JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   May 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1872-may-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Breastfeeding in public (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1872-may-2013-playroom/2661339-breastfeeding-public.html)

SunnyBunnyMama June 25th, 2013 10:31 AM

Breastfeeding in public

Yay or nay?

Whodunnit? How did/ do you feel about it? Where people staring? He did you manage to hide the milk machines?

I did it twice but luckily no one was around. I was too nervous bc I was not prepared and my boobs are too big to hide/ cover. But other than that I did not care much... Weird bc I am very self conscious and I don't show skin (I'm Muslim so you can figure how much skin I show-- don't judge lol ;))

markswife June 25th, 2013 10:50 AM

Re: Breastfeeding in public

I was really nervous about it with DD1 until I started going to her day care every day and nursing her at lunch. I got really good at keeping the twins covered. I've lost my touch some but I'm getting better. Caroline has nursed in the car several times and at several relatives' homes.

She and I both hate the nursing cover because it's so hot. I usually get my breast out but leave it covered by my shirt. Once she has latched on, I either use my shirt or a burp cloth to cover my skin. The baby pretty much covers up the rest.

So that clearly makes me a YAY. I certainly don't walk around with the twins on display but i don't understand the people that look down on mothers feeding their babies. Isn't that what breasts were made for in the first place?

Liztastic June 25th, 2013 10:57 AM

I do it all the time, sometime I cover, other times I don't - kinda depends on what I wore that day. With 46 months of nursing under my belt as of now, I'm kind of a pro ;)

jcperez June 25th, 2013 11:34 AM

I don't feel comfortable doing it in public out in the open. My breasts I feel are just too big and there is no discreet way of doing it. Plus, baby doesn't always latch on right away. The covers are useless to me. Its too hot and baby doesn't like them either. When I am at family's house, depending who is around I will do it there in the open. If there are too many people I will excuse myself and ask to use another more private room. If Im out at the mall or stores, I will use the changing rooms. Its just how it is. My boobs aren't exactly perky either, so it requires me to use one hand to hold one of the girls and the other the baby, plus trying to get into a comfortable position and getting baby to latch and stay latched plus trying to wake him up more than half the time while he nurses still. Its a lot of work. I would rather do all that in privacy.

jl046100 June 25th, 2013 11:36 AM

I wish I could do it in public I got all stressed and Joshua ends up screaming so I just express and take a bottle I tried it a few wks ago and couldn't really cover myself up and milk was everywhere so I gave up x

rheaimedved June 25th, 2013 11:57 AM

i've nursed in the car a bunch of times and have used a light blanket to cover other times in public. if i'm alone i don't bother to cover but otherwise i do. but i certainly don't think it's a problem if someone wants to whip out a boob and feed their child while surrounded by people.

ashj_1218 June 25th, 2013 12:36 PM

I nurse in public all the time. Doesn't faze me at all. But never really did. I spent about 3 years of my life in the hospital, where they watch you poop and shave your pits...so nothing is off limits for me anymore :rollseyes:

BUT great way to nurse with big boobs and nothing showing: Wear a somewhat normal bra, nursing or otherwise (doesn't work as well with a sports bra). And a microfiber tank top underneath whatever shirt you happen to be wearing (I often layer two tank tops on top of one another, since its hot outside). To nurse, pull top tank top/shirt up, pull bottom tank top and bra cup down. With baby laid across your legs, after you pull the top tank top up, lean over baby to pull the others down and latch on while leaned over a bit. Sit up and rest your hand over any skin that is exposed that you might not want (or re-adjust tank tops to cover). Baby's head will cover anything else. When they are done, shove booby back in, adjust before pulling top tank top back down. (Hardest part for me: remembering to pull it back down! Lol)

I often nurse this way for others comfort. I don't want to be that freak show with a boob whipped out, regardless of the fact that it doesn't bother me at all. And it's a piece of cake now that I have been doing it for so long (more than 3.5 years now! Wow).

I wouldn't ever get anything done if I didn't nurse in public! Lol.

