JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   May 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1872-may-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Sunblock? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1872-may-2013-playroom/2680628-sunblock.html)

Skimboardin Mama September 22nd, 2013 01:54 PM

Sunblock?

I know sunblock isn't recommended until 6 months, but next week we are going to the Cowboys vs Chargers game in San Diego, CA. We are sitting on the sunny side and are taking Koa. I'm going to bring a light nursing cover to cover him as he sleeps and he'll be wearing his cowboys ball cap and jersey which covers quite a bit of his arms. It will be about 71 degrees so not too hot but the sun will be on us quite a bit.

Would you guys use sunblock? Can anyone recommend any super baby friendly/ non cancerous/harmful stuff in it baby lotion? He'll be just shy of 5 months.

Thanks!

crunchywannabe September 22nd, 2013 01:56 PM

Re: Sunblock?

We're waiting until 6 months to use sunblock, but I have purchased California Baby infant scent free yada yada yada sun block. I would agree that it's better to use it than to risk a burn.
I also have a stick of bagder infant sunblock as well, that would be better for on the face just because of the method of application!

Another brand I would use is Adorable Baby.

kurly September 22nd, 2013 02:21 PM

Our pedi okayed sun lotion when our guy was like a month old or something. Just as long as it was "for babies". I can't remember what the exact brand is, but it's nothing special. Something like 'water babies'. We have been using it all summer with no side effects.

Better sun lotion than sun burn!

And go CHARGERS! ;)

ashj_1218 September 22nd, 2013 04:43 PM

We have been using Alba Botanicals Kids Very Emollient Sunscreen spf 45 since Jo was 2 months. I asked the doc and she said with a good mild sunscreen, it's the better option than risking sunburn. It's a gentle one that's free of nasty stuff. I love how easy it is to rub in (less like crazy white sunscreen, more like lotion). With two older kids and lots of outdoors activities, it was essential for us to use something on her face and extremities. We use a hat and a light blanket, but sunscreen was a must. Her skin handled it fine. I'd just test it a day or two before and make sure his skin doesn't react to your choice.

EverydayJoy September 23rd, 2013 07:20 AM

I've read about sunscreens in the past and why they don't like to use them below 6 months. Hopefully this isn't too much information! Haha. But most regular sunscreens are designed to be absorbed into the skin, vs. just sitting on top of the skin as a physical barrier to the sun. With babies I think they worry about the chemicals from the sunscreen being absorbed into the skin, and therefore the bloodstream. So if you can, get a sunscreen that is intended to only sit on top of the skin-- one that uses zinc/titanium oxide to fight the sun's rays. Yes, it's not as pretty as the ones that absorb in--you get that classic "white" cream like in 70's movies where they have the white cream on their nose at the beach--but you will know your baby isn't getting any chemicals in their system.

Burt's Bee's makes a product, Baby Bee natural sun care, that is just zinc and titanium oxide, plus emollients.

Hope that helps---and I'm not trying to make the regular sunscreens sound like they're evil---haha I use them myself.

kary4 September 23rd, 2013 05:56 PM

I agree sunblock is better than a burn. I do try to wait until 6 months, though, but Koa is almost 5 months so I think you're ok. We use California Baby Sensitive - it's fragrance free and hypoallergenic. It's SPF 30. Never once been burned. You can find it at Target or order at diapers.com

NewlyMrs September 24th, 2013 05:52 AM

Great question! We are going to a Giants baseball game Sunday so I'll be going to Target to look into some baby sunscreen myself!

mrsjl September 24th, 2013 07:01 AM

yeah like joy said you can get some that sit on top of the skin, i got it for thomas when we were away when he was 3 months because i knew if he didn't wear anything he'd get burned. he was VERY white with it on but other than that he was fine.

the brand I used is Substance sun care for babies
http://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...63c8d7f033.jpg

it costs about a million dollars and thankfully my friend just lent me some, but it should last you a LONG time.

Memi September 24th, 2013 02:13 PM

I double layers SPF 60 on Roman when we went to the beach a few weeks ago and sat him under the shade the entire time. Our last day there he somehow got sunburnt. Im still completely stumped by it but thank God he had lots on or it could have been much worse. Their skin is super fragile so I say sunscreen is much better than a possible blister.
We have Neutrogena Baby and Water Babies.

