JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   March 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1855-march-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Question for mommas out there who have experienced a miscarriage. (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1855-march-2013-playroom/2548510-question-for-mommas-out-there-who-have-experienced-miscarriage.html)

Mrs.Storm July 12th, 2012 06:57 AM

Question for mommas out there who have experienced a miscarriage.

This is my first time ever being pregnant, so everything is new to me. I'm sure this is a dumb question, but for those of you who have experienced a miscarriage, I was wondering if it is something that usually gives some signs, or red flags or anything a while before it happens, or if you could be feeling completely normal and then it hits you?

I mean absolutely no disrespect with this question, I promise! And I do apologize if it is in bad taste... Just let me know if it is... Thanks ladies.

LauraTTCat42 July 12th, 2012 07:13 AM

Re: Question for mommas out there who have experienced a miscarriage.

Lurking in DDC and saw your post :sneak:

I have 5 angels in heaven - the only thing I can tell you is not to worry or think about having a m/c, you may drive yourself crazy worrying about every little thing. There is normally not much you can do to prevent m/c in the first trimester so just follow all your dr's recommendations and live a healthy lifestyle.

Don't stress, just EMBRACE this gift you have been given and ENJOY every moment :bighug:

Wishing you a very happy and healthy 9 months

SammyJ July 12th, 2012 07:13 AM

No worries! I think having a miscarriage is probably most pregnant women's biggest fear. I had one at five weeks back in February. Because mine was so early there hadn't been much time for some symptoms like nausea to even make an appearance yet. I do know that something felt "off" right from the get go. For one, I didn't get my bfp until 14dpo, I wasn't as tired as I am with this pregnancy but my breasts still hurt. I also had lots of cramping, which is also completely normal, but as soon as I saw pink spotting, I knew it was over.

For most women, I think, they start to notice their symptoms going away first, but my breasts and nipples were tender clear up until I was actually bleeding. Honestly I think the experience is very dependent on the woman and how far along she is at the time. Even though miscarriage is still my biggest fear right now, I have to keep reminding myself that there is not much I can go to prevent it from happening again. That's probably not very comforting but I wish you a very happy and healthy nine months :)

MsHannahSB July 12th, 2012 07:18 AM

I've had three miscarriages that I know of. 7 weeks, 8 weeks, and 13 weeks. Honestly...I didn't have any symptoms with any of them until the bleeding started...then I started cramping and having the normal period symptoms.

Mrs.Storm July 12th, 2012 07:23 AM

Thank you so much Laura and Sammy.

I will try to push the negativity out of my mind and enjoy my gift. Your right, if it happens, it happens, and there is nothing I can do besides trying to stay happy and healthy. Thanks again ladies, you have actually put my mind at ease. :) <3

livinglife06 July 12th, 2012 07:27 AM

I've had 2 (10 weeks & 11 weeks) I didn't notice anything either until I started bleeding. Just try and stay positive and keep your mind off of it as much as possible even though it's hard!!

snlemon July 12th, 2012 07:29 AM

It's very hard not to be overwhelmed with fear, especially when you have experienced It before. I'm struggling with myself still, to enjoy the moments I have in this pregnancy without fearing a loss. I didn't have any warning signs, and you truly can't let yourself dwell on it.

miniRazz July 12th, 2012 08:00 AM

I had a "missed" misscarriage in April. I was send for a dating ultrasound and the was called by the doctor later that day, when we went in they said they couldn't find my baby's heartbeat (I was 8w 5d along). I didn't believe them because I had so many pregnancy symptoms (boobs extremely sore and bad nausea, even as she told me). I did remember the day before waking up in the morning and getting really sick (I had never thrown up before) and thought it was a little weird. That is when the Dr think it happened and that was my body telling me.
So basically I didn't get any signs it was happening and it didn't happen on it's own, I had to go in for a D&C 10 days later.

Even after having that a few months ago I am putting it out of my mind and not stressing that it will happen this time, the more positive energy you have going to that little baby inside of you the better.
Here's to a healthy and happy baby for all of us in March! :)

MsHannahSB July 12th, 2012 08:25 AM

I had the same thing with my last miscarriage, Minirazz. My body didn't want to miscarry the baby. I was 13 weeks, but the baby only developed to 6 weeks. They put me on medication to start the miscarriage, but that didn't work...so I ended up having a D&C.

miniRazz July 12th, 2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsHannahSB (Post 26263594)
I had the same thing with my last miscarriage, Minirazz. My body didn't want to miscarry the baby. I was 13 weeks, but the baby only developed to 6 weeks. They put me on medication to start the miscarriage, but that didn't work...so I ended up having a D&C.

