JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   May 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1872-may-2013-playroom/)
-   -   horrible 2 month check up! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1872-may-2013-playroom/2662741-horrible-2-month-check-up.html)

jcperez July 1st, 2013 10:59 AM

horrible 2 month check up!

it was just horrible. I feel like a terrible mom. 3 shots and 1 oral rota virus vaccine? my pediatrician is really cool though. I feel like im talking to a friend and she reassured that I was doing the right thing. she said she went to a seminar yesterday about vaccines and said its so much worse if he were to catch one of those nasty diseases. she said its only going to get worse and they are planning on giving more vaccines in the future to kids. it just seems insane. she told when she was done giving him the shots that he really had like 8 different vaccines today because they mix 2 or 3 of them together. that seems insane! poor baby was all smiles before then screaming with each shot. the oral vaccine was bad too, he hated it! she said to expect him to get a fever....great. how did all your babies do with 2 month shots if you got them? :frown: I'm debating giving him Tylenol now, but I guess I should before he gets a fever.

he only gained 2 lbs. making him 10 lbs. 8 oz. she said 2 lbs is good to gain in 1 month. he really isn't a great eater. whether I nurse him or give him a bottle, he takes 2 ounces, takes a break for 20 or 30 minutes then will drink maybe another ounce.

misty3281 July 1st, 2013 11:25 AM

Re: horrible 2 month check up!

Avery got her shots last week and did about the same. She got the oral stuff first and did fine with that. She cried through the shots obviously but as soon as they finished I let her comfort nurse and she quieted right down. I did give her Tylenol when we got home and again before bed. The next day she was perfectly fine. The good thing about doing them now is 5 minutes after it's done they don't remember it. I waited and took her bandaids off with her bath so it could loosen them up. She was a little clingy and fussy that day but never got a fever or anything. Don't feel bad for doing what's right for your baby. You're a good mom, it's just hard to watch our babies being hurt.

jcperez July 1st, 2013 11:37 AM

Thanks Misty :) She also had to put more of that silver nitrate on his belly button again. It just doesn't want to heal?

kurly July 1st, 2013 11:41 AM

My little guy had his. He had a slight fever for the rest of the day and The morning of the next day. We gave Tylenol every 5 hours at the recommendation of the pedi. He never showed signs of pain at the shot sight though- so I don't think it was too bad.

It was sad to see him cry when they did them though!

EverydayJoy July 1st, 2013 12:00 PM

It's always sad when you have to do things for a baby's health that cause temporary pain. I can relate! I'm sorry. But it's over now, and just snuggle that baby and give him lots of loves!

kary4 July 1st, 2013 12:01 PM

I'm dreading our visit - it's this Wednesday.

mommaerin July 1st, 2013 02:45 PM

I am totally dreading ours. Even more so because it's on my birthday :( That was the only day they had available. Oh I hate to hear him cry in pain, I just know I will cry right along with him.

LabLover13 July 1st, 2013 03:32 PM

When Claire was 2 weeks old, she had to have blood drawn--from her VEIN--because one of the genetic tests they screened for at the hospital came up positive (luckily, it ended up being a false positive and everything is ok). My husband sat with her while the phlebotomist had to poke her THREE TIMES (the first time, she missed the vein...then she went in the other arm, but only got half the amount she needed, so she had to go back to the first arm again). I just sat in the hallway and sobbed, because she was screaming her head off and it was the most horrid thing in the entire world.

So I totally feel your pain. I'm really not looking forward to the 2-month appointment.

jcperez July 1st, 2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LabLover13 (Post 27490549)
When Claire was 2 weeks old, she had to have blood drawn--from her VEIN--because one of the genetic tests they screened for at the hospital came up positive (luckily, it ended up being a false positive and everything is ok). My husband sat with her while the phlebotomist had to poke her THREE TIMES (the first time, she missed the vein...then she went in the other arm, but only got half the amount she needed, so she had to go back to the first arm again). I just sat in the hallway and sobbed, because she was screaming her head off and it was the most horrid thing in the entire world.

So I totally feel your pain. I'm really not looking forward to the 2-month appointment.

ohhhh....I know that pain as well. when remy was admitted to the hospital at just 4 days old the dr. took blood from a vein in his little hand. it took a good full 5 minutes for her to get the amount she needed. she said baby blood is extremely thick and flows slow. I sobbed along with him the whole 5 excruciating minutes and wanted to deck the dr.

realmom July 2nd, 2013 03:53 AM

I have to go tomorrow and am absolutely dreading it. Luckily DH has taken off work to come with me because I know I am going to sob as much as LO!

EverydayJoy July 2nd, 2013 07:41 AM

I have to get Kody's tongue-tie clipped today and I'm dreading it! Hope it's not too bad.

markswife July 2nd, 2013 10:21 AM

the crying is the hardest part. I had no idea that DD1 was going to get shots so it was a huge shock to me and just terrible. It was hard this time but at least I knew what was coming. I gave Caroline tylenol before the shots and we had no issues. With Natalie, she did fine until about 7 PM that night when she would not stop crying. DH had to go get Tylenol while I sat at home with a screaming baby. She stopped crying immediately after taking the Tylenol so I planned ahead for Caroline. I'm glad she doesn't have to go back for two more months.