JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Mental Health (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f69-mental-health/)
-   -   HELP starting Lexapro (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f69-mental-health/2592706-help-starting-lexapro.html)

babydaniel09 November 6th, 2012 03:44 PM

HELP starting Lexapro

Can anyone who has used lexapro or similar please tell me your initial side effects of the med? I am absolutely terrified after reading the reviews ont he net. I have had the box of Lex in my cupboard for over 6 months but am afraid to start......:confused:

smsturner November 28th, 2012 01:07 PM

Re: HELP starting Lexapro

My advice. DO NOT put it off because of scary internet stories.

There are lots of terrifying stories all over the net about every med you could possibly think of. There is no way to know what will work until you try, and the odds of you having such a drastic reaction are super super small

I have been on several - lexapro, wellbutrin, effexor, paxil and a few others. Every single one had super scary stories. The only one I've ever had a bad effect from was wellbutrin.
Lexapro gave me the least side effects of all of them. And it worked. I felt like a weight was lifted. Please don't put off something that could be sooo helpful to you because you see reviews on the internet! I almost did with effexor and it would have been a huge mistake.

I take effexor xr now because after so long the lexapro was less effective (normal with any antidepressant). I am on the third dosing up of effexor and someday I'm sure I will have to try another new thing. I have a lifelong depressive disorder and will need a med forever. It took a long time to come to terms with that, but the meds make me normal. There is nothing wrong with needing a med to make your brain work right.

babydaniel09 November 30th, 2012 03:33 PM

Thank you so much for your reply!! I have since started it, and you're right, no side effects, and it works very well!! I also believe that I have a life long disorder, and now feel like I should have had this med yeeeaaarrrrrsss ago!! Good luck with yours :))

MDS0307 November 30th, 2012 07:31 PM

Glad you started on it and it is going well. You really can't know how a drug will do until you try...everyone's body/chemistry is different and what happens with one person may not happen to another. Reading up on these meds can really freak you out though, I totally understand!!! ;)

Missa_Mae December 15th, 2012 09:00 PM

Glad you decided to start - one person's horror stories is not a view into what your experience will be like.

I was offered Zoloft several times and kept refusing it because I was scared of the side effects. Well, when I got pregnant & got hit with depression (never had depression before, just anxiety) I decided to start it as it one of the only AD's considered safe in pregnancy.

Now, I regret not starting it years ago ... I didn't have many side effects and it took a good 4-6 weeks for me to feel better but I've been on it 3+ months now and I feel like a different person. The depression, for the most part, is gone and the anxiety is gone, besides the everyday normal anxiety that a pregnant woman goes through lol.

Good Luck with your recovery :)