JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Mental Health (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f69-mental-health/)
-   -   Bipolar chics, what do you have more of hypo/mania or depression (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f69-mental-health/2718985-bipolar-chics-what-do-you-have-more-hypo-mania-depression.html)

pattyandthemoos May 3rd, 2014 07:49 AM

Bipolar chics, what do you have more of hypo/mania or depression

and which is harder for you to manage?

I have much more problems with mania and hypomania than I do depression. My manic/hypomanic episodes last much longer than my depression episodes. My depression usually only lasts 2 or 3 days but when it does it hits HARD. I find myself liking the mania because it feels good and haven't always managed it as well as I should. In the past, I've found myself wanting to stay up so I would feed my mania so that I stay manic longer and don't get depressed instead of trying to do things to stay calm. I am doing much better these days with managing both because I am on effective medications that really work as long as I don't miss any doses. I've downloaded an app to help me so I don't forget to take them and it's made a huge difference and I realize how much better I feel when I consistently take everything on time.

But in general my mania is much harder for me to manage and sometimes I will feel like I'm fine, feel great, but later have regrets or anxiety about how obnoxious I acted while in that state. I'm pretty obnoxious anyway. Most of my good friends are used to it and know how to take me. But, I talk a whole lot when I get like this and will overshare or give out relationship/sex advice etc when I should probably chill out and keep it to myself. But, I have been married 18 years so I think I know a thing or two about relationships. LOL

hugskisses120 June 5th, 2014 03:18 PM

Re: Bipolar chics, what do you have more of hypo/mania or depression

Hi! I have not had a manic episode since I was a teenager (I'm 29 now) but I do tend to swing from severe depression to mixed episodes where I have symptoms of depression and mania. Even though neither one is healthy, I would much prefer mania as I felt completely on top of the world and like nothing could stop me when I was manic. Now I am just tired, depressed, feel hopeless, and cry all the time when I'm depressed.

I understand acting obnoxious when manic because when I am having a mixed episode I will talk to anyone and everyone about everything and later I realize maybe I opened my big mouth a little too much and feel embarrassed later.

How long ago were you diagnosed with Bipolar and is it 1 or 2 just out of curiosity? Do you have psychosis as well?

pattyandthemoos June 6th, 2014 08:59 AM

Re: Bipolar chics, what do you have more of hypo/mania or depression

I was diagnosed at 18 and I have bipolar 1. When I first was diagnosed things were pretty bad. Now I manage it alot better because I recognize my symptoms and get help before they get too out of control.

I also have alot of mixed episodes. Right now I'm in a mixed episode. I had been extremely depressed for over two weeks, which is not the norm for me. It was a very bad depression and I'm not completely out of it. Now I am in this mixed state and having alot of anxiety as well. This is probably my least favorite mood to be in. I would prefer to be manic without the mix.