JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   The Mommy Lounge (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f28-mommy-lounge/)
-   -   Just a quick question and then I'll get back to Daddy's Lounge! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f28-mommy-lounge/151573-just-quick-question-and-then-i-ll-get-back-to-daddy-s-lounge.html)

maximize February 13th, 2006 07:02 PM

This is just a quick question. And you could really help me out.

I'm trying to figure out who the popular parenting gurus are today. I've got two grandchildren and one more on the way. I want to know who my kids are talking about as I get more involved in their lives.

In my day, it was Dr. Spock and James Dobson. Who would you rate as a great parenting resource and what's their specialty.

Thanks,

David

dkmommy February 13th, 2006 08:38 PM

ummmmm - i guess i would say dr. phil?
oooh! and the nannies from nanny 911 and supernanny - LOL!
they are guru's right now - and i believe one of hem has a book. don't remember her name though :P

Heavenly February 13th, 2006 08:46 PM

I agree, Dr. Phil & The nannies.

maximize February 13th, 2006 08:52 PM

Quote:

I agree, Dr. Phil & The nannies.[/b]
Really! That surprises me. I thought they were more pop icons. Interesting.

dkmommy February 14th, 2006 09:47 AM

they are pop icons also i believe, but the nannies are known for using their expertise to whip families into shape with unruly kids (ok, bad pun not intended :blush:) so they have rapidly become guru's
as for dr. phil, he is basically known as a guru for everything LOL - but he does have a book on how you should parent your child i believe. i'm not a huge fan of dr. phil, but i tend to agree with him on SOME things.

~Casey~ February 14th, 2006 11:16 AM

I hear a lot of people referencing Dr Sears. I believe the book I hear mentioned a lot is The No Cry Sleep Solution. Don't quote me on that one. I personally am not into his parenting style, but I think a lot of people are. HTH! :smile:

SavaAngel February 14th, 2006 10:48 PM

I agree with Dr. Phil and the nannies!

My SIL (she is in her mid 30's) swears by baby wise - it is a book title. She said she used it for all three of hers and they were sleeping through the night at a super early age. Some people disagree with it, but it doesn't always work for every person/baby!

Sassy5d February 15th, 2006 09:48 AM

David!! You're more then welcome to participate as much as you want.. I'm sure the ladies would love a male perspective on things..(I think your insight might be helpful on the thread about "where were you ready")

Alot of people turn to Dr.Greene for parenting advice.. he's got a great website..
Dr. Sears is popular also..

Its seems this era of parenting, the current trend is all natural...

hth

Becky