JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Mental Health (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f69-mental-health/)
-   -   Having kids? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f69-mental-health/2674843-having-kids.html)

pattyandthemoos August 26th, 2013 07:32 AM

Having kids?

Did people or your doctor give you a hard time about having kids because of your illness?

When I was younger and first started talking to my doctor about having kid they treated me like I should never have kids because of my bipolar. Like, I wouldn't be able to manage it without meds and even made me feel like I wouldn't be capable of being a mom. But I have done really well with my life. I have 5 kids. We have a six bedroom house, homeschool, and are pretty happy.

smsturner August 26th, 2013 07:52 AM

Re: Having kids?

No one did, except for me.
I have a major depressive disorder that holds the hand of my adhd.
I was excited, but worried, now I find I have a hard time judging how I do. I really get down on myself over it. And the fact that both of my kids have inherited the ADHD part of me, I have a hard time not guilting the heck out of myself for it.

As far as doing it without meds? I can't. I tried, I need them to function.

BriarRose August 26th, 2013 09:00 AM

This is one of the reasons we are waiting. I am trying to see how functional I can get before having kids. I am worlds better than I used to be but still have my bad days. I will make sure my OB knows I have a history of depression so they can watch me for PPD. My mother had mental issues that she never sought help for and denied they were there and it screwed me up. Won't let that happen to my kid.

..Michelle.. August 31st, 2013 02:27 PM

I'm going off my meds so we can try. I think I'm losing my mind. I have depersonalization disorder and it's really messing with me lately.
So far everyone has been really supportive considering my last PG ended up with Roman sick and dying. We all know I can't be on my meds if we're trying and my doc, my psych and family have all been pretty cool with everything.....so far. Not sure how they'll act if I end up hospitalized again for my bipolar.

lapoema December 12th, 2013 07:19 AM

My doc says if I want to get pregnant again I would have to taper off my meds first and have regular counseling/ psych visits during the entire pregnancy. Last pregnancy I had to take meds, and I don't want to do that again if possible, so I doubt I will be TTC again.

Spottts December 23rd, 2013 02:32 PM

I only had one nurse give me a very hard time about having kids. I had been in the hospital due to preterm labor for days. It was the 3rd time I was admitted and was starting to feel worse emotionally. She suggested I get a tubal and my kids should go into foster care. She and her Southern Baptist Pastor husband prayed for "people like me." After I cried, she back pedaled really fast and didn't mean to "offend" me. Night Nurse Barbara, I won't ever forget you. Let's hope I don't see your face with this pregnancy. It took me years to not feel extremely angry about this treatment.

My psychiatrist and psychologist were both fine with me having more kids. After DD 1, I gave myself a hard time about feeling defective and like I shouldn't be allowed to have kids. But, therapy really helped.