JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Mental Health (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f69-mental-health/)
-   -   Your diagnosis (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f69-mental-health/2679789-your-diagnosis.html)

pattyandthemoos September 18th, 2013 10:27 AM

Your diagnosis

How long did it take for doctors to correctly diagnose you? Were you ever misdiagnosed?

I was diagnosed with bipolar when I was 18 and I think my symptoms were pretty obvious. I also had a strong family history of it so I think I knew and they knew that this was what was wrong. I've known others with bipolar that were not correctly diagnosed for years. I always feel bad and I think I am really good at spotting bipolar symptoms. I have friends that have bipolar and a lot of times I can tell if they have problems with talking super fast or not sleeping for days or stuff like that.

..Michelle.. September 19th, 2013 01:31 AM

Re: Your diagnosis

I started having problems in 1995 when I was 17 years old. I was dating an older guy (he was 35) and my parents kicked me out of the house. I had to find a place to live and work and finish high school. Of course it didn't work out with the guy so my doctor just thought it was "teenaged angst" and mild depression. I suffered until 2001 when I self-admitted to an inpatient facility. I was there for 12 days and was FINALLY properly diagnosed with bipolar 1 along with depersonalization disorder, social anxiety and panic disorder.

steampunkgoddess September 19th, 2013 07:03 AM

I have had several guesses but never an actual diagnosis. All the doctors wanted to do was drug me, and I wanted therapy without drugs. I know that I have PTSD and anxiety, and am either bipolar or have depression.

..Michelle.. September 19th, 2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modern Goddess (Post 27665685)
I have had several guesses but never an actual diagnosis. All the doctors wanted to do was drug me, and I wanted therapy without drugs. I know that I have PTSD and anxiety, and am either bipolar or have depression.

I'm not surprised all they wanted to do is drug you. That's why I admitted myself for care. My family doc (just a general doc) wanted me to try meds until I "felt" better and nothing was working. I finally got the combo of therapy AND meds. Without them both at the beginning, I doubt I would have been this strong later.

amandabanana September 22nd, 2013 02:48 PM

When I was a teenager I was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder and now as an adult I've been diagnosed with Panic Disorder, which seems to fit me better.

Spottts December 7th, 2013 09:14 AM

At first I was just labeled as postpartum depression I think. I talked the OB and they sent me up with a Pdoc. I was so alarming they wouldn't let me leave their office until I had appointment with a Pdoc scheduled.

I was on Zoloft only for 2 weeks only? Before the dx was changed to bipolar. It wasn't until years later I learned I also had a dx of PTSD. I had thought so but my pills were working for the bp so what did another dx matter? Childbirth was not the reason for the PTSD.

lapoema December 12th, 2013 06:21 AM

Major depressive disorder and possible bipolar 2 with paranoia (the last part I don't agree with, lol).

In the past I have also had issues with anxiety, OCD and self-harm.