JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   May 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1872-may-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Those who sleep trained.... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1872-may-2013-playroom/2697007-those-who-sleep-trained.html)

Erin80 December 9th, 2013 04:32 AM

Those who sleep trained....

What method did you use? How did it go?

Lilah is not getting any better with her sleeping. Last night she was down at 7pm, up at 10pm to eat, up at 2:30am to eat, up at 4:30am screeching and yelling and WIDE awake. At 5:15 DH heated up a bottle and I fed her....she didn't even finish it, and she was still wide awake after. She finally went back to sleep around 5:45am, and she was up for the day at 6:20am.

The yelling and screaming/screeching she does in her crib is SO loud. I can't believe it didn't wake up my other two, and I worry about that constantly. I don't know how to get her to sleep.......she just won't sleep long stretches at all.

LabLover13 December 9th, 2013 10:05 AM

Re: Those who sleep trained....

Today is our 3rd day of CIO. I said I would never, ever be comfortable doing that with her...but that's where we're at. She didn't want to be rocked to sleep, she didn't want to go to sleep on her own anymore.

I'm not gonna lie, the first night was hard. We put her down at 7:10...she cried hard for 20 mins total. I went in at the 10 min mark and picked her up, calmed her down, and put her back down. She cried for another 10, and then rolled around in her crib for about 5 minutes (not crying at all) until she fell asleep.

She woke up at 11:30 and I fed her, because she hadn't eaten since 4 (didn't want her last bottle of the night before bed for some reason). Back down, no crying.

She woke again at 2:37 am. I knew she couldn't be hungry, because she's used to going 7+ hours w/o a bottle at night. So...we let her cry. She cried hard for 30 minutes total, with me going in after 10 minutes to pick her up and calm her down. That was excruciating.

Yesterday was day two, and she only cried for 10 minutes for one of her naps. She cried maybe 5 minutes at bedtime last night, then woke up at 3 for a bottle, back down w/o a peep. Slept till 7.

My mom is with her today, so we'll see how she does.

I've heard CIO shouldn't be used to night wean...it's best for babies who don't go to sleep on their own. To night wean, it's better to slowly reduce the amount in the bottle (by an ounce every couple days until switching to water).

Erin80 December 9th, 2013 11:12 AM

Hmmm it's so hard to know! Lilah can fall asleep on her own, she does for naps every day. I just lay her down and walk out of the room. I rarely hear a peep from her, she normally goes right to sleep. In the night I will hear her wake up once in a while, make some noise, then put herself back to sleep.

I don't really feel like I need to night wean her yet, I let my other two have a bottle in the night until 13 months and then I was able to cut that out within 2 days very, very easily. I don't mind Lilah eating once or even twice in the night since she's getting breast milk and she's barely eating any solids....but the waking up at 4:30am and screaming, yelling and screeching then crying because I won't get her up for the day is VERY frustrating. I don't think it would be as bad if I didn't have two other girls that could be disturbed by her early morning partying.

LolaBadola December 9th, 2013 10:29 PM

The Sleep Easy Solution is supposed to be fantastic. I tried it on Owen because he is an awful sleeper too, and it was hard, but was working, but then he got sick and you're not really supposed to sleep train them then, so now I'm just waiting until his cold passes. I've resorted to dressing him more at night (thinking he might be waking because he's cold) and now I've also resorted to a small bottle of formula at bedtime (me - the die hard breastfeeder is THAT desperate!). Last night was his first time having formula and being more layered. He went down at 7, woke at 1, and then again at 5:30, then slept until 7:30. VERY BIG DEAL in our house! Usually he's every 2-3 hours. Hope it keeps working...

Memi December 10th, 2013 06:09 PM

Se just did straight CIO. The initial falling asleep on the first night was pure torture for me. It sas awful--he cried for 90 minutes! ! I went in there 10 min in, 30 min in and 60 min in to rub his back, give him a paci and calm him just for a minute then left again. Never picked him up. After he fell asleep he only woke once that night and cried for 5 min. I didn't go in there.
Night 2 he cried for maybe 8 minutes. Woke once at night and fussed for 1 minute. Night 3 he fussed for 30 seconds and from then on typically sleeps thru the night but if he does wake its just to fuss for no more than 90 seconds and he's out again. I do a dream feed every night around 10:30 when I'm going to bed so both he and my boobs can adjust to STTN since prior to this he sas waking to snack 5x a night! Quite the improvement!

LabLover13 December 10th, 2013 07:45 PM

Yep, first night was the worst. Claire hasn't cried more than 5 minutes since...for naps, too! It's great.

She's still waking for a feed, but I'm ok with that...I think we'll wait till 8 or 9 months (at least) before we try to wean.