JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   May 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1872-may-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Food question (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1872-may-2013-playroom/2715186-food-question.html)

Erin80 April 4th, 2014 01:41 PM

Food question

I am still having major issues getting Lilah to eat. She won't eat any veggies besides sweet potato, and she won't eat any meat at all.

She eats oatmeal cereal every day, yogurt every day, and fruit mixed with oatmeal every day as well. Any time I try to give her a veggie mixed with meat, she won't eat it.

EverydayJoy April 4th, 2014 04:24 PM

Re: Food question

Well, Kody just recently started eating like a normal baby, table foods, and jarred baby food. He really doesn't care for vegetables either. I don't sweat it...he's getting plenty of nutrients from breastmilk still, and he gets fiber from the fruit. He will eat jarred carrots if I mix them with pears. You might try mixing her favorite fruit with veggies, or even do a smoothie in the blender? Maybe if the sweetness of the fruits are there, she will take the veggies. If you're worried about iron, you could add some liquid vitamin drops. Since she's eating the yogurt, she's getting protein, so I wouldn't worry too much about the meats. Those things smell like dog food (IMO), anyway. I've gotten Kody to eat a little bit of meats by mixing it into something he likes. Otherwise I just do what he likes and avoid a fight, because for a long time he was refusing baby foods or any food, so now that he eats it, I am all for letting him eat what he wants to keep the experience positive.

Erin80 April 5th, 2014 05:30 AM

Thanks :) I don't buy the jarred meats, lol, I make my own in the magic bullet and mix with chicken broth.

kary4 April 5th, 2014 05:41 AM

Do you use canned chicken broth or homemade? I have yet to make any meats. I have used the combo meat jars - summer vegetable turkey and chicken and sweet potato. She did well with those. But now she's on table foods so is rejecting jar food. I tried shredded chicken the other day and she was not digging it. I'll keep trying! But, like Joy said, they get protein from other sources - cheese, yogurt, breast milk...so I'm not too worried. Most 11 months olds don't like meat. How about hummus? Lexi loves hummus!

EverydayJoy April 5th, 2014 07:26 AM

Ah that's smart to avoid the jarred meats, Erin. Those things are disgusting! LOL.

jl046100 April 5th, 2014 11:20 AM

Joshua loves chicken but he's a greedy thing eats anything x

LabLover13 April 5th, 2014 03:31 PM

Have you tried giving her pieces of meat, rather than a puree?

Erin80 April 5th, 2014 05:20 PM

Yes, we tried small pieces of dark chicken meat a while ago....she gagged and gagged on it and scared me to death so I took it away.

I use Campbell's chicken broth to mix with my chicken, and I never try to feed her straight meat in puree form....I always mix it with sweet potato since she likes that..........however, I guess she doesn't like the chicken flavour because once it is mixed in, she won't eat it.

rheaimedved April 8th, 2014 10:10 PM

It sounds like she's actually eating pretty well! We can trick Misha into some kind of cereal once a day, and usually he'll eat some other kind of random stuff we give him... cheerios, puffs, etc, some table food, chunks of meat, fruits, regular potato, some vegetables (spinach and broccoli). He really likes chicken-veggie soup, but most other things consist of either a few bites or us tricking/forcing him to eat a little. But, still, like 30 oz a day of breast milk.