JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Mental Health (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f69-mental-health/)
-   -   Just curious, headaches, migraines? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f69-mental-health/2672078-just-curious-headaches-migraines.html)

pattyandthemoos August 13th, 2013 11:48 AM

Just curious, headaches, migraines?

I think that people with bipolar (and I'm not sure about the other disorders) are more likely to also get migraines. I think whatever makes my brain sensitive and causes sudden mood changes, also makes it sensitive to environmental triggers and causes migraines and headaches. I probably get 2 or 3 migraines a week, when they are at their worst. I am curious if anyone else gets migraines or headaches.

MommytoZoeAlyssa August 14th, 2013 08:55 AM

Re: Just curious, headaches, migraines?

I used to get Migranes really bad. I have woken up before with them and just cried it hurt so bad. For the past few months I have had a few bad headaches but no migranes. I noticed if sometimes if i was stressed out or overly emotional about something I got them and sometimes I got them with nothing going on. It is interesting though I am sure there is some connection.

steampunk August 14th, 2013 07:14 PM

I get nasty migraines as well (anxiety, depression, PTSD). I do worse when I have not gotten a good night's sleep. Magnesium and cutting back on my very high calcium intake has done wonders however.

pattyandthemoos August 15th, 2013 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modern Goddess (Post 27587774)
I get nasty migraines as well (anxiety, depression, PTSD). I do worse when I have not gotten a good night's sleep. Magnesium and cutting back on my very high calcium intake has done wonders however.

Really? I bought this book on the magnesium solution and tried it for a while but never could see a difference. I only discovered magnesium after I realized that I can sometimes get rid of a migraine by eating sunflower seeds so I figured it was the salt or something in the sunflower seeds (magnesium). For me sunflower seeds help a lot, but they don't always help.

I do find it interesting how many of us also get migraines.

steampunk August 15th, 2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pattyandthemoos (Post 27588404)
Really? I bought this book on the magnesium solution and tried it for a while but never could see a difference. I only discovered magnesium after I realized that I can sometimes get rid of a migraine by eating sunflower seeds so I figured it was the salt or something in the sunflower seeds (magnesium). For me sunflower seeds help a lot, but they don't always help.

I do find it interesting how many of us also get migraines.

How is your calcium intake? I also suggest Vitamin D if the magnesium alone did not work. I take 500mg of magnesium and 1000 mg of vit d.

pattyandthemoos August 15th, 2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modern Goddess (Post 27588560)
How is your calcium intake? I also suggest Vitamin D if the magnesium alone did not work. I take 500mg of magnesium and 1000 mg of vit d.

Well originally I was taking a calcium supplement and magnesium. Are you saying I shouldn't take it with calcium? I haven't tried vitamin D. I also take Lithium for my bipolar (which is a salt) but I think it has actually helped my migraines some.

steampunk August 15th, 2013 09:32 AM

Apparentlymit is a balance with how much calcium is too much, and it all depends on the person. Inused to take a calcium supplement and got horrible migraines, stopped it and they went away. I looked into my diet and saw that I was actually getting more than the recommended calcium because there is calcium in a lot of things that I had no idea. Calcium dilutes magnesium so too uch calcium to magnesium ratio will continue the migraines. It took me a few months of trial and error to find my balance.

Also, interesting theroy I read while researching all this stuff over the past few years - studies have shown that people who have more frequent migraines are more likely to have mood disorders, so do the miragines cause the mood disorders or or the mood disorders cause the miragines?

pattyandthemoos August 15th, 2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modern Goddess (Post 27588837)
Apparentlymit is a balance with how much calcium is too much, and it all depends on the person. Inused to take a calcium supplement and got horrible migraines, stopped it and they went away. I looked into my diet and saw that I was actually getting more than the recommended calcium because there is calcium in a lot of things that I had no idea. Calcium dilutes magnesium so too uch calcium to magnesium ratio will continue the migraines. It took me a few months of trial and error to find my balance.

Also, interesting theroy I read while researching all this stuff over the past few years - studies have shown that people who have more frequent migraines are more likely to have mood disorders, so do the miragines cause the mood disorders or or the mood disorders cause the miragines?

I've read the same thing. I read a lot on migraines and bipolar. I think that they are just related because our brains are more sensitive to changes. That's just my thoughts.