JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   May 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1872-may-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Starting solids (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1872-may-2013-playroom/2667273-starting-solids.html)

kary4 July 22nd, 2013 03:38 PM

Starting solids

So what age will you be starting solids this time? The recommendation is anywhere from 4-6 months of age. With my first, we started cereals at 5 months, then moved to fruits/veggies at 6 months. Last time I was able to make all of my own baby food (organic) except for the cereals, which I store bought. I used the Beaba Babycook to make the food and it was super easy. Ill probably do the same this time around. I just ordered a new Beaba - the Pro version - which can make twice as much food.

What are your plans?

4 boys July 22nd, 2013 04:15 PM

Re: Starting solids

I will probably wait until 6 months. I started my other kids at 4-5 months but this time, I'm in no hurry and don't see the point of starting early, unless of course at some point before 6 months I think she needs it.

misty3281 July 22nd, 2013 04:28 PM

I plan on starting cereal at 4 months and I'll progress from there depending on how she does. Every time I think we're doing good with the bottle she goes back to refusing it and sitters are getting nervous about keeping her while I work so I think our EBF days are numbered. As soon as I can get her off the breast I'm going to have to.

ashj_1218 July 22nd, 2013 05:14 PM

We will wait to 6+ months. We won't do puréed at all, straight to bits of food. We did it with our older two too (although my first got some purées as well as food bits) and love it. Easy peasy.

Erin80 July 22nd, 2013 06:40 PM

6 months.

jcperez July 22nd, 2013 06:43 PM

Going to prob. start cereal at 4 months. I like making my own food as well. Going to look into that cookbook Kary. I just baked and mashed everything. I wont start fruits or veggies until 6 months. What does everyone introduce first? Fruits or veggies? With my first the dr. said fruits, so I did fruits. With the second dr. said veggies because once they acquire a taste for sweets they wont want the veggies, so I was kind of thinking starting off with veggies.

crunchywannabe July 22nd, 2013 07:21 PM

I don't plan on starting before 6 months, and if we go a little past that, I'd be ok with that too. I don't think there is a 'magic number' that suddenly makes baby ready for solids. I plan on going directly to baby led weaning, and am looking forward to not having to deal with purees.

I'm really enjoying our breastfeeding relationship and A hasn't been introduced to a bottle yet either. I just dread having to prep and serve and clean up anything right now... As well this all means that cloth diapering is going to go from a cinch to a lot more complicated very quickly!

rheaimedved July 22nd, 2013 08:45 PM

I used to think 6, but now I'm thinking more like 4 or 5, depending on whether he's developmentally ready, since I' like to try baby-led weaning. I'm gonna skip rice cereal altogether due to the arsenic concerns. Our pediatrician suggested that we could start early if we wanted, largely because of his gigantic size. He also cited some research from Sweden that showed a reduction in allergies if solids are introduced between 4-6, and that despite it being counter-intuitive, the data were solid. We'll see what happens!

Rhonda66 July 22nd, 2013 08:45 PM

As soon as the pedi says it's ok! Sophia gets Similac Advance exclusively now and that stuff is crazy expensive - she also seems like she wants to eat solids already, she was eyeing the ice cream DS was eating yesterday so I put a spoonful near her face and she was ready to go! She was not happy when I didn't let her have it either.

misty3281 July 22nd, 2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhonda66 (Post 27535948)
As soon as the pedi says it's ok! Sophia gets Similac Advance exclusively now and that stuff is crazy expensive - she also seems like she wants to eat solids already, she was eyeing the ice cream DS was eating yesterday so I put a spoonful near her face and she was ready to go! She was not happy when I didn't let her have it either.

I bet she wasn't! Avery sits at the table with either me or DH more often than not when we eat dinner and she is definitely checking out everything.

kary4 July 22nd, 2013 09:46 PM

Jessica,

The Beaba Babycook is actually a steamer/blender in one - it's not a cookbook. It's a convenient little appliance that doesn't take up too much space and is a snap to clean. It's so easy to steam food using it!

Do I sound like a commercial or what?!

EverydayJoy July 22nd, 2013 11:07 PM

I'm thinking 5-6 months here, just going to play it by ear! If WIC covers it I'll just do jarred baby foods. The "good mom" in me would love to do everything from scratch but my practical side knows I'm not going to have the time or energy to attempt that. I'll probably throw in some fresh purees but mostly jarred, unless I have to pay for it myself in which case it's all home made!

realmom July 23rd, 2013 03:14 AM

My paed suggested starting him at 4 months due to his size. He is already weighing enough to start solids but obviously we just need to wait until his digestive system can handle it. I am going back to work when he is about 5 months so would love to have him on a few solids by then and still express to give him a bit of breast milk.

misty3281 July 23rd, 2013 04:13 AM

Since we're on the subject, how do you make your own baby food? I want to do this but I haven't found anything helpful explaining how. Anyone have any good websites or books explaining the process?

kary4 July 23rd, 2013 05:54 AM

Misty,

This site was my Bible - its awesome:

Wholesome Homemade Baby Food Recipes | Make Fresh Baby Food, Healthy Homemade Baby Food, it's easy with new baby food recipes, solid food tips, baby nutrition & more!

You need a steamer and a blender. And something to store the baby food in for the freezer. I used 2 oz. baby cubes that I bought at Buy Buy Baby. I just bought the Beaba Babycook Pro. Last time I used the original Beaba Babycook. Here is the original:

Amazon.com: Beaba Babycook Baby Food Maker: Baby

4 boys July 24th, 2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashj_1218 (Post 27535541)
We will wait to 6+ months. We won't do puréed at all, straight to bits of food. We did it with our older two too (although my first got some purées as well as food bits) and love it. Easy peasy.

Ok, Ash, explain this to me. This sounds like something I might want to do. What foods do you start with? And do they have to be old enough to handle chunks? Because some of mine haven't been ready for that until 8+ months.

rheaimedved July 24th, 2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4 boys (Post 27539314)
Ok, Ash, explain this to me. This sounds like something I might want to do. What foods do you start with? And do they have to be old enough to handle chunks? Because some of mine haven't been ready for that until 8+ months.

this is one site that i found pretty helpful-- but hopefully others have some good ones, too
Baby Led Weaning | Is Baby Led Weaning the Best Way to Introduce Solid Foods?

Skimboardin Mama July 27th, 2013 07:15 AM

We're going to try to wait until at least 6 months but if we go later that's okay too. I think once we started giving food was when DD started getting rashes in her diaper. I remember we tried at 6 months and she'd just push it out so we just stopped.

I read some article that says giving solids too late can also cause diabetes? We didn't start pushing them more with DD until 8months... geesh they say everything has its effects these days

4 boys July 27th, 2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skimboardin Mama (Post 27545288)
I read some article that says giving solids too late can also cause diabetes? We didn't start pushing them more with DD until 8months... geesh they say everything has its effects these days

So true. In some ways it's like we can hardly do anything right, but at the same time I like to think then we can't really go wrong either. :D

Ryan and Alex's Mommy July 29th, 2013 11:19 PM

I'll wait till 6 months or after. I'll wait for her cue's. I'm not going to be in a rush like I was with my other 2. Food under 1 is just for fun ;)