JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   May 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1872-may-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Vomit (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1872-may-2013-playroom/2649732-vomit.html)

Skimboardin Mama May 10th, 2013 07:46 PM

Vomit

When is it a concern? When do you take them to the doc/urgent care/ er?

Koa is EBF and we had some projectile vomit here this afternoon and now he's just passed out. Of course I'm worrying and probably over thinking it all, but I never had vomiting issues with DD. She still hasn't gotten sick like that and she's 3 (knock on wood).

He last nursed at about 5:30 and threw everything up through his mouth and nose. No fever. It's now 7:45 so hopefully he feels up to nursing soon.

markswife May 10th, 2013 07:58 PM

Re: Vomit

I would call just to make sure. Caroline spits up every now and then but it's never been projectile vomit. That would make me a bit nervous. Hope it's nothing.

4 boys May 10th, 2013 08:18 PM

As long as it doesn't continue, I wouldn't worry too much. My kids all did that once or twice and seemed ok. It's scary though. Doesn't hurt to call if you are worried.

Sweet_Mama May 10th, 2013 09:32 PM

Jesse used to projectile vomit all the time. I would let down real fast and he would suck hard so sometimes I had to stop him after a few mins, burp him, then feed again. He is my second son by the way. So far johnny has projectile vomitted twice because he gulped a lot of air

Skimboardin Mama May 10th, 2013 09:43 PM

Thanks guys. I fed him at 5:30. He vomitted at 6:30 and 6:50 in his sleep. He slept til 9 and woke up wanting to nurse. I got the run around calling hospitals with no luck and then finally someone told me that on the back of almost every medical card is a 1800 # for 24 hour RN advice. They suggested going in if he does it again after this feeding.

They also told me to have his Dr. paged, which i didnt know about. The on-call doc called us back and said the same thing as the RN. She also mentioned pyloric stenosis....

kary4 May 10th, 2013 10:14 PM

What color was it?

Skimboardin Mama May 10th, 2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kary4 (Post 27356221)
What color was it?

white and curdy

Mrsbowbin May 11th, 2013 02:26 AM

Hey, just wondering how your little man did through the night?

kary4 May 11th, 2013 05:16 AM

White and curdy sounds ok. I would worry if it were green or some other weird color. My son did some projectile vomiting when he was an infant as well. Not all the time, but occasionally. Most other times was a ton of spit up. He had bad reflux. We tried Zantac first, and then moved to Prevacid. I would definitely take him in to the pedi to discuss, but probably not the ER. Does he show other signs of reflux? Ie. arching, fussy after feeding, trouble settling, feeding constantly? These are all things to look for.

kary4 May 11th, 2013 11:52 AM

Nancy, any updates?

Skimboardin Mama May 11th, 2013 01:27 PM

Hi ladies! Koa nursed from 9pm until 1:30 AM non stop. I burped him frequently and he didn't vomit anymore. He then woke every 2-3 hours to nurse again.

He has shown no other signs of discomfort or illness since he was born but does spit up a tiny bit on his lips after many feedings. He is so relaxed all the time and an easygoing baby. Maybe it was just a fluke?

kary4 May 11th, 2013 01:29 PM

It could be...keep your eye on it. If it's constant, then I'd start to worry.