JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   The Mommy Lounge (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f28-mommy-lounge/)
-   -   Are any Mommies not going to pretend Santa exists? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f28-mommy-lounge/117026-any-mommies-not-going-to-pretend-santa-exists.html)

veggirocks December 12th, 2005 11:57 AM

My mom never pretended cause she didn't see the point and I do not plan to either. I want my child to know her family is where the gifts come from.

EmilysMommy04 December 12th, 2005 06:36 PM

We are doing Santa. We did it in my family and when i was a child i remeber that feeling waiting for santa to come it really was magical for me as a child. I think its perfectly healthy to have santa. Santa did exist along time ago there was a man who did deliver presents to kids in a small town on christmas eve he would put a little something in the shoes they left outside there doors. He may not bealive in person but there is always spirit. what we do is we have presents from mommy and daddy then some from santa. I can remember the magic of christmas i had as a child and i wont rob Emily of that. Those were my happiest childhood memories. Also we are keying Jesus into it too. Santa brings the gifts at night to the children of the world just as the 3 kings did for jesus.

tamw402004 December 13th, 2005 01:30 PM

I believed in Santa when I was a kid. I enjoyed playing Santa for my 3 older kids. Heck, I still put out a stocking & a special gift for my 16 year old. { From Santa on Christmas Morning} I will continue the tradition with our baby after he or she is born. :D

bellebutton December 13th, 2005 01:44 PM

Quote:

We are doing Santa. We did it in my family and when i was a child i remeber that feeling waiting for santa to come it really was magical for me as a child. I think its perfectly healthy to have santa. Santa did exist along time ago there was a man who did deliver presents to kids in a small town on christmas eve he would put a little something in the shoes they left outside there doors. He may not bealive in person but there is always spirit. what we do is we have presents from mommy and daddy then some from santa. I can remember the magic of christmas i had as a child and i wont rob Emily of that. Those were my happiest childhood memories. Also we are keying Jesus into it too. Santa brings the gifts at night to the children of the world just as the 3 kings did for jesus.[/b]
That is very well said!!! :cheer: I also believe that children, who have amazing imaginations can believe in something so wonderful as a Santa. We do it for the kids. I think the simple things like seeing a childs face on Christmas moring is priceless. Its not like when they do find out that there is no Santa, Easter Bunny, Toothfairy ect that they are so mad that they hold it against you forever. I think you are taking away the spirit of Christmas (or what have you) if you tell a child that no there is no Santa. We do it because it makes the kids excited and it excites us to see their reaction. I feel sorry for the kids that parents deprive them of makebelieve. I think its cruel to tell someone that there isnt a Santa. Besides isnt that what Christmas is all about too. When people think of Christmas...Santa comes to mind. Also I dont think a child really cares that parents bought the presents, they are happy to get something

Kelley December 13th, 2005 01:49 PM

I think its great to do the whloe Santa act! Its so delightful to see there little faces light up when they see Santa and get there presents..I couldnt never do that with my kids

veggirocks December 13th, 2005 05:21 PM

I grew up knowing Santa didn't exist and Christmas was the most amazing time for me too. I couldn't imagin being more excited Christmas morning and it had nothing to do w/ Santa. If my child ever asked me if there's such a thing as Santa I'd ask him if he believed there is and if he said yes then I'd say that's what's important then and that it's all about imagination. The spirit of Christmas is whatever one makes of it and it's not based on the idea of Santa. When people think of Christmas many things come to mind. I think of the smell of a Christmas tree personally. As a child I loved knowing my mom was the one who bought me all those great gifts. We'd always make a day (or 2 or 3!) of going shopping together for presents and she'd give me cash to buy the gifts I needed to buy. Then we'd go home and spend hours wrapping them. I'd wake up Christmas morning between 5am-7am and go wake her up then we'd sit in our jammies and open gifts for an hour or so and have hot cinnamon tea and then sit around all day watching movies and playing games. Those were awesome tmes and Santa wasn't involded in any of it and couldn't had made any of it any better.

EmilysMommy04 December 13th, 2005 05:30 PM

Quote:

I grew up knowing Santa didn't exist and Christmas was the most amazing time for me too. I couldn't imagin being more excited Christmas morning and it had nothing to do w/ Santa. If my child ever asked me if there's such a thing as Santa I'd ask him if he believed there is and if he said yes then I'd say that's what's important then and that it's all about imagination. The spirit of Christmas is whatever one makes of it and it's not based on the idea of Santa. When people think of Christmas many things come to mind. I think of the smell of a Christmas tree personally. As a child I loved knowing my mom was the one who bought me all those great gifts. We'd always make a day (or 2 or 3!) of going shopping together for presents and she'd give me cash to buy the gifts I needed to buy. Then we'd go home and spend hours wrapping them. I'd wake up Christmas morning between 5am-7am and go wake her up then we'd sit in our jammies and open gifts for an hour or so and have hot cinnamon tea and then sit around all day watching movies and playing games. Those were awesome tmes and Santa wasn't involded in any of it and couldn't had made any of it any better.[/b]
I will never boot santa out lol unless he doesnt leave me any cookies lol. Anyhow i remember how exciting it was to go to sleep and wake up surprised by what santa brought To know the magic of it when i was a kid even now as im thinking of it i have that feeling inside me ohhh it was wonderful.

