JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   May 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1872-may-2013-playroom/)
-   -   CDing mamas (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1872-may-2013-playroom/2660505-cding-mamas.html)

rheaimedved June 21st, 2013 08:09 PM

CDing mamas

I've been using the cloth diapers from about week 3 (6 weeks now). Basically he always wakes up at about 4 am (about 2.5 hours of sleeping) and we change him and try to feed him, but he isn't very hungry, he's eat for about 5 minutes then fall back asleep.

So basically my hypothesis is that he's waking up because he's wet (this kid pees A LOT) and he might sleep longer at night if I just used disposables and he "felt" dry. Does anyone have any experience with this?

The one reason this might not be the case is that he doesn't really settle down again after that for a long time, but I am optimistic!!!

MichelleLynn June 21st, 2013 08:59 PM

Re: CDing mamas

I use disposable diapers and my son still wakes when he is wet or dirty .

ashj_1218 June 21st, 2013 10:07 PM

It's possible, but unlikely if you haven't noticed issues with him feeling wet during the day. Like fussiness.

What material is against his skin? You can check if it is the problem by putting a stay-dry layer in between the bum and diaper fabric. Just go to the craft store and buy a small amount of micro fleece. Cut a square and pop it in the diaper. Voile...instant stat-dry :) It will at least answer that question.

kary4 June 21st, 2013 10:36 PM

Rhea - does he wake up full on crying at 4 am? What would happen if you just let him be (or is that not possible bc he is crying?). Also, if you want him to stay awake to eat more, maybe you need to undress him a little so he isn't so cozy?

rheaimedved June 21st, 2013 11:12 PM

Ashlee-- he does get pretty fussy when he's wet (soaked and needing to be changed, not just a little bit) during the day.

Kary-- He rarely full on cries, mostly it's lots of grunting and other noises that increase in severity. We try to ignore it but it's basically impossible to get to sleep when that's happening so we'll just put him on my husband's chest.

I'm going to give it a shot tonight and see how it goes. But he definitely has a lot of stomach discomfort so I think that's probably most of it. I bought some BioGaia tonight having read really promising things about it.

kary4 June 21st, 2013 11:25 PM

Lexi has a period of grunting too...it's a very restless sleep. I just ignore it and it usually goes away within an hour. Sometimes she poops during these episodes. Or how about just picking him up an burping him, rather than attempting to feed?

rheaimedved June 22nd, 2013 12:02 AM

you know, maybe i need to burp him after he eats for those 5 minutes. he usually just falls asleep and we put him back in the crib. i'm gonna give that a try tonight!

EverydayJoy June 22nd, 2013 08:13 AM

Just throwing in my 2 cents...I have Kody in disposables and I still need to change him 2 or 3 times a night. He pees a lot too and sometimes "floods" the diaper and pees right through it. One night I had to change his clothes 3 times because he peed through. So disposable might not be much different than cloth for you.

misty3281 June 22nd, 2013 08:55 AM

I have to change Avery 2-3 times a night too with disposables. She'll be dry when she starts nursing and by the time she's done she's saturated the diaper. Apparently the warm milk makes her go. lol

kary4 June 22nd, 2013 12:40 PM

I change Lexi at every feeding, usually in the middle (before switching breasts) and sometimes right afterwards if she wets again.

Rhea - did burping help?

rheaimedved June 22nd, 2013 01:14 PM

Well, there goes that theory hahaha. He was up around 4, like always.

And no, didn't help. Every night I get excited, thinking THIS will be the night he sleeps. And it never happens.

kary4 June 22nd, 2013 02:05 PM

Darn! Oh well. Lexi always wakes at 1:00 or 1:30 am and anywhere from 4-5 am to eat. I can't wait for the time when she drops one of those feedings!