LolaBadola September 24th, 2013 03:01 PM

Check out this website. It's amazing! They're a watchdog organization that rates sunblock and other products:
EWG's 2013 Guide to Sunscreens
I've always used Badger Balm, which is pretty amazing stuff, but you could always put a SPF outfit on him, too, if you didn't want to go the sunblock route. This website has awesome SPF clothing for kids. We went to Hawaii when Ava was 11 months old and spent at least 8 hours a day in the sun (we're surfers). She wore one of the bodysuits and matching hat and I only put the Badger sunblock on her hands, feet, and face. Never burned once. Didn't even tan!
Infant 6M-24M: Sun Protective Clothing - Coolibar

EverydayJoy September 24th, 2013 03:25 PM

That's a great idea about the clothing!

Skimboardin Mama September 24th, 2013 09:02 PM

Thanks everyone for all the ideas! Ido use that skin deep EWg website for our personal products. I am searching for products at 1 or 0. Where do you buy badger, subs.tance, alba, or adorable baby? I'm also going to look for the Burt's bees that sits on top of their skin.

We took Koa to the beach every weekend this summer but he's not too fair skin. We never had to use sun block because I kept him under an umbrella or covered with a super light nursing cover.

The SPF clothes is a great idea, but we are huge cowboys fans! This is DH's first cowboys game with his son so he wants him to wear his jersey. We do have a cowboys baseball cap though. His jersey covers the majority of his arms I'm taking spare clothes in case he is too hot.

Rant: I also hate the fans at the chargers stadium. They are sooo rude to visitors! Hopefully having the baby there will keep them from bugging us and just allow us to enjoy the game in peace!

@kurly :p

kary4 September 25th, 2013 06:07 AM

Nancy, my hubby is going to be so jealous that you guys get to go see a Cowboys game! Do you have season tickets? One of my goals is to get him a ticket to see a game at some point in the future - what a cool present!

LolaBadola September 25th, 2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skimboardin Mama (Post 27678476)
Thanks everyone for all the ideas! Ido use that skin deep EWg website for our personal products. I am searching for products at 1 or 0. Where do you buy badger, subs.tance, alba, or adorable baby? I'm also going to look for the Burt's bees that sits on top of their skin.

We took Koa to the beach every weekend this summer but he's not too fair skin. We never had to use sun block because I kept him under an umbrella or covered with a super light nursing cover.

The SPF clothes is a great idea, but we are huge cowboys fans! This is DH's first cowboys game with his son so he wants him to wear his jersey. We do have a cowboys baseball cap though. His jersey covers the majority of his arms I'm taking spare clothes in case he is too hot.

Rant: I also hate the fans at the chargers stadium. They are sooo rude to visitors! Hopefully having the baby there will keep them from bugging us and just allow us to enjoy the game in peace!

@kurly :p

You can get almost all of those brands at Whole Foods or on Amazon. They are pricey, but worth it.

Skimboardin Mama September 25th, 2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kary4 (Post 27678811)
Nancy, my hubby is going to be so jealous that you guys get to go see a Cowboys game! Do you have season tickets? One of my goals is to get him a ticket to see a game at some point in the future - what a cool present!

We don't have season tickets for the cowboys. We live in so cal so are catching a game as a late bday present for me. My mom had given me enough money to almost cover both our tickets :)

HopefullY we will get to see a game at least once. It's on our bucket lists.

Thanks gals!

rheaimedved September 29th, 2013 12:01 PM

Hahaha I think local fans are ALWAYS rude to out of town fans... ;) Maybe I'm just defensive because I'm from San Diego! (But I hate football and the Chargers are the most consistently disappointing team in the NFL.)

Since you live in CA, Sprouts also carries a lot of those brands. I bought Babytime! by Episencial Sunny Sunscreen. Haven't actually used it yet, but that's what I bought :)

kurly September 29th, 2013 03:03 PM

Well, Wyatt is the Charger fan. I am a Patriot, and the husband is a Seahawk. We are watching the game right now- lookin for you in the crowd! ;)