JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   May 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1872-may-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Reflux? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1872-may-2013-playroom/2659005-reflux.html)

EverydayJoy June 16th, 2013 04:45 PM

Reflux?

I'm starting to wonder if maybe Kody has reflux or something. Ethan had it really bad, so it was easy to tell there was something wrong with him. He would spit up a zillion times a day and cry after he spit up. So it was pretty cut and dried. Even so, it took several months and lots of doctor visits for anyone to really listen to us that there was something wrong.

Kody isn't quite as high-maintenance and Ethan was, but he is still proving to be more of a challenge than I was hoping for. I thought maybe I was going to get lucky with Kody since Ethan was so awful for the first year. I thought hey, they say kids are opposites a lot of times...but Kody seems to be fussy just like his brother, I'm afraid. Sleeps about the same as he did, too. I'm starting to think I just make fussy kids! Or maybe there's something wrong with my milk.

Kody is just kind of generally unhappy all the time. He has moments where he's almost quiet for a little while, but mostly he just either fusses or cries. And lately he doesn't seem to want to eat. I mean he is still eating, but he cries about latching on, pops off after let down hits, then cries about getting back on. He is hit and miss with the bottle, too. Sometimes he'll take it great and other times he will fuss about it and spit it out multiple times. I feel like there must be something wrong--or rather I wish there was something wrong so I could fix it and get a happy baby. But that could just be me having wishful thinking.

I know that right now in his age range babies tend to be fussy, but from what I've read, that's mostly an evening thing, where they are extra fussy for a block of time and then they are better the other times. Kody is pretty much unhappy all the time. Sometimes it's worse in the evening, sometimes it's bad first thing in the morning. I just can't figure him out.

kary4 June 16th, 2013 07:02 PM

Re: Reflux?

Joy, it does sound like it could be reflux. Have you talked to the pedi? I'd start him on the meds to see if it helps. Maybe score some free samples of hypoallergenic formula, too. It may help clear his tummy and then you can reintroduce breast milk.

EverydayJoy June 16th, 2013 07:12 PM

Kary, I haven't talked to his doc yet, because I figured it would be the whole "well babies cry, he looks healthy to me" routine. Plus I tend to overreact sometimes with medical stuff (at least, my husband thinks I do). I guess I wanted to get a feel of whether this was normal for this stage of the game or not, since my first child was definitely NOT normal, I have no idea what to expect.

ashj_1218 June 16th, 2013 07:20 PM

There are multiple kinds of reflux. Some are more obvious than others.

Honestly, I missed Liam's reflux entirely, my doc is the one who caught it. He was a miserable baby and was very slow to gain weight. But he never spit up much. However, he apparently had other classic signs (that I had no idea to look for) like back arching, constant nursing, gulping in his sleep/quiet times, frequent coughing and hiccups. But he literally never spit up.

Kieran, I was on the look-out for it. And he did have *mild* reflux. Truly, I think he was a high matenience baby with a touch of reflux, we prolly could have handled it without meds. But I, too, just wanted a happy baby and thought it would solve the problem. He grew perfectly fine, spit up only occasionally, but was fussy about nursing and definitely wasn't great at sleeping or entertaining himself. Which sounds a bit like Kody...however, he might have a more severe case. Just looking back, the meds didn't change much.

And now, with Jo, I get asked all the time if she has reflux. She pukes constantly. Literally it seems like her entire meals come up after every feeding. And in between feedings as well. The doc is "keeping an eye on it," meaning making sure she is growing properly (and she seems to be). But she is happy, eats normally and behaves normally after eating (no apparent discomfort). But it does befuddle people how she "can't have reflux." Lol.

I think I would take him to the pedi. And certainly mention that Ethan had it. It is a genetic thing, much more likely among siblings. See if maybe they will even do a trial of medication. It's sad you have to press so hard to get the kids issues attended to. It does sound like Kody is having some discomfort associated with feeding, which is a major sign of reflux. It's worth addressing, for your own sanity!

Mrsbowbin June 16th, 2013 08:52 PM

Joy with Brock I noticed that he suddenly started to cry when I burped him and then I started to hear noises of something coming up followed by some hard crying, the mess are helping a little but it's only been a week.

EverydayJoy June 16th, 2013 09:40 PM

Thanks for the input.
Ashlee, that kind of worries me that you said the meds didn't help Kieran much. I'm worried I just have another high-maintenance kid. Ethan, he wouldn't have been high-maintenance, I don't think, if I hadn't have been so gung-ho about EBF that I was unwilling to think it was my milk that was the problem. This time, I'm willing to do whatever works best, be it formula or what have you.
Mrs. B, I hope your meds help Brock. If you're doing Zantac, and they don't seem to be helping, just for the record, Zantac didn't help Ethan, either, or at least it helped very little. Prevacid was what really made the difference (that, and weaning him--my medication was bothering him).

It's hard to tell with Kody, but he does urp up in his throat a lot, and swallows it back down. He rarely actually spits up. He gets the hiccups a lot though. He cries and arches his back at feeding time, just laying him down on my lap and taking the boob out, he will start to cry when he was just fine before (although hungry). He cries harder the more I try to put the nipple in his mouth. Many times I'll have to bounce him up and down on my lap while I'm trying to get him to latch on, in order for him to take it. But then he will surprise me and sometimes feed just fine and so peacefully I'll think I must be imagining things. If he was just hard-and-fast one way, as far as the fussiness, I think it would be easier to say for sure I think he has reflux, but I just don't know.
Today he was cranky/fussy all day and not sleeping well, then after I gave him a dose of Colic Calm he has been sleeping for an hour and a half. Makes me think it must have been something with his tummy or digestive system. :shrugs:

kary4 June 17th, 2013 06:17 AM

All I know is that it is so hard to see your baby in pain from feedings. My first had silent reflux. It just got to a point where I didn't want him to be in pain so we medicated. Try the hypoallergenic formula for a few days and see how it goes. If that works well, maybe you don't need meds. Try Alimentum.