veggirocks December 13th, 2005 07:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I grew up knowing Santa didn't exist and Christmas was the most amazing time for me too. I couldn't imagin being more excited Christmas morning and it had nothing to do w/ Santa. If my child ever asked me if there's such a thing as Santa I'd ask him if he believed there is and if he said yes then I'd say that's what's important then and that it's all about imagination. The spirit of Christmas is whatever one makes of it and it's not based on the idea of Santa. When people think of Christmas many things come to mind. I think of the smell of a Christmas tree personally. As a child I loved knowing my mom was the one who bought me all those great gifts. We'd always make a day (or 2 or 3!) of going shopping together for presents and she'd give me cash to buy the gifts I needed to buy. Then we'd go home and spend hours wrapping them. I'd wake up Christmas morning between 5am-7am and go wake her up then we'd sit in our jammies and open gifts for an hour or so and have hot cinnamon tea and then sit around all day watching movies and playing games. Those were awesome tmes and Santa wasn't involded in any of it and couldn't had made any of it any better.[/b]
I will never boot santa out lol unless he doesnt leave me any cookies lol. Anyhow i remember how exciting it was to go to sleep and wake up surprised by what santa brought To know the magic of it when i was a kid even now as im thinking of it i have that feeling inside me ohhh it was wonderful.
[/b]
Luckily I too get that same feeling because of how wonderful it felt during Christmas time again having nothing to do w/ the idea of Santa. As long as the parents do it correctly any child can and will feel that same special feeling during Xmas whether or not Santa is involved or not. Santa doesn't make Christmas...the loving people around the child does.

By all the responses here it's clear that the idea of Santa is for the parents and not the kids. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Just an observation that I didn't fully realize before. Similar to parents who have nurseries for their babies. It's for them...not the child when you really think about it.

mrobinson December 14th, 2005 10:14 AM

I love Santa and one of my favorite things is go onto Norad's website and track him. (it's so cute and it makes me tear up... but that's just me...)

However, my rock & roll station has reasons why Santa & rock go together:
1) Santa paved the way for red velvet and black leather boots
2) He can be caught with a pipe in his mouth
3) He creates a media frenzy once a year!

And that's two devil horns way up for those of you who have mullet-tude!

mrobinson December 14th, 2005 10:32 AM

Here's the link for Tracking Santa if anyone is interested!

This is the 50th Anniversary that NORAD and its predecessor, the Continental Air Defense Command (CONAD) have tracked Santa. The tradition began after a Colorado Springs-based Sears Roebuck & Co. store advertisement for children to call Santa on a special "hotline" included an inadvertently misprinted telephone number. Instead of Santa, the phone number put kids through to the CONAD Commander-in-Chief's operations "hotline." The Director of Operations, Colonel Harry Shoup, received the first "Santa" call on Christmas Eve 1955. Realizing what had happened, Colonel Shoup had his staff check radar data to see if there was any indication of Santa making his way south from the North Pole. Indeed there were signs of Santa and children who called were given an update on Santa's position. Thus, the tradition was born. In 1958, the governments of Canada and the United States decided to create a bi-national air defense command for the North American continent called the North American Air Defense Command. Canada and the U.S. believed they could better defend North America together as a team instead of separately.

The Command carried out its first Santa tracking in 1958 after inheriting the tradition from CONAD. Since that time, Canadian and American men and women who work at NORAD have responded to phone calls from children personally. Additionally, media from all over the world call NORAD on Christmas Eve for updates on Santa's location. Last year this Website was visited by millions of people who wanted to know Santa's whereabouts. This year, the information is provided in six languages.

NORAD relies on many volunteers to help make Santa tracking possible. Many people at Cheyenne Mountain and Peterson Air Force Base spend part of their Christmas Eve with their families and friends at NORAD's Santa Tracking Operations Center in order to answer phones and provide Santa updates to the many thousands of children who call in.

----------------------
I get all choked up just reading it!

singlecrochet December 14th, 2005 10:38 AM

I agree with the opinion that Santa is more for the parents than the children. Christmas can be as wonderful as we want it to be, with or without Santa (with or without Jesus for that matter).

We include the fact that St. Nicholas was a real man, with a REAL BIG heart and that it is just ONE of the MANY traditions that has formed the Christmas holiday.

I always knew the Santa at the store was just a man dressed up and I never resented knowing that. Christmas was ALWAYS spectacular for me. Ressurrecting a dead guy is not necessary at all.

If you really feel your child(ren) will not be affected by the lie than by all means follow your tradition, but just know that for those of us who always understood the truth, the magic of Christmas was not diminished in ANY way whatsoever.

Yes, the spirit of St. Nick lives on in those of us who carry on the tradition of celebrating the season with acts of giving of gifts, time, money, ourselves, etc.