JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   March 2014 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1970-march-2014-playroom/)
-   -   Circumcision (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1970-march-2014-playroom/2685709-circumcision.html)

Duncan October 14th, 2013 09:17 AM

Circumcision

I am not looking forward to this decision.
As a circumcised male i have always wondered if i was missing some of the great feeling during sex. But I can never know.
That leads me to think that my boy should be able to make this decision on his own in the future.

I could be absolutely crazy, but what are some other opinions in this matter?

madis-mama17 October 14th, 2013 11:02 AM

Re: Circumcision

Well I am a female and my husband is circumcised....but working in the medical field and see and taking care of men who are not circumcised my children will be. The fore skin can get very easily infected and cause infections. And if it's not pulled back down over the tip it can cause the penis to swell and get infected to the point of having to be removed (I've seen this happen 2 in my 10+ yrs of my medical career) anyways just my 2 cents

HeatherLyn429 October 14th, 2013 12:06 PM

I say do your research on it and talk to your pediatrician for his/her opinion. I curcumsuzed my first four boys because I honestly didn't bother researching if and just assumed it was the thing to do. My last son I spent a lot of time researching it and talking to my pediatrician and made the decision not to circumcisize him. Very happy with my decision.

Six14 October 14th, 2013 12:28 PM

The advice that was given to me is that the boy should have what his Daddy has.

C-Rob October 14th, 2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madis-mama17 (Post 27726665)
Well I am a female and my husband is circumcised....but working in the medical field and see and taking care of men who are not circumcised my children will be. The fore skin can get very easily infected and cause infections. And if it's not pulled back down over the tip it can cause the penis to swell and get infected to the point of having to be removed (I've seen this happen 2 in my 10+ yrs of my medical career) anyways just my 2 cents

^ This. From a medical side, it's better (for lack of a better word). Plus, the older the person, the more painful and problematic the procedure can be. Are you considering waiting for your child to be over 18 to make that decision? If he has been one way, he won't know any different. What might change his mind would be research (if he did any) and any medical problems that arise.

jes81878 October 14th, 2013 02:52 PM

My two boys (from a previous marriage) are circumcised, but my current husband is not. We have been together for almost 10 years now, and he has never had an infection or problem from not being circumcised. I can tell you that he has to work hard to keep it clean and not smelling. I would prefer him to be circumcised and joke with him about having it done now. We are expecting a boy, and he will be circumcised. I don't know that sex feels better for a guy uncircumcised, but if a boy is circumcised from the beginning...I don't think they would know the difference and not feel like they are missing something.

Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy October 14th, 2013 04:51 PM

Jennifer I really appreciate that honesty and your position. The way I see it is my husband who is circumcised enjoyed sex just fine. My son is circumcised and I did look into both ways from the time I was 15 weeks. I don't regret it and I assume we will do the same with the next but we will still read up again and talk about it again.

Butterflykisses2 October 14th, 2013 05:25 PM

We didn't circumcise our first and same for this baby if it's another boy. We feel it's their choice and we shouldn't make such a permanent decision for them. But to each their own, do your research and make the best choice for you/your family

jes81878 October 14th, 2013 06:32 PM

Sarah, I agree and depending on what you read, I think you could make an argument for circumcision or not circumcising. I can tell you my husband is all on board for the circumcision too.

Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy October 14th, 2013 09:02 PM

I've also never met a man whose pissed off their parents circumcised them. I totally understand both sides I really do. But I like hearing from an non circd guys point as well.

Mrs. D October 15th, 2013 03:32 AM

I feel that circumcision is an unnecessary medical procedure. Yes occasionally some medical issues may arise from the foreskin being intact. But medical issues arise from people having toenails, too, and we don't routinely surgically remove babies' toenails.

Also, I have known of people who have had problems with the circumcision going wrong, or having to get it re-done.

But, mostly my stance is on the "if it ain't broken don't fix it" front.

I would just advise that, if you decide to have it done, be sure you've studied it a bit so you can understand how it will be done. What kind of anesthesia will the doctor use, what method for the procedure, what risks might be involved with that method, and so on. And will they let you be there, hold ing your baby, when it is done? Some of the methods I've seen are just plain cruel, and look more like something you'd see in a torture chamber than a doctors office. So just make sure you know what will be going on or, better yet, insist on being there.

Jen@FirsAve October 15th, 2013 03:57 AM

I'm quite common to not circ over here in the UK, unless for a religious reason. If we have a boy we wont circ - to be honest it likely wouldnt even be something we considered. DF isnt circ'd, we've been together 8 years and i've never known it cause him any problems.

Third is unpredictable October 15th, 2013 06:34 AM

I live in the UK, here it is uncommon to be circumcised, the opposite to America. I completely disagree that it is better health wise to circumcise a boy and completely unecessary (I am a health care professional). None of my previous partners have been circumcised, nor have they had any problems with regards to infection (I think it is a common myth in the states that if a boy/man is not circumcised they will suffer because of this. It is a personal choice and you should definitely research this. Unfortunately a lot of people on forums like this offer advice based on what they hear or what they think they know and do not give properly researched advice. You then have to take into account whether or not the research you do find is potentially flawed. What country was it performed in, what where the demographics, was it a small cohort, is it recent etc. I have a 6 year old boy who wasn't circumcised and has never had a problem in the pee pee department (of course this doesn't represent the majority as an individual case). I don't see the point in making a baby go through a surgical procedure for no reason other than social reasons. Medically it is unnecessary, but as a parent it is your choice, whether that is ethical or not I remain unconvinced. We don't perform other unnecessary surgical procedures on our babies, why this!?

