JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   LGBT Mommies and Mommies to be (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f302-lgbt-mommies-and-mommies-to/)
-   -   Wife is pregnant, not sure how to tell my Mother... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f302-lgbt-mommies-and-mommies-to/2678463-wife-pregnant-not-sure-how-to-tell-my-mother.html)

MrsPalumbo September 12th, 2013 10:22 AM

Wife is pregnant, not sure how to tell my Mother...

My wife and I have been married for 3 years, together for 5, and my Mother has come around over time and has been supportive of us up until recently. I mentioned us wanting to try for a baby last year and she completely shut off. She said it was too "weird" for her and there was too much technology in something that's supposed to be natural. I tried telling her it was the same process as a straight couple would have to go through if they were having fertility issues but she just can't wrap her mind around it. I have a daughter from a college romance so she told me that we should just adopt, it's not like I haven't had the experience before. I should find one that needs a good home like people do with animals. I was completely appalled.

Fastforward to present time, we decided my wife would be the one to carry since she has never been pregnant and she is now 7 weeks along. We're ecstatic!!! Unfortunately, we can't figure out how to tell my Mom. My Aunt told me she mentioned us wanting an "artificial baby" so that makes us even more apprehensive. I refuse to allow her to treat our older daughter like gold and not give our baby the time of day because it's "artificial" or has no blood relation to her. Despite her close mindedness, she's still my Mom. I feel like the happiest time in our life right now is going to force me to shut her out of my life if she responds the way I think she will...

Any advice is greatly appreciated and welcomed :(

LivyLove October 3rd, 2013 11:47 AM

Re: Wife is pregnant, not sure how to tell my Mother...

All I can say is you're going to have to give it time. Either sit down with her or tell her over the phone. If you think she is going to say crazy shut her down and hang up. Thats my take on it.

My wife and I are currently TTC (me carrying) and should I become pregnant, I will tell my mom but if she starts to act crazy and say hurtful things I will tell her that when she is ready to not say things that could potentially damage our relationship and the relationship she has with her future grandchild, I will talk to her.

MrsPalumbo March 6th, 2014 11:14 AM

Re: Wife is pregnant, not sure how to tell my Mother...

I'm just seeing your response now! I wound up telling her closer to 12 weeks and she acted like she had never said those awful things and that she was actually happy about it. She has some mental health issues so you never know what you're going to get with her. DW is now 8mo pg and when we see my Mom she acts interested, but we never hear from her much at all. We'll see how things are after Max is born...