I had heard such bad things about the medication that brings on the MC that I didn't want to go there (my aunt works at a nurses hotline so I was able to get lots of info about it before I made my decision). One of the Dr's at the maternity clinic was pushing me to get the drug, I don't like being pushed into doing something that I don't want to do. So I am making sure I don't get that Dr this time when I'm at the maternity clinic.

rachna July 12th, 2012 11:10 AM

I had a very early one, probably more of a chemical pregnancy, and honestly for me I knew it was not going to stick. I cannot say how, it just did not feel right. I was probably 5 weeks or so. I took the test and a few days later started bleeding and it did not surprise me. I was sad, but not, because I knew it was not going to stick.

*MomofO&Nat* July 12th, 2012 05:32 PM

Mine was at 8 weeks. I had all the symptoms I get leading up to a BFP, but then I had no symptoms of pregnancy and felt great. I thought it was wonderful since I was so sick with my first baby. But I soon realized not sick sometimes equals not such a good thing. I didn't have food aversions, smell aversions, the only symptom I had was bloating. Then, the day before I got a crushing headache, like a migraine of sorts. I think it was my hormones tanking. I should have known. That day, we had our first u/s and they said baby was measuring 2 weeks behind. I knew in the pit of my stomach but held on to hope since I thought maybe I had my dates wrong. The next day, it started. So headache and then back pain were my clues leading up to it :(

KtKuKi July 12th, 2012 06:19 PM

I had no pregnancy symptoms with mine. I just felt off. I didnt want to tell people I was pregnant. I had a day were I sorted a little, then a week later i spotted some more. I decided to go in for an u/s at 9w4d and measured 7w1d and no heartbeat. I actually lost it the next day.

MamaFish July 12th, 2012 06:30 PM

I've had 5 mc and never had any signs until bleeding starts, although with the last one I just "knew" something wasn't right for about 3 weeks prior.

L-SBB July 13th, 2012 07:42 AM

well, my experience probably won't reassure you but i'll share it since i think the worry & fear of a thing is often worse than the thing itself.

My first loss was a total shock...absolutely not a single symptom of a problem, no spotting, no bad cramping, nothing. In fact I had such severe m/s that I was in the ER the week before to be put on meds & IVs...and i remember the ER doc & nurses telling me that as miserable as I was this was a really good sign that I had a strong pregnancy. And they were wrong. I went for my 8wk u/s and the baby measured perfectly and there was this beautiful hb...this was our first pregnancy so we didn't pick up on the u/s tech not telling us the heart rate or giving us a picture that it was a bad sign. We met with OB who broke news to us that while we had a hb it was a little slow for the age/size and they labeled it a "threatened miscarriage" and had us come back 2 days later for another u/s...at that u/s the hb was gone and I eventually had a D&C.

My 2nd loss was the exact opposite of the first...problems began to surface very quickly (just after 5ws) with spotting that wouldn't stop and infrequent but very severe cramps. I developed almost no m/s at all and all of my pregnancy symptoms were slight to none. With the spotting betas were pulled...all rising, but not fast enough. We went through over 3 weeks of not knowing what would happen...the baby measured behind consistently but against all odds, a hb started that initially was at the right rate. But eventually m/c happened anyway.

What i would tell you though is don't let the fear of what could happen rob you of your joy and excitement in this pregnancy. Miscarriage is a very unfortunate & heartbreaking part of pregnancy, and a lot of women will experience it...but many won't. If the worst does happen, you will survive it (i promise) but the chances are greatly in your favor that you will have no problems at all and I'd hate to see you consumed with worry - which is easy to do in a DDC where you will sadly see some women suffer losses - over something that you ultimately can't control. (((HUGS)))

TaraJo29 July 13th, 2012 08:11 AM

I had no clue I was going to miscarry when I did (around 11 weeks). I woke up in the night and got up to pee or something (I don't remember exactly) and there was a spot of blood on the bed. I looked in my underwear and realized I was spotting. Then I had an ultrasound and realized I had a "blighted ovum." It was another day or 2 when I really started bleeding a lot.

Looking back I think I remembered when someone asked how I was feeling, I said, I was feeling really sick for a while, but now I feel a lot better. I said that apparently my morning sickness went away early, and I didn't think much of it. :( But I wonder if that's when it happened.

HOWEVER, in later pregnancies I remember worrying whenever I started "feeling better" (i.e. less morning sickness symptoms, etc) and thought "OH NO." But my baby was completely fine. :) So you really can't know until you know or have major warning signs like a lot of cramping or bleeding. Otherwise, try not to worry because symptoms or lack thereof don't tell you anything.

If it makes you feel better, I believe once they detect a heartbeat by ultrasound, the chance of a miscarriage drops a lot. :)