JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   The Mommy Lounge (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f28-mommy-lounge/)
-   -   EMERGENCY HELP PLEASE (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f28-mommy-lounge/241686-emergency-help-please.html)

pattyandthemoos July 1st, 2006 08:49 PM

We have about two feet or more of water in our basement! We got the water shut off but our pump down there is broken! I am freaking out. We just bought a brand new ac and furnace!!! I have to get this water out right away before everything is ruined. I am feeling sick to my stomach. We have home owners insurance if worse comes to worse but I need to get this water out ASAP. UGGH. If anyone is up and has any ideas I would appreciate any advice!

calicocat July 1st, 2006 09:20 PM

I hate to bring this up in the middle of the crisis, but I think that standard homeowner's insurance doesn't cover flooding of any kind. My mother's best friend had her basement get flooded, and their insurance didn't cover anything.

If you don't have a pump, I guess I would get in the yellow pages and try to find someone who can pump the water out that works nights and weekends. Or else I would get some buckets and start bailing. Doesn't this kind of thing always happen on a Saturday night on a holiday weekend? Good luck and maybe someone will have a better idea.

pattyandthemoos July 1st, 2006 10:34 PM

I got my sister to help. She drove to a 24 hour store and purchased a submersible pump and met me halfway to my house. (I live in the middle of nowhereland). She loaned me her shop vac too. So hopefully we can get this pumped out. It was actually probably less than a foot of water. It just looked like a lot when I went in there. We shall see.

OldMom July 2nd, 2006 12:10 AM

Quote:

I got my sister to help. She drove to a 24 hour store and purchased a submersible pump and met me halfway to my house. (I live in the middle of nowhereland). She loaned me her shop vac too. So hopefully we can get this pumped out. It was actually probably less than a foot of water. It just looked like a lot when I went in there. We shall see.[/b]
I'm not sure what homeowner's insurance you have, but ours did. The big issue is mold. You do not want to have mold growing in the walls, flooring or carpet, if you have it. It's at least worth a call to your insurance carrier. Good luck!

pattyandthemoos July 2nd, 2006 06:15 AM

Thank you for your post. I was up till 3:30 in the morning. I just checked it now and there is still a couple inches or more of water in there. But its getting out. I am praying that the AC and furnace still work. UGGH! This is taking too long.

If anything isn't working I will call my home owners insurance up. Its not like there was an actual flood. It was a leaky pipe. I guess I will find out.

asianmama July 2nd, 2006 06:40 AM

my parents old house the wash machine over filled or something and the house was flooded- the home owners insurance payed for the clean up and the hotel stay for-3 weeks. i would just call and see if they can come out to expect the house-make sure there isnt mold or anything.

goodluck

pattyandthemoos July 2nd, 2006 09:42 AM

http://www.dropshots.com/photos/1191...702/092523.jpg

You can see how much water there was. This is from this morning. You can see how much water there was in there. Its gone down a lot but you can see where the water level was if you look at the wall. I am going to see if everything works once it is good and dry. The AC was running while it had all that water in there. I didn't realize that the water pipe was leaking in there. It was probably flowing water in there for several hours

calicocat July 2nd, 2006 07:07 PM

I forgot to check back on this after last night. It is a very good idea to let everything COMPLETELY dry out before turning it back on. Hopefully everything is still working.

Nina July 2nd, 2006 07:51 PM

OMG! That's just awful!! I hope you get it all sorted out soon! Sorry I wasn't on to be of any help. Good luck!!

xxx

Athey July 2nd, 2006 09:04 PM

I think most home owner insurance things cover pipe bursts / leaks. They don't cover flooding if it's from rain or a river or a hurricane or something - lol. Otherwise it *should* be covered.

That's SUCH a big mess. I can see why you'd be really upset over it! I'd feel just terrible if I found a mess like that :wacko: I hope that everything still works!

pattyandthemoos July 4th, 2006 05:42 PM

Everything is dried out for the most part now. It took several hours of pumping but we didn't have much in the basement since we just cleaned it out. Everything is working fine now!!! Yah!! I am sooooo relieved.

*Bry* July 5th, 2006 01:39 PM

Quote:

http://www.dropshots.com/photos/1191...702/092523.jpg

You can see how much water there was. This is from this morning. You can see how much water there was in there. Its gone down a lot but you can see where the water level was if you look at the wall. I am going to see if everything works once it is good and dry. The AC was running while it had all that water in there. I didn't realize that the water pipe was leaking in there. It was probably flowing water in there for several hours[/b]
Patty we got flooded too last weekend or so We had lots of flooding in our basement. Glad you got everything pretty much cleaned up.