Memi June 25th, 2013 12:46 PM

I do it all the time but still find it awkward. I use a nursing cover or blanket to cover up but trying to see to get him latched on is always very awkward for me. Once hes eating its no problem but latching him and sometimes relatching is awkward for me. Also getting my bra and such resituated afterwards is a little awkward. Like Ashlee suggested I like to wear a nursing tank under another top-pull the top up and nursing tank down and its minimum skin showing. But I have started to bring some of my BM stash with me to bottle feed if were going somewhere I just dont want to deal with it.

kary4 June 25th, 2013 01:08 PM

It's a nay for me. I just don't feel comfortable. The cover is too hot, sometimes I need two hands to get her latched, and I'm just too nervous and worried about people seeing. Plus she's fussy after feedings and needs a burp. Then sometimes it's hard to relatch her. If I'm out at the mall, I'll go into a dressing room. If we're out doing an activity, I head for the car. Or I just go home if it's not too far.

misty3281 June 25th, 2013 01:23 PM

I do it all the time with my nursing cover. I'll go to the bathroom or fitting room, whichever is closer, just to get her latched, but then I walk around while she eats. If it's really hot then I'll go to the car to nurse after I turn the air on full blast to cool her off. At first it was awkward, especially how timy she was, but since she's grown and ive done it more it doesnt bother me at all. I went to Burlington Coat Factory a few weeks back and they actually have a nursing room set up with a changing table, sink, and rocking chair. That was really nice.

Counting our Blessings June 25th, 2013 01:25 PM

I do all the time, we would be homebound otherwise. I don't think to much of it. I think it's great for other people to see woman feeding in public. As long as I'm covered, it doesn't bother me. Sometimes she's fussy and we just work it out :smile:

kary4 June 25th, 2013 01:36 PM

I think when her head gets more stable I will be more confident.

Skimboardin Mama June 25th, 2013 02:08 PM

I do it all the time but always cover. My friend makes the most beautiful nursing covers and uses fabrics with different thickness depending on the weather. Mine was made for summer.

People stare all the time... and I also nurse while walking or doing errands because I gotta get stuff done!

misty3281 June 25th, 2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skimboardin Mama (Post 27476348)
I do it all the time but always cover. My friend makes the most beautiful nursing covers and uses fabrics with different thickness depending on the weather. Mine was made for summer.

People stare all the time... and I also nurse while walking or doing errands because I gotta get stuff done!

I think it's crazy people stare. I've never noticed anyone giving me a second look, if they did I was oblivious to it. The only comment I've ever gotten was an old lady telling me not to hide in the bathroom to nurse one day when I had gone in there to get her latched one day because she was being fussy.

mrsjl June 25th, 2013 02:14 PM

I feed my baby whenever he wants, no matter where I am.

I don't use a nursing cover but I am very discreet. I cover all skin possible and the baby's head hides the rest. I find a nursing cover to be MORE obvious than not using one. most of the time when I am sitting down feeding him people just think I am holding him until they get close enough to look at him and then realize.

Skimboardin Mama June 25th, 2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misty3281 (Post 27476367)
I think it's crazy people stare. I've never noticed anyone giving me a second look, if they did I was oblivious to it. The only comment I've ever gotten was an old lady telling me not to hide in the bathroom to nurse one day when I had gone in there to get her latched one day because she was being fussy.

it makes DH more upset than anything. I never see people doing it in my town and even with my family it was totally new with them.

Shufu_in_Shunan June 25th, 2013 03:47 PM

I don't have any problem with other people nursing in public, but I would personally feel uncomfortable with it, especially here. I am stared at here no matter what I'm doing every time I step outside and so I know I would get even more stares if I breastfed in public. The staring alone makes me uncomfortable enough, as it is.

I have been thinking about what I'm going to do when I decide to visit my family back home (probably some time this fall)...if I get a direct flight, it's still at least a 10 hour flight, so I'll definitely have to breastfeed in public then. When I imagine that situation, it just seems so difficult and awkward to do on a plane, but I know many people must have managed to do it somehow.

Erin80 June 25th, 2013 04:52 PM

This is one reason I went to pumping, besides the thrush...haha...which was the main reason. Nursing in public freaks me out!....not when anyone else does it, I always think "good for them!", but I'm too shy.

kary4 June 25th, 2013 06:13 PM

Hey Kim, if you get a window seat and your hubby sits next to you, nobody will even notice! Get a nursing cover to use, too. You should be ok on the plane!

SunnyBunnyMama June 25th, 2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shufu_in_Shunan (Post 27476562)
I don't have any problem with other people nursing in public, but I would personally feel uncomfortable with it, especially here. I am stared at here no matter what I'm doing every time I step outside and so I know I would get even more stares if I breastfed in public. The staring alone makes me uncomfortable enough, as it is. .

YES!! Same here, I do tend to attract attention anyways ( I wear a head cover) so honestly I don't think I'd do it if there are people around. I am trying to stop pumping and I don't plan on using a bottle.... Terrible, terrible experience and memories from dd