JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   May 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1872-may-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Matchy-matchy (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1872-may-2013-playroom/2644115-matchy-matchy.html)

ashj_1218 April 17th, 2013 09:18 PM

Matchy-matchy

I am wondering how other mamas feel about that whole concept.

Clearly I have two boys close in age. I also happen to have TONS of friends who also have two + boys close in age (bizarrely not because of that fact...just seems that we all went on to have more boys!)

And some of them constantly dress their children in the same clothes. What's up with that? Isn't part of the fun of having kids is being able to dress them in super-cute clothes and pick things that fit their little personalities? (I mean, come on, I can't be the only one who still kinda loves playing dress-up with my kids!? ;) ).

I guess I just don't get the intrigue of having two kids (twins, non-twins, whatever) and putting them in the same outfits. I love dressing each of my boys nicely...but even their "style" is totally different. My older boy pulls off plaid shorts with polos soooo well and my younger dude looks adorable in jeans, overalls, and anything casual. And their coloring is so different that I don't even like them in many of the same colors. I believe we have ONE matching shirt set (my mom bought them). They wore them on the same day ONCE, at my older sons insistence. And then I never put the shirt on my younger son again. My older son still wears it though. It suits him better.

What about you?
If you have two children of the same gender, do you dress them alike?
If you were to have two children of the same gender, would you do it?
Do you think it's cute? Strange? Fun?

Mrsbowbin April 17th, 2013 09:21 PM

Re: Matchy-matchy

I'm a fool for it!!! I am hoping we have two boys close. My mom always matched my brother and I and we are 4 years apart.

rheaimedved April 17th, 2013 09:28 PM

Weird. I have to cut this short in order to remain polite. :)

EverydayJoy April 17th, 2013 10:33 PM

I don't care for it, I think children naturally try to assert their individuality when they get older, and I think if they were to have an opinion, they'd probably want to be dressed differently than each other. My mom always made it a point to have my sister and I each in different colors--we sometimes had matching outfits, but always different colors. My color was purple, sis's was pink.
I will have two of a kind here, pretty soon, and even from the get-go I wanted the littlest to have special things of his own, and I kind of want him to have a different clothing color scheme than his big brother.

Ryan and Alex's Mommy April 17th, 2013 10:50 PM

I match my boys sometimes....but they also like to match. Like if I get one shirt or pj's for one boy and the other knows he has the same shirt/pj's he will ask to wear it and then they get excited to see each other in the same shirt/pj's. I see nothing wrong with it as long as your not forcing it. And if they like it and have fun with it then that's all that matters.

4 boys April 18th, 2013 02:40 AM

I like having my boys in similar clothes, like all wearing jeans and a button-up shirt, or at one point they all had team Canada hockey jerseys, but that's about as matchy as I get and they still wear their own colours, even if the type of clothing is the same. Plus mine are old enough that they generally pick their own clothes now so they don't match very often. I wouldn't do it all the time.

jcperez April 18th, 2013 04:52 AM

I have a friend who has 3 boys ranging all different ages and she does this for EVERYTHING! She will dress them in the same outsfits for EVERY HOLIDAY or special trips like to the zoo. Personally, I think its a bit tacky. The only time I dress my 2 boys somewhat alike is when I do Christmas pictures. When I say somewhat alike, I mean having them both wear cream sweaters that are different styles.

MrsLisaT April 18th, 2013 05:05 AM

I don't have two kids but my older sister and I are less than 2 years apart. Our mom would dress us in matching clothes when we were younger. I think it's cute :) But, we loved doing it. And it wasn't our entire wardrobe, just a few things.

crunchywannabe April 18th, 2013 05:49 AM

I think if I had a bunch of kids I'm match them in the same colour just to keep track of them out in public ;) BUT otherwise I'm going to be lucky if my kid's top matches their bottoms... I suck at picking out clothes... I always let the kids I care for choose what they want to wear, and if that means a pink skirt, with blue top and mis matched leggings.... well "that's what the 4 yr old chose"... no dirt on my hands :)

MrsNHigh April 18th, 2013 05:54 AM

Nope. It bugs me too. I won't be doing it.

selenamdz April 18th, 2013 06:40 AM

I match my boys at times haha
I think it's cute and they like it.
:) sometimes I wont match them exactly but the same pants in different colors, that kind of thing.
I think it's fun because they are close in age and all boys!

