JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Mental Health (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f69-mental-health/)
-   -   Feeling Overwhelmed (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f69-mental-health/2698446-feeling-overwhelmed.html)

MommytoZoeAlyssa December 16th, 2013 07:26 AM

Feeling Overwhelmed

The past couple of weeeks I have really felt overwhelmed and like my medication is not helping like it once did. I have been overly anxious and nervous and cry at the drop of a hat.. I let things get to me and I am really over thinking everything. I know a lot of this is just pregnancy hormones but I just feel really stressed out and sad. I guess with it getting closer to my due date i am just nervous and scared for various reasons. Its been nearly 8 years since i have cared for a newborn, I am a single mother thankfully i have great support system with my parents. However I do not want this baby's father in her life he lied to me while we were together and he has a drug problem and can't keep a job. He messaged me on facebook running his mouth about him wanting to be in her life. I made it very clear to him I did not want that and he would have to prove paternity and take me to court to ever see her. I guess all that is just really getting to me. I just worry about PPD after I have the baby and falling into a major deppressive state. I just needed to kind of talk I guess so thanks for taking the time to read this.

pattyandthemoos December 16th, 2013 10:06 AM

Re: Feeling Overwhelmed

(((HUGS))) It sounds like it's not your mental health issues, per say, that are causing you stress, but the baby's dad. I know that the people in my life can sometimes affect my moods. If dh is unhappy and grouchy or I'm stressed about something in my life, then my moods get all out of wack. I'm sorry that you have extra stuff to deal with that takes away from the excitement of having a new baby. Focus on your little baby and try not to worry too much. If you do end up with PPD, know that it gets better. Just watch for it and talk to your doctors.

I've been feeling a little down myself the last few days, but I think it's just my regular mood swings.

Hang in there girl.

LisaMT December 16th, 2013 12:44 PM

I hear you. I also agree with pattyandthemoos, when we compound giving birth with additional stressors things get hard. But the fact that you are aware and on top of the situation is good! One thing that really helps me is slowing life down, taking one moment at a time. Finding something within the next hour that is satisfying. When dealing with ppd, I would specifically choose to do something that made me happy. Hold my baby, make a cake, things like that...that I really enjoyed doing. Forget the external stress for a while and just enjoy the moment. Hugs to you sweet mama - enjoy that little baby!

hugskisses120 December 18th, 2013 09:24 AM

I am so sorry you are having a rough time-it sounds like your mood is being influenced greatly by situational issues that you have no control over and I can imagine how hard that is for you. Being pregnant is hard enough but when you add outside stressors to the situation, it can seem impossible to deal with.

Just know you are not alone and there is hope. I use a lot of DBT skills and one of them is to treat moods and anxiety with pleasant events. I agree with LisaMT on doing something to make you happy. I know the last thing you may feel like doing is picking yourself up and doing something pleasant but sometimes, for me anyway, something as simple as lighting a candle and smelling it and watching the flame flicker or listening to a favorite song can help even if just in that moment. I have a list of over 100 pleasant events that I choose from and force myself to do and often times, it helps more than I thought it would. Just an idea!

Hang in there and know that you are stronger than you may think and you will get through this...I wish you the best!

MommytoZoeAlyssa December 18th, 2013 01:20 PM

Thank you all so much for the encouring words!
Taking it day by day and trying to just focus on the positive things. I know it will all work out just gotta stay strong!