JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   May 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1872-may-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Bumbo question (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1872-may-2013-playroom/2667268-bumbo-question.html)

Mrsbowbin July 22nd, 2013 03:00 PM

Bumbo question

So my dude is just about twelve weeks now and has great neck control. We are wondering when's the right time to start in the Bumbo? Is it even worth it? Should we take it back etc? Any help would be great.

kurly July 22nd, 2013 03:59 PM

Re: Bumbo question

Yes- the bumbo is AMAZING!! Don't return it, I promise you will get your use out of it. My guy has good neck control as well, so I put him in the bumbo for about 3 minutes at a time, twice a day. We will work up from there.

Rhonda66 July 22nd, 2013 08:48 PM

I love the Bumbo too! I haven't put Sophia in it yet because of the torticollis, but will as soon as we can.

kary4 July 22nd, 2013 10:06 PM

My son had torticollis and ended up having low muscle tone as well. He was late with all his milestones and was very shaky sitting for a long time. I didn't feel comfortable getting him in the Bumbo until 8 or 9 months. Prior to that, it was all about tummy time. Kids with low tone or torticollis or any kind of developmental delay are not recommended to use things like jumpers, exersaucers, Bumbos, etc for extended periods of time bc it is thought that these take away time from actually working on their core muscles, which are best developed on tummy time. A good pediatric physical therapist will tell you that. We did physical therapy for over 3 years.

EverydayJoy July 22nd, 2013 11:02 PM

You all have probably seen articles on the Bumbos but I just wanted to mention, be careful having it up on an elevated surface because there have been babies who have tipped theirs over or fallen out and gotten hurt. I'd recommend having it on the floor at all times.

misty3281 July 23rd, 2013 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kary4 (Post 27536039)
My son had torticollis and ended up having low muscle tone as well. He was late with all his milestones and was very shaky sitting for a long time. I didn't feel comfortable getting him in the Bumbo until 8 or 9 months. Prior to that, it was all about tummy time. Kids with low tone or torticollis or any kind of developmental delay are not recommended to use things like jumpers, exersaucers, Bumbos, etc for extended periods of time bc it is thought that these take away time from actually working on their core muscles, which are best developed on tummy time. A good pediatric physical therapist will tell you that. We did physical therapy for over 3 years.

Tummy time is all but nonexistent here. Now that she figured out how to roll, as soon as I put her on her tummy she flips herself over. Every once in a while she'll stay on it for a few minutes, but never too long.

And I don't have a Bumbo because I was worried about her falling and hurting herself but I guess if she's on the floor and I'm right next to her when she uses it then the chance of that is low. Might need to go invest in one.

Skimboardin Mama July 27th, 2013 06:54 AM

Does the bumbo also act as a booster seat as well? We had the bumbo with DD but are excited we have a bebepod with DS. I think it straps to a chair to act as a booster (not sure it will be high enough later) and comes with toys.

rheaimedved July 27th, 2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skimboardin Mama (Post 27545248)
Does the bumbo also act as a booster seat as well? We had the bumbo with DD but are excited we have a bebepod with DS. I think it straps to a chair to act as a booster (not sure it will be high enough later) and comes with toys.

No, they make a separate booster seat. The bumbo is only intended for use on the ground.

Misty, you might consider how big she is, percentile-wise. I've read some things that say bumbos are really only good until 22 lbs, and thigh size can also affect whether or not a baby fits. Plus, once a baby can sit on their own, it loses value pretty fast. For a number of reasons I am not even considering getting one (despite their popularity), but if you do, I'd probably recommend looking around for a used one. I'd recommend that to anyone, for most baby products, but especially ones that are only good for a short period of time.

SunnyBunnyMama July 27th, 2013 05:33 PM

I didn't use one with dd and don't plan on using one now. I let my kids sit on their own when they're ready, no need to rush it and cause damage. I remember I used to surround my dd with pillows and blankets when she was almost four months, of course I was always on her side. She started sitting without support at five months.

I say let them just be babies now... It's much easier than what is to come.

kurly July 27th, 2013 06:08 PM

A big thing we use them for is feedings. Even if they can sit unassisted, we plop them in there right in front of us. Eliminates the need for a high chair.

I guess like all baby gear- some things work for your family and some don't. I agree with Rhea- see if you can find a used one if you aren't sure if it will be beneficial. For me, I have seen how great they were for my nieces and nephews, and the bumbo was LITERALLY my first baby purchase.

kary4 July 27th, 2013 06:58 PM

I got a Bumbo as a hand me down, and I liked it. It came with the tray and it was just a cool place for my son to sit and play wth toys. And I didn't have to worry about him falling over. It was also great for travel. It did only last a couple of months, though, before he outgrew it.

jcperez July 28th, 2013 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rheaimedved (Post 27546046)
No, they make a separate booster seat. The bumbo is only intended for use on the ground.

Misty, you might consider how big she is, percentile-wise. I've read some things that say bumbos are really only good until 22 lbs, and thigh size can also affect whether or not a baby fits. Plus, once a baby can sit on their own, it loses value pretty fast. For a number of reasons I am not even considering getting one (despite their popularity), but if you do, I'd probably recommend looking around for a used one. I'd recommend that to anyone, for most baby products, but especially ones that are only good for a short period of time.

just bought one today for $5!!!!! on the local swap site in my town. no way im spending $45 on a seat he will outgrow in a few months...;)

MrsLisaT July 28th, 2013 05:54 AM

I see them all the time at yard sales for around 5 bucks. That's how I got mine. I don't feel comfortable using it yet. Anna's head still wobbles a bit.

misty3281 July 28th, 2013 06:06 AM

I LOVE resale shops for baby gear. If I see one I'll get it, if not no biggie. Children learned to sit all on their own for thousands of years.

Ryan and Alex's Mommy July 29th, 2013 11:14 PM

I loved the bumbo and started using it at 1 month with all my kids. My boys had EXCELLENT head control where as Sera is still a bit wobbly and doesn't hold her head up straight so I don't keep her in it for long. I think she's like that because I hold her all the time. She may be my last so i'm trying to enjoy every moment I can with her :)