Memi April 18th, 2013 07:13 AM

To dress them alike on a daily basis is really odd to me. I do not plan to dress my boys in matching outfits ever. The only thing I could see is coordinating their outfits for special occasions (like pictures or Easter), but please notice I said coordinating outfits, not matching. I still don't think for those special occasions I would put them in exact matching outfits. I'm with you, I like the individuality, and even tho they are close in age they aren't the same age so I'd imagine finding the same clothing for the two sizes wouldn't be the easiest task anyways.

Purrrrrrr April 18th, 2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Memi (Post 27296294)
To dress them alike on a daily basis is really odd to me. I do not plan to dress my boys in matching outfits ever. The only thing I could see is coordinating their outfits for special occasions (like pictures or Easter), but please notice I said coordinating outfits, not matching. I still don't think for those special occasions I would put them in exact matching outfits. I'm with you, I like the individuality, and even tho they are close in age they aren't the same age so I'd imagine finding the same clothing for the two sizes wouldn't be the easiest task anyways.

This! I think for special occasions, matching or coordinating outfits is no big deal (coordinating outfits are way cuter than simply matching them though). This is what Gabe's gonna wear when we bring home Sam (or a little shorts/shirt outfit with a whale on it that's no longer on the Carter's website for some reason) and this is what Sam's gonna wear (or this one with the whale).

My BIL and his wife dress the triplets identically every single day. I find it totally creepy. I don't think it would weird me out if they bought the same outfit in different colors for each of them, but they dress them in the same exact outfit, every single day...

Ryan and Alex's Mommy April 18th, 2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crunchywannabe (Post 27296048)
I think if I had a bunch of kids I'm match them in the same colour just to keep track of them out in public ;) BUT otherwise I'm going to be lucky if my kid's top matches their bottoms... I suck at picking out clothes... I always let the kids I care for choose what they want to wear, and if that means a pink skirt, with blue top and mis matched leggings.... well "that's what the 4 yr old chose"... no dirt on my hands :)

Oh I match my boys when we go some where busy like the zoo and something with a bright color to. It's just way easier to find them if they run a few feet ahead or get lost in the crowd looking at an animal.

markswife April 18th, 2013 08:50 AM

I might do this for a special occasion or family pictures but every single day is just weird in my book.

Purrrrrrr April 18th, 2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan and Alex's Mommy (Post 27296542)
Oh I match my boys when we go some where busy like the zoo and something with a bright color to. It's just way easier to find them if they run a few feet ahead or get lost in the crowd looking at an animal.

This is definitely one of those times where it's totally cool for everyone to be dressed in the exact same shirt. My husband makes fun of me when I say this, but I told him in a few years, I wanna take a big family vacation with his family to Disney (there will be at least 5 boys under the age of 7 at the time) and they're all gonna wear the same shirt so, god forbid, one of them runs off, I can grab the nearest cast member and say, "They were wearing this!" while holding up one of the other kids and find them, hahaha.

mrsjl April 18th, 2013 08:56 AM

I don't have 2 of the same gender (yet) but I do like to dress them so they coordinate sometimes. when this baby is born I may dress the boys alike sometimes, but not all the time.

besides, my kids wear hand-me-downs 99% of the time, so they don't often have the same clothes. I will post some pics of my kids in what I think are cute coordinating outfits... brb

mrsjl April 18th, 2013 09:07 AM

they are far left, she's wearing pink stripes and he's wearing blue
http://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...ddf017dd4d.jpg

turquoise
http://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...6f90f2f325.jpg

blue
http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...1354c1a57b.jpg

both have navy blue

http://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...348795a18a.jpg

green
http://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...626f9240f3.jpg

naplesmomma April 18th, 2013 10:10 AM

Ha ha .. what a funny topic. Inspired quite a range of responses! My girls are 18 months apart and they will sometimes wear the same outfit because if one gets something and the other doesn't, they will get upset. I can get away with getting the same thing in different colors but then, one decides she hates her color and wants the other ones color !?!? some days I cannot win

rheaimedved April 18th, 2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naplesmomma (Post 27296786)
Ha ha .. what a funny topic. Inspired quite a range of responses! My girls are 18 months apart and they will sometimes wear the same outfit because if one gets something and the other doesn't, they will get upset. I can get away with getting the same thing in different colors but then, one decides she hates her color and wants the other ones color !?!? some days I cannot win

I've heard from several people that matching clothes is a much bigger deal with girls than boys, in the respect that girls will throw a fit if they don't have the same outfits as their sister(s), whereas boys don't care so much.