JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   May 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1872-may-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Breastfeeding/Alcohol (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1872-may-2013-playroom/2667995-breastfeeding-alcohol.html)

LolaBadola July 25th, 2013 09:13 PM

Breastfeeding/Alcohol

So in case you didn't read my string of frantic posts a few weeks ago, Owen hates bottles and puts up a fight taking one, which really sucks, but I'm still clinging to the hope that when I go back to work, he'll eventually adjust. Anyway, tonight we went out for Mexican food and I had a margarita. When I got home, I tested my milk with those alcohol test strips and they were black, which means alcohol is present, which meant Owen had to be given a bottle. He flat out refuses to take one from me and struggles along with DH, so needless to say bedtime sucked.

Anyway, my question...obviously I won't be doing that again anytime soon, but if I just want to have a small glass of wine, do you think it's a big deal? What's the timing on that? I don't want to test every single time I have a glass since those testers are super expensive. Should I drink the glass right after a feeding? During? What do you other BF'ers do?

EverydayJoy July 25th, 2013 09:57 PM

Re: Breastfeeding/Alcohol

I believe it takes about 2 hours for the alcohol to get into your milk, and I would recommend drinking either right after a feeding--or during should be fine too! If it were me, I would probably pump and dump for an evening if I had a drink in the early evening and then start back up at bedtime with nursing. BUT--like you said, he's not taking a bottle. I guess you'll have to experiment to see what works for you!
I believe with the alcohol it's really not safe for them to get it from your breastmilk, because their livers are not developed enough to get the alcohol out of their system fast enough, and so they can get a pretty big hit of it. I'd try to avoid him getting any from your milk.
Maybe just use the testers until you get the hang of how long it takes?

PS Here's a link to info on it from La Leche League.
LLLI | FAQ on Alcohol

jl046100 July 25th, 2013 10:12 PM

It takes 2hrs to get a small glass of wine out of ur system so I Woolf feed him have ur wine then as long as its 2hrs later ur feeding him again u would be fine x

misty3281 July 25th, 2013 11:52 PM

Girl drink that whine while you're nursing! It takes about 30 minutes for the alcohol to enter your breast milk, and 2 hours to leave for a standard 4 oz of wine. So by the time baby is ready to nurse again it's gone and you can continue on. I've drank wine 3 or 4 times since BF'ing and haven't had a problem. The hardest part is only drinking one glass!

mommaerin July 26th, 2013 04:55 AM

Like others have said it takes roughly two hours to leave your system. I have done a lot of research on this because I drink a Guinness almost everyday, as suggested by my midwife, to help with milk production. (on a side note I know that theory in controversial but I have found that it really works there is a HUGE difference from when I do and when I do not drink it) The alcohol both enters and leaves your milk at the same rate as it does your bloodstream. There is no need to pump and dump if you just wait the two hours. Because it effects your milk the same as the bloodstream it also depends on your weight. The more you weigh the less time it will take to exit your system. A lot of people use the guideline that if you are sober enough to drive you are sober enough to nurse. Also, only about 2% of the alcohol you drink enters your milk. It's not like if you have a shot then your milk will be 80 proof. The danger is that their livers are so immature that even a small amount of alcohol is hard for them to process.

Here is a website that I found really helpful...

http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf...style/alcohol/

rheaimedved July 26th, 2013 05:44 AM

Erin-- I have a friend who's always telling me to drink Guinness, you know, for milk production haha :) My husband would have a conniption if I drank any amount of alcohol, though, so I'll either save it for when he isn't around or just wait until I'm done breastfeeding ;)

Counting our Blessings July 26th, 2013 06:46 AM

I don't drink alcohol, but I would just wait until baby is weaned to have it :smile:

jcperez July 26th, 2013 09:12 AM

I have been to a few parties and I miss my Margaritas! I have had a sip of wine here and there but not much more than a sip to get my fix. That's just me though. My husband would also have a fit if he saw me with a glass of wine or margarita. Im picturing drinking a bottle of Guinness while baby is latched on...lol, I don't think Im there yet. Waiting for baby to be weaned for my shots of vodka!

SunnyBunnyMama July 26th, 2013 01:24 PM

Don't rink alcohol.. I don't drink soda either so I should be given the best mom award bahahaha

Skimboardin Mama July 27th, 2013 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommaerin (Post 27542928)
The alcohol both enters and leaves your milk at the same rate as it does your bloodstream. There is no need to pump and dump if you just wait the two hours. Because it effects your milk the same as the bloodstream it also depends on your weight. The more you weigh the less time it will take to exit your system. A lot of people use the guideline that if you are sober enough to drive you are sober enough to nurse. Also, only about 2% of the alcohol you drink enters your milk. It's not like if you have a shot then your milk will be 80 proof. The danger is that their livers are so immature that even a small amount of alcohol is hard for them to process.

This is all exactly what I was told by a lactation consultant. If you don't over do it you don't have to pump and dump. I have a beer here or there but generally right after I nurse him and put him down for the night or a long nap so I won't have to nurse awhile.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunnyBunnyMama (Post 27544157)
Don't rink alcohol.. I don't drink soda either so I should be given the best mom award bahahaha

Well, even Jesus drank wine. WWJD! :lol:

SunnyBunnyMama July 27th, 2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skimboardin Mama (Post 27545300)
Well, even Jesus drank wine. WWJD! :lol:

Hahaha... Well, not Mohammad! ;)

markswife July 27th, 2013 12:53 PM

I have had one beer a couple of times and nursed after that without any issues. Any more than that makes me nervous even though it's probably fine. I'm ready for some tailgating this fall where I will be pumping and dumping for sure. It's really hard to pump while drunk.