JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Mommy Weightloss and Fitness (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f31-mommy-weightloss-and-fitness/)
-   -   Do you have problems with your body image (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f31-mommy-weightloss-and-fitness/2638619-do-you-have-problems-your-body-image.html)

pattyandthemoos March 28th, 2013 10:32 AM

Do you have problems with your body image

Does that ever slow you down or affect your workout?

I think I have a much healthier body image than I used to, but I am almost 40 and I have had 5 kids so my body does have stretch marks, loose skin, cellulite, etc. I have found that my body issues affect my workout sometimes and I really have to tune myself out.

Last week when I was doing pushups in a tank where I could see my stomach hanging down, I looked down at my tummy midway through my pushups and nearly cried. It just upset me because it's still really saggy from that angle. I could barely get through my pushups after that and did less that day than I normally do because I think it mentally just messed me up.

Well this week the same thing happened. I told dh about this. He's pretty supportive about stuff like this. I saw my little belly hanging down looking like an old lady and it rattled me for a second. But then I turned my eyes forward so I couldn't see it, regrouped and focused on the push ups. I did really good and got them all done but it could have messed me up if I let it.

nurselochia March 28th, 2013 11:57 AM

Re: Do you have problems with your body image

I do. I just hate my stomach and I'm frustrated that no matter what I do, I can't seem to get the extra fluff off...and I'm bigger than I was a year ago :( SOmetimes I don't worry so much about it, but if I'm running and catch a glimpse of myself in a window reflection, it bugs me because I look like I'm early pregnant. When I get like that, I just try to remind myself that I've had 4 kids and run 2 marathons.

melissalaw March 28th, 2013 12:06 PM

I hated my body when I was younger but I would read the magazine and expect my body to look like the ladies on the pages of the magazine. Now after having 2 babies I am very happy with my body. Our bodies are amazing and we are so blessed that we are able to carry our children for 9 months and give birth to these amazing little babies.

jhmomofmany March 28th, 2013 04:06 PM

I go back and forth. I really, really try not to be vain or unrealistic about my body. I have to avoid looking too critically in the mirror, especially right now.

Buggymom March 29th, 2013 05:25 AM

I'm over the whole idea of perfection. I always tell myself that those people on tv are fake and that they have the ability to spend all of their time working out. I used to get upset but surprisingly I don't anymore....and I am by no means perfect, lol.