JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   May 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1872-may-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Sick :( (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1872-may-2013-playroom/2681056-sick.html)

NewlyMrs September 24th, 2013 05:49 AM

Sick :(

Grady and I have really bad colds. The last couple nights have been brutal. Poor guy has been up at least once an hour. We are so tired in this house! I think he got it from a mommy and me music class we took together Friday. No one was sick in the class but we were touching instruments that I'm sure had been touched recently by sick kids. I actually ended up signing up for a 12 week course but I think I'll get a refund. He's too young to be exposed to that many germs.

Anyone have some remedies for sick little ones?

Mrsbowbin September 24th, 2013 06:30 AM

Re: Sick :(

Brock is pretty sick also, last night I kept him in his bouncy chair and he slept the whole night. It allowed him to breath better and cough less. I'm finding the best thing to do is use saline spray and then bulb out his nose before bottles and bedtime.

kary4 September 24th, 2013 11:54 AM

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that. There's no medicine to give, unfortunately, but the saline spray and bulb suction may help. I don't have much experience with younger babies and colds. My oldest didn't get his first illness until almost 12 months of age. Here's a home remedy that worked for his cough: Vicks Baby Vapo rub on his feet with socks over them as he slept overnight! Google it. It sounds odd but it worked!

EverydayJoy September 24th, 2013 12:15 PM

Poor baby. We just had bad colds go through the household. Kody is still kinda snotty and coughing a little.

LolaBadola September 24th, 2013 03:21 PM

Bring him into the shower with you before bed and close the door. The steam will loosen things up. And yes, the saline/bulb combo. Definitely a humidifier. Vicks on the feet with socks and on the chest. And Vicks also makes these awesome plug-ins that emit vapors to help clear your sinuses. Sleep him upright in a swing or bouncer. Lots of fluids. Other than that, rest! Hope you feel better!

EverydayJoy September 24th, 2013 04:22 PM

I saw these at Babies R Us one time, but didn't need them because Kody wasn't sick...I thought they looked like a great idea!

http://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...d901e217ee.jpg

It's a binkie with Vick's in it...so they breathe it in while they're sucking.

kurly September 24th, 2013 04:40 PM

I did two ounces of pedialyte between bottles to flush him out when we had it. I also went in and turned on the shower super hot and let the bathroom get all steamy before I gave him his bath.

Feel better soon, Grady boy!

NewlyMrs September 24th, 2013 04:50 PM

Thanks for all the tips! You are all awesome. Gearing up for another night soon. Wish us luck!

ashj_1218 September 24th, 2013 07:35 PM

I am sorry he is sick :(

We do basically all that has been mentioned...especially the hot shower, saline, Vicks plug-ins, and elevating the crib (we stack books under the front legs and it elevates the head in their bed). Sick babies are so heartbreaking :(

LolaBadola September 25th, 2013 02:02 PM

How did your night go? Any better?

NewlyMrs September 25th, 2013 04:32 PM

No it got worse. Took him to the doc and he has croup. There's nothing we can give him except steam and cold air. And lots of snuggles. I'm also doing saline and the bulb +Vicks rub and little remedies pain reliever. I feel so helpless and totally emotional since I'm running on empty. My heart just breaks for him. Keeping a close eye on him and will take him to urgent care/emergency if he starts having difficulty breathing.

Thanks for checking in :)

kary4 September 25th, 2013 06:33 PM

Oh man, that's scary. I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. I thought there was a steroid medication they could give for croup? But maybe that's for older kids.

EverydayJoy September 25th, 2013 06:38 PM

Oh you poor thing. I hear you on being emotional. When it's your little baby it's so hard to watch them hurting.

Mrsbowbin September 26th, 2013 06:38 AM

Croup sucks!! We are on the downswing of Brock's illness but his cough is louder, just less frequent. I'm up with every snort, sniffle and cough all night as I'm sure you are too. After the trip to the ER I was watching his breathing so closly that I passed out playing with him after close to 48 hours w/o sleep. I still feel sick as a dog too, funny I use to be a big baby when I was ill now forget it....little guy is my only worry.

NewlyMrs September 26th, 2013 04:00 PM

I totally hear you, Michelle. I so wish I could be sick for him. I just wonder every second how he's feeling and what he's thinking. It must be so confusing for them.

Kary, they do have steroids but only for severe cases. That's what they would give him if we had to go to emergency. Luckily his seems to be on the more mild side.

realmom September 27th, 2013 02:15 AM

Just wondering how Grady is doing? My LO was also sick and it is so awful! Hope he is feeling better!

NewlyMrs September 27th, 2013 08:13 AM

Aw I'm sorry to hear that! This bug is definitely going around! Hope he's better soon.

Grady is doing so much better! Last night he was back in his own bed and only woke up to eat at 10 PM and 1 AM. Grady's pediatrician is actually a holistic doctor. She prescribes medication of course but tries natural remedies first. On Wednesday she gave him a tiny little herbal supplement that contained calcium. It was smaller than a grain of rice, crazy! She told me he would likely get worse before better. Wednesday was our worst night, up pretty much all night. One night later he was almost good as new. I don't know if it is coincidence but I am quite impressed and so happy we found her.

Today he still has a cough but not nearly as bad. I have my baby back!!

realmom September 27th, 2013 10:05 AM

Ah so glad to hear he is better! Hope he has an amazing night!