JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   May 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1872-may-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Membrane sweeping (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1872-may-2013-playroom/2644220-membrane-sweeping.html)

rheaimedved April 18th, 2013 10:23 AM

Membrane sweeping

Anyone ever had this done??

My doctor offered to sweep my membranes next week, since I'm about 2cm and 90% effaced. Just curious if anyone has any personal experience with it.

It's unlikely I'd have it done, if only because I KNOW it's better for the baby to stay in as long as possible... but it's difficult not to entertain the idea.

Purrrrrrr April 18th, 2013 10:31 AM

Re: Membrane sweeping

I didn't have it done last time 'cause I was GBS+, but I've heard mixed reviews. One friend had it done with both her babies and nothing happened and another had it done and went into labor that night.

It all depends on how ready your body is to go into labor as to whether or not it'll do anything. Mostly, the two ladies said it was just uncomfortable and they were a bit crampy afterward.

mrsjl April 18th, 2013 10:38 AM

I had it done with both kids.

#1 was done at 41w2d, she was born 24 hours later

#2 was done at 39w5d, he was born 2 days later

#3 will be done on April 29th at 38 weeks

TeeCee April 18th, 2013 10:46 AM

My doctor asked if I wanted this done at 39 weeks.

I am seriously thinking of giving it a shot.

rheaimedved April 18th, 2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeCee (Post 27296879)
My doctor asked if I wanted this done at 39 weeks.

I am seriously thinking of giving it a shot.

Yeah I can understand that. It's difficult NOT to seriously consider it.

TeeCee April 18th, 2013 11:01 AM

The worst that can happen is feeling crampy. But I feel that now so it wont hurt to give it a try.
And best thing that could happen, is we have our babies :)

markswife April 18th, 2013 11:03 AM

I have my ultrasound tomorrow to see how big baby girl is and what the fluid levels look like and to put together a birth plan for her. I plan to ask about this and hopefully have it done if it's an option. I've heard that it hurts but don't have any personal experience with it. I was too chicken to ask last time.

Memi April 18th, 2013 11:40 AM

I had it done last time at my 39 week appt. It was painful and very aggressivr. What theyre doing is basically breaking those blood vessels that attach the bag of waters to your uterine wall. I went into labor 6 days later so I don't necessarily think it did anything for me. I wont be having that done again.

Liztastic April 18th, 2013 11:48 AM

I had it done with my 1st DD day before my EDD, lost my plug right after and had her the next day.

#2, never had it done as she was born at 38.5 weeks

#3 had it done at 38 weeks, was induced at 39 weeks, so it didn't work.

From my understanding it will work if your body is ready, I plan to have it done at my 38 week appointment as they are worried about babies size and are talking induction at 39 weeks again and I'd like to avoid induction at all costs.

MrsLisaT April 18th, 2013 12:33 PM

I'm also GBS+ so I don't have to decide if I want it done or not. I would probably opt out though unless I was past my due date. I think baby should come when baby is ready with no outside interferences, unless of course if there is a medical reason for it. (Just my personal opinion though I understand why many women want all the help they can get to get things moving at this point!)

kary4 April 18th, 2013 01:02 PM

I personally wouldn't do it. I would rather the baby come on it's own, like Lisa said.

rheaimedved April 18th, 2013 01:55 PM

Lisa and Kary-- I totally understand that sentiment. It's the biggest "intervention" I would consider that isn't medically necessary. Still in the decision process... the faster this baby comes, the easier it'll be :)

naplesmomma April 18th, 2013 02:02 PM

At my last exam before DD1 was born, I am pretty sure my doctor did that without asking. Boy it hurt!!!! Never again

pressedfairie April 18th, 2013 04:21 PM

I plan on getting this done this time around, maybe as early as 38 weeks. If I don't go into labor on my own by my EDD, I have to have a scheduled C-section, because of my GD, and I really, really, really want my VBAC.

I didn't have it done with DS, but I wish I had. I was 3-4 cm for almost 3 weeks and even had "bulging waters" the last week. I can't help but think that it might have prevented my C-section, only because he was so big by the time I went in for induction.

jl046100 April 18th, 2013 04:47 PM

I had it done with my first around 40 wks I don't remember how much it hurt cause it was 6 yrs ago but It took me 7 days to go from 1cm to 10cm so I don't thinking done much good x

SunnyBunnyMama April 18th, 2013 05:07 PM

Never heard of it-- googling it right after I post this. But ouch, sounds painful! (coming from someone who's planning to do a NCB)

EverydayJoy April 18th, 2013 05:18 PM

I can't say I'd refuse it if I go past-due. But for now I'm not really interested (although it hasn't been offered yet either). Prior to being in the final 2.5 weeks before my due date, I was all for waiting till baby was ready to come--including if he went past due--but right now I just want to be done.

SunnyBunnyMama April 18th, 2013 06:05 PM

my midwife wanted to check me today and I said no. I actually told her I am not interested in knowing if I am dilating/effacing in the coming weeks either (I'm 36 wks). I guess I am the strange one who's not all that excited to speed up labor :\

rheaimedved April 18th, 2013 09:59 PM

This is interesting, and useful if you're hoping to avoid being inducted: "A meta-analysis of 22 randomized trials noted that membrane sweeping reduces the likelihood of induction." from this http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23009965

rheaimedved April 18th, 2013 10:11 PM

And this study is promising: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19895357

"CONCLUSIONS:
Sweeping of membranes is a safe method to reduce the length of term in pregnancy and the incidence of prolonged gestation in a low-risk population. There is no evidence that sweeping the membranes increases the risk of maternal or neonatal adverse outcomes."