Kenzie June 17th, 2013 07:04 AM

Joy, that sounds an awful lot like CJ. He is on Axid and it seems to be helping some.

rheaimedved June 17th, 2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EverydayJoy (Post 27452598)
He gets the hiccups a lot though. He cries and arches his back at feeding time, just laying him down on my lap and taking the boob out, he will start to cry when he was just fine before (although hungry). He cries harder the more I try to put the nipple in his mouth. Many times I'll have to bounce him up and down on my lap while I'm trying to get him to latch on, in order for him to take it. But then he will surprise me and sometimes feed just fine and so peacefully I'll think I must be imagining things.

yessss this is exactly what misha does-- it's infuriating! this morning he ate sooo peacefully for 30 minutes, like he does it all the time! why can't you always eat like that, baby?!

i went off dairy to see if it helps anything (because it was a massive part of my diet). it's hard to tell if there's any change yet, but generally you're supposed to give it about a month (it's been 10 days).

ashj_1218 June 17th, 2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EverydayJoy (Post 27452598)
Thanks for the input.
Ashlee, that kind of worries me that you said the meds didn't help Kieran much. I'm worried I just have another high-maintenance kid. Ethan, he wouldn't have been high-maintenance, I don't think, if I hadn't have been so gung-ho about EBF that I was unwilling to think it was my milk that was the problem. This time, I'm willing to do whatever works best, be it formula or what have you.

It's hard to tell with Kody, but he does urp up in his throat a lot, and swallows it back down. He rarely actually spits up. He gets the hiccups a lot though. He cries and arches his back at feeding time, just laying him down on my lap and taking the boob out, he will start to cry when he was just fine before (although hungry). He cries harder the more I try to put the nipple in his mouth. Many times I'll have to bounce him up and down on my lap while I'm trying to get him to latch on, in order for him to take it. But then he will surprise me and sometimes feed just fine and so peacefully I'll think I must be imagining things. If he was just hard-and-fast one way, as far as the fussiness, I think it would be easier to say for sure I think he has reflux, but I just don't know.
Today he was cranky/fussy all day and not sleeping well, then after I gave him a dose of Colic Calm he has been sleeping for an hour and a half. Makes me think it must have been something with his tummy or digestive system. :shrugs:

That sounds like silent reflux. I second Axid...it worked wonders for Liam. Just because my second was high matenience, doesn't mean yours is!! He might legitimately have an issue. I would absolutely trial some medication. If it doesn't work, you know he is just needy (and can stock the house with alcohol! Lol. I am kidding!!). But it could make your life much, much easier. Also, you can trial belly-sleeping during the day for a couple days. It was also a sign of reflux. My doc told me reflux babies often hate to be on their back, and some even hate to be slightly reclined. But if he sleeps well on your chest and when you put him in his belly (supervised! Please don't think I am advocating it in any way...but it is a diagnostic tool), chances are his discomfort is from acid washing into his throat. Liam was a fine belly sleeper, but his back was just plain not going to happen.

LabLover13 June 17th, 2013 10:55 AM

Now I'm wondering if Claire has reflux. She's been spitting up a ton lately, and she gets the hiccups after pretty much every feeding. She coughs a lot while she's feeding, too...although I was chalking that up to the nipple being too fast (even though it's a newborn nipple with supposedly the slowest flow). She urps a lot in her sleep...my sister even mentioned it yesterday while she was holding her.

She's been pretty inconsolable lately, especially at night. Last night she was awake and crying from 2 to 5 am. I am a freakin' zombie right now.

I'll give it a few more days and if she continues to have these issues I'll make an appointment for her. I just want her to be happy/comfortable, but that doesn't appear to be in the cards right now.

EverydayJoy June 17th, 2013 02:04 PM

Sheesh. Sounds like a lot of our babies have the same kind of issues. I went to the doc today and got some Zantac for Kody. Let's hope it works. I know it sure worked for my heartburn during pregnancy, it was like magic. So fingers crossed it works like that for him too. If not, the doc said she'll try Prevacid.
Ashlee, Kody does seem to sleep better on his tummy than his back. He doesn't like to be on his back at an incline, which would puzzle me if it were reflux, but since you said that can also be something they don't like, I'll take your word for it. But yeah he pretty much sleeps great on my chest. I use that position for when I'm really desperate for sleep...I prop myself up on a couple pillows and sleep him on my chest.

jcperez June 17th, 2013 02:22 PM

I hope he feels better on the medicine. I wish I had some advice on reflux but I don't really know anything about it. I think Remy is just fussy and wants to be held all the time. I did have a problem when I was starting to supplement a little with formula. He spit out every formula I tried to give him. So far, it seems when I do try and give formula, the best one is Gerber Good Start Soothe. He spits up less and is less gassy from it. He doesn't really like it though

kurly June 17th, 2013 07:15 PM

We have bad reflux over here. Been on Zantac for the last 4 weeks. Doctors appointment is on Friday and I might ask to try the Prevacid. Reflux sucks :(

My little one has been sleeping on his tummy since 2ish weeks. And I make no apologies for it! :)