JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Making your own cloth diapers (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1620-making-your-own-cloth-diapers/)
-   -   Altering design of AIO's? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1620-making-your-own-cloth-diapers/2317997-altering-design-aios.html)

ash0314 May 2nd, 2011 06:50 PM

Altering design of AIO's?

So I want to make some all in one's but I don't want the plastic on the outside, I would rather have soft flannel. Is there anything wrong with putting an additional layer of flannel on the outside so the PUL is actually in between layers? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

*~~Shannon~~* May 2nd, 2011 11:06 PM

Re: Altering design of AIO's?

The problem with this (and I learned the hard way) is that you end up with wicking around the edges. Where all of the material is touching, some of the moisture transfers to the flannel. I think next time, I may try sewing the flannel to a piece of PUL with the flannel just a little smaller than the PUL. I may end up doing two layers of PUL since the outer one will have holes in it.

greenchild May 3rd, 2011 09:15 AM

Or you'd have to use FOE, I think then you might be okay, as long as the PUL was just a bit wider than the flannel.

I like to use fleece on the outer with a PUL inner. Granted I made them into covers, not an AIO but you could make them an AIO with a fleece outer and PUL sandwiched in there. I haven't had any leaks yet doing it this way :)

They also make fleece edging, they have 1/2" wide in white at Joann Fabrics. I haven't tried it out yet since I don't like to zigzag stitch over the elastic, but it would work :)

Luv2Laugh May 4th, 2011 01:07 PM

Not only the issue with the wicking on the flannel, the flannel will typicall wear out and get fuzzy before the pul would ever wear out. Are you opposed to using a poly fabric? That wouldn't wick.

pristineserendipity March 15th, 2012 07:13 PM

Would a cotton outer with pul in between wick as well? By poly do you mean polyester? Would it need to be 100% polyester? Sorry I'm a newb lol

Luv2Laugh March 16th, 2012 05:31 AM

It may wick. When I use cotton outer fabric with hidden pul, I spray the cotton fabric with water proofing spray before I sew it together. And make sure you use polyester thread only becuase that will def. wick.
QUOTE=pristineserendipity;25762294]Would a cotton outer with pul in between wick as well? By poly do you mean polyester? Would it need to be 100% polyester? Sorry I'm a newb lol[/QUOTE]

pristineserendipity March 16th, 2012 06:23 PM

Awesome tips thank you! Didn't realize they had spray that I could use. Hopefully I can find it around here

Luv2Laugh March 16th, 2012 06:39 PM

[Not sure where you live, but they carry it in the hunting/sporting section of Walmart. It has a bright orange cap:")QUOTE=pristineserendipity;25768347]Awesome tips thank you! Didn't realize they had spray that I could use. Hopefully I can find it around here[/QUOTE]

SuJo March 17th, 2012 09:59 AM

Yes, 100% polyester fabric would be perfect.

pristineserendipity March 22nd, 2012 03:54 PM

Thanks I'll have to check my Walmart! Does anyone know if it's safe to use while pregnant?