JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   May 2014 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1984-may-2014-playroom/)
-   -   Brand new or used? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1984-may-2014-playroom/2683114-brand-new-used.html)

mm1031 October 2nd, 2013 06:11 PM

Brand new or used?

Are you ladies going to get all of baby's things new or used? Are some items a must for buying new?
I think my inlaw's will get our travel system but I have friends with small babies that are planning on handing over their stuff that they don't need or use anymore. I know I plan on buying my baby some stuff cause I'm a Gymboree freak and can't stay out of there lol

Nel October 2nd, 2013 06:15 PM

Re: Brand new or used?

Travel system will be new, Im scared to buy a car seat second hand. Our crib is brand new too but we got it for like 95% off

Everything else will be off Kijiji I'm sure lol

lovemylittlemiss October 2nd, 2013 06:57 PM

If it was my first baby I would be comfortable getting everything used except the car seat. We will definitely be on the lookout for used baby stuff, especially clothes. They don't do showers in germany so pretty much everything will be on us. I still buy dd used clothes when I can, I just think it makes a lot of sense for babies.

Beeker October 2nd, 2013 07:12 PM

If you trust the person-take free stuff!! I would never ever buy a car seat used--but I would take one form a family member or a good friend. We have most of the stuff we need though.

Londons Butterfly October 2nd, 2013 07:47 PM

If I don't already had it I'll be getting it used. Maybe a few new things on discount.

anjewellove October 2nd, 2013 07:56 PM

Used. Except for car seat! I'm hoping to find a joovy ergo, walker, swing, ergo etc at the semiannual consignment sale going on in a couple weeks! If not then there will be another one around Easter.

Andrea1122 October 2nd, 2013 10:04 PM

I would never buy a used car seat, unless its from a close friend or family.
My BFF is selling me her infant seat that is in like new condition, and I will probably by a used swing. We need a new pack n play and I think I will get that new, and clothes new.

LUSHaye October 3rd, 2013 04:33 AM

Used. I'm sure some things will need to be bought new, but I'm not stressing over it right now. I assume the big ticket items (carseat and stroller set) will be brand new. The crib...I'm good at research so I'm not too worried about that part.

inyourhonor October 3rd, 2013 05:03 AM

New. If it's a boy, I'm set on clothing. But I've already got my list of things we need and the cost doesn't add up to a lot. I'm more comfortable buying certain things new. Such as a crib (We've decided to get one from Ikea) and a car seat. Those are the two big purchases I can think of that we will need.

I will never buy a used car seat.

mm1031 October 3rd, 2013 09:23 AM

I went to this baby trader store the other day and the prices for the used stuff was unbelievable considering every used item they had was in horrible condition & really dirty.

girlsofsummer October 3rd, 2013 10:04 AM

I'll be scouring Craigslist for sure.

What are your thoughts on a used crib? Not sure I trust one...

Masesmama October 3rd, 2013 02:39 PM

I think a used crib is fine as long as it's cleaned and you can check to make sure it hasn't been recalled. I bought one from my neighbor last time for 60$ and it was a $700 crib from JC PEnney. This time around, my husband will be getting a big bonus from work around Christmas time so we will be paying off my car and buying all the stuff we need. I will probably buy mostly new but I will be on the lookout for other things. My sister has a few neutral things like a bumbo and bassinet. I already have a convertible car seat from my son too but I'm giving that to my sister and buying a new one lol. I am weirdly in love with buying new car seats.

bella88 October 3rd, 2013 03:00 PM

There are things I will buy new for sure, like a car seat, but other than that it doesn't worry me much whether it is new or used. As long as it is well looked after. My friend has been planning a big baby shower since before I got pregnant so we probably will wait until after then to buy stuff that we still need.

mm1031 October 3rd, 2013 08:48 PM

I'm iffy on a used crib unless it came from someone I know very well!!

Tree_Love October 3rd, 2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masesmama (Post 27700827)
I am weirdly in love with buying new car seats.

This is me. I am the most excited to buy a new carseat for the baby. Lol. I would never buy a used one unless from a friend or family. You just don't know if it has been in an accident or something like that you know?

We have a crib from my DS that we will side car to our bed (think arms reach style) and lots of clothes, gDiapers and baby toys. Even if this baby is a girl I have a ton of gender neutral stuff cause apparently boy clothes have to have monkeys and I flipping hate monkeys. Like cartoon ones... Anyways, I am not opposed to used stuff and will keep my eyes peeled for deals!

Cheet_oh October 3rd, 2013 10:51 PM

If this baby is a boy, I'll have to buy clothing and towels, etc. new. If it's a girl, I'm set, but either way, I have to buy a new infant car seat because the one Ava and now Aria used expires in Dec.