JillyP October 15th, 2013 08:42 AM

If it was really healthier to be circumcised, i believe evolution would have caught on (or will perhaps someday). But for now, the foreskin still exists. Even if i don't fully understand or appreciate its role, its existence has survived this far, and that still means something, imo. It is just so 'human' to assume we can design a better human than nature can, lol.
I realize, once again, that my philosophy isn't widely accepted in America. As with many parenting choices, i would rather ease or treat natural complications if they arise, than to actively request an optional procedure that also carries its own, unnatural, complications.
And i hate to offend other parents by getting too passionate about this, but however neutral i try try try to remain, i am definately not on the fence. I look forward to the day our culture will stop accepting infant circumcision as an ethical choice. But until then, i just do my part by refusing to perpetuate the trend.

one.juniper October 15th, 2013 10:00 AM

We didn't circumcise my son. I didn't see the point. We wouldn't have been doing it for religious reasons so it would have been a purely cosmetic procedure and we both thought it was silly to put him through it. We haven't had any issues with cleanliness. In fact.. until children are several years old the skin doesn't even retract so I don't clean him any different then a baby that is circumcised.

Vandertramp October 15th, 2013 10:54 AM

We have circumsized both of our sons and would do so in the future. Most of our family including my Husband are jewish and circumsized. I believe about a year ago the AAP came out with a luke warm endorsement in substance saying after a review of the evidence they believed the benefits out weighed the risk. That said this is one of those issues that can be polarizing and depending on what you read and who you talk to educated minds can differ. You should do whatever you think is best. I attached the AAP link if anyone is curious. Newborn Male Circumcision

Alaska Baby14 October 15th, 2013 11:05 AM

I've always hoped I'd always have girls so I'd never be faced with this decision. I have done some research but that was more so w the first pregnancy and I had a girl. The possibility this one is a boy is significantly possible and the circumcision is on my mind. I've been with guys who are and aren't and the one that wasn't never seemed to have any issues... But we will still circumcise if it is a boy. And we have our reasons.

sydneyrose October 15th, 2013 11:12 AM

I had one of my boys done right after birth and one that was hospitalized for many months didn't get one until this year and he's now two.

I can tell you- my son stayed in the hospital for 9 months and he had a lot of UTIs and it's not like the nurses dont know how to clean around foreskin, you know?

He definitely felt different from my other one.
So, he needed a hernia repair this year and we paid for circumcision and his infections had stopped and his skin was tight so it would sometimes rub and cause it to be raw.

I advise circumcision just because its a lot easier to take care of and if it's tight, like my son's was, its just unnecessary pain.

Now, they both know they are alike.
Also, doing it surgery alone is a couple thousand dollars.
It was an extra 400 for us because we put it into another operation so we didnt have to pay for anesthesia or anything.

And this time, i'd pay to have it done at birth again.
I've been with guys who have had it and my DH does not have his--

I've asked if it bothers them and they said there are pros and cons.
Thats my two cents.

Melissa.Anne October 15th, 2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JillyP (Post 27728946)
If it was really healthier to be circumcised, i believe evolution would have caught on (or will perhaps someday). But for now, the foreskin still exists. Even if i don't fully understand or appreciate its role, its existence has survived this far, and that still means something, imo. It is just so 'human' to assume we can design a better human than nature can, lol. I realize, once again, that my philosophy isn't widely accepted in America. As with many parenting choices, i would rather ease or treat natural complications if they arise, than to actively request an optional procedure that also carries its own, unnatural, complications. And i hate to offend other parents by getting too passionate about this, but however neutral i try try try to remain, i am definately not on the fence. I look forward to the day our culture will stop accepting infant circumcision as an ethical choice. But until then, i just do my part by refusing to perpetuate the trend.

Agree with this 100%.

My husband is not circumcised, and has never had any problems at all. The frequency of circumcision is really decreasing in North America, and I have to believe it is because people are finally realizing it's an unnecessary procedure. I'm thankful my husband wasn't, because if we ever have a boy, they'd circumcise him over my dead body - and luckily I won't have to fight hubby on it. The 'look like dad' excuse is BS in my opinion. As you can tell, I'm very passionate about this topic too...

Duncan October 23rd, 2013 06:53 PM

Thank you everyone for your opinion. I definitely agree with some of the statements here and disagree with others.
I am not bothered that I was cut but have wondered what I may be missing, so that rules out one comment
From my research it appears the rate of circumsion in the Us is dropping.

The things I do worry about is the possibility of fighting with doctors and nurses who may want to retract it before it's ready. And the care aspects which are new to me . But I figured out my daughter so the boy won't be too much of a problem