JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Military Mommies (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f51-military-mommies/)
-   -   Joining the list of newbies! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f51-military-mommies/2640303-joining-list-newbies.html)

minalyn April 3rd, 2013 03:09 PM

Joining the list of newbies!

Hi all. I'm Amanda 27 with a 12 week old. Not only is DH in the Air Force, personnelist, I am too, Aviaition Resource Management. We're stationed at Nellis AFB, NV and we've been here for 4+ years. Hoping since we're "hot" for orders our time will come this summer to move on from Las Vegas.

Aenyx April 3rd, 2013 05:09 PM

Welcome! I'm April, dh is in the Army and we have a 20 month old named Alexandra. We're currently stationed in Washington. :)

clouise April 6th, 2013 08:10 PM

Re: Joining the list of newbies!

Welcome! My husband is in the Coast Guard and we are stationed in the DC area. I stay home with our four children. We've been around the Air Force a fair amount and lived on Keesler AFB in Mississippi, Patrick AFB in Florida, and Andrews in Maryland. Keesler and Patrick were fantastic and I'd love to go back to either. I wasn't a fan of Andrews.

minalyn April 10th, 2013 10:30 AM

We'd love to go to Washington. Actually going there for vacation in July. What didn't you like about Andrews? Their misison is what attracts me.

clouise April 13th, 2013 02:45 PM

Andrews is in a rough area....bad school district. Our housing was run down, and in the year we lived there they closed the bowling alley and movie theater. What little they did offer for families, they were sure to make "Air Force only" even though it is a joint base and command. In short I didn't feel it was a good environment for my kids. We rented a lovely house off base about 30 minutes away, and that is where we live now. My husband doesn't mind the commute and it is a nice area.

We do like going into DC...there is so much to see and do. That is definitely the best part of being in this area. You might even like it since your little guy is so young. There are a lot of young families there and it is easy to make friends.

Aenyx April 13th, 2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minalyn (Post 27274240)
We'd love to go to Washington. Actually going there for vacation in July. What didn't you like about Andrews? Their misison is what attracts me.

I love it here. We're at JBLM and I think it is pretty nice. People complain about some of the areas around it but honestly there's only one pretty bad area.the weather isn't as bad as everyone says either. Where in WA are you vacationing?

Dakotas_mom April 22nd, 2013 02:04 PM

Welcome to the board!!! I'm Jennifer. My dh is in the Air Force also. We are stationed at Barksdale AFB, La, but we will be making our way in Japan in Sept.