JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Mommies With an Eating Disorder (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f201-mommies-eating-disorder/)
-   -   Intake Stories (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f201-mommies-eating-disorder/2456514-intake-stories.html)

Miguels mommy December 1st, 2011 01:31 PM

Intake Stories

If you have gone trough treatment. This may help others to know what to expect.

How did you decide to go?

Was it inpatient, day treatment, or out patent?

What was intake like?

What happened after intake?

How has it been / was?

Miguels mommy December 1st, 2011 02:51 PM

Re: Intake Stories

Most recent and best.

How did you decide to go? I decided I should go while 'well' because eventually I would have too. I went after my DH had been going there for a while.

Was it inpatient, day treatment, or out patent? Currently it's outpatient but it could go to day treatment or inpatient when / if I ask.

What was intake like? I was a walk in at 8 am they gave me about 6 pages to fill out. Then I was called back and talked to a guy for about 3 hours (DH's intake was about 45 min.). He brought my ED up and asked a few questions. Then we moved on, it was a lot less stressful then I thought it was going to be.

He then set me up with a psy. and reminded me they won't force me to take medication but it's so I have a Dr. to go over treatment and help me decide what's best for me and set me up with a therapist.

What happened after?I went to the psy. 2 weeks later. We talked, DH talked, psy. dx. me with bipolar 1 again. I told him I didn't want meds. He thought it would help. We talked more. well. He took out all the meds. that can worsen my ed or make me gain weight so it limits what I can take. I asked for welbutrin again. He told me no. I pouted, and told him that that was the only thing that has helped so far. he gave me a choice of three and his suggested one. I told him my concerns including me not take meds. properly. Told me to think about it. We moved on to questions about my ED. He told DH that he's not aloud to worry or bother me about it until I no longer have periods regularly. Asked if he can occasional weigh me, that was a no. He asked about the meds. again. I agreed and then set me with an appointment in a month.

A month later he added an anti-depressant that has a short half life just in-cases I stopped taking it.

My therapist has seen me two times. First time she suggested I may have ADHD and was very confused with some of my answer. Second time she talked to DH about me.

How has it been / was? My Psy. Is really good. My therapist is still confused about how to approach me because I've stopped therapy so many other times.

alethia December 5th, 2011 01:27 PM

I've been a few times :( but my first experiance:

How did you decide to go? i was forced :(

Was it inpatient, day treatment, or out patent? inpatient for 2 months

What was intake like? first there was a phone interview about an hour long and then at the hospital it was about an hour of questions, then a physical (check your body over for cuts, brusies (self harm type stuff) as well as blood pressure, weight, etc) then a photo was taken and a tour then getting settled into my room and onto the progrm

What happened after intake? ooops just said it :lol: tour, getting settled and then joinging the other girls in the program

How has it been / was? it was really ackward for me ... i felt like i didn't belong there ... i wasn't sick enough (who doesn't think that?!) it was hard to open up, i fought the program really hard because i didn't want to be there and i wasn't ready to be healthy - i wanted to be sick still

tennessee December 5th, 2011 02:18 PM

I have been to inpatient and outpatient. How did you decide to go?

Was it inpatient, day treatment, or out patent?
I went through outpatient when I was a teenager. It was "forced". I did not really get better. I decided as an adult to seek treatment again (volunteer). I did not get better and crashed at one point and had to go to inpatient. This was ultimately voluntatilry but I was not really given an option.

What was intake like?
it was different for inpatient and outpatient.
outpatient was several questions, getting to know you and evaluations. Inpatient was tests, etc.

What happened after intake?
Same as above. For outpatient, I started seeing the outpatient treatment team on a regular basis. For inpatient, I was admitted to the ward and the treatment goals were established as well as the estimated length of treatment. I was inpatient for around 8 weeks.
How has it been / was: It has been a very long struggle, but doing better. I still see my outpatient treatment team.

ashj_1218 December 7th, 2011 12:31 PM

I have been through many rounds of treatment, mostly inpatient with a step-down program (to intensive outpatient, then outpatient).

I have a variety of experiences, not sure which one/s is most helpful/applicable.

I was forced into treatment sessions 1, 2, and 3. I opted for sessions 4, 5, and 6.

Session 1 was two months long. It was stupid, potentially more harmful than helpful. Inpatient with no step-down program. Hospital setting. It took a boatload of paperwork on my/my parents behalf. It was boring, but I was not into listening anyway. It was probably the most pointless treatment of my experiences.

Session 2 was about 11 months long. It was the most medical experience I had. Also hospital setting. Inpatient for most of that time, some intensive outpatient in the last month. Again, lots of paperwork, but my parents filled it out because they had power of attorney and I was not capable of doing so. I did learn a lot from that experience and think it was ultimately the most helpful of the stays. I just had not *quite* gotten it yet.

Session 3 was another 11-13 months (I know those two combined were almost 2 years total). It was the same setting as session 2. This one had more intensive outpatient and it was rather helpful when paired with session two. They were only separated by a few months anyway. Again, this was a helpful session and I think I learned a lot. I was improving, even if not enough to stay out of treatment.

Session 4 was short and sweet (6 weeks). Same venue as two and three. Just a tune-up. My first time choosing to go in. Although strangely that did not feel as empowering as I thought it would. Lots of paperwork for me, since I was capable of doing it and admitting myself. All inpatient. I left because I really had exhausted that program to the fullest extent.

Session 5 was 9 months long. At a private treatment center, inpatient. Was wonderful for learning independence, motivation, and about myself. I was ready and it was not too much leg-work getting in. Not a ton of paperwork. I liked the staff and the program itself. Only downfall was that it was not enough support for me and I needed a little more intensity. Overall, it was very helpful for non-ED stuff (like self-esteem, living independently, self-motivations, etc).

Session 5 was my last session, over 6 years ago. It was at a residental treatment center. Inpatient (had the option of outpatient, but was not local for me). TONS of paperwork and legwork to get in. Felt like it would never end. Great program, lots of benefits to it. Would prolly choose it again if I ever needed treatment again (inpatient). I exited on my own accord (which most treatment centers are not a fan of)...but did nothing but improve after leaving.

I hit "matenience recovery" of body and mind about 12-18 months after leaving. Have been there ever since. Still do see my counselor and don't intend to stop. I do think that for ME, I needed lots of treatment to really "get" it and be able to apply it. I am a stubborn one and it is prolly what ultimately worked for me. I figured a brief overview was best suited. I did not mention locations...but would if someone needed me to.