JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Mommy Weightloss and Fitness (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f31-mommy-weightloss-and-fitness/)
-   -   Shoulder Pain (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f31-mommy-weightloss-and-fitness/2641375-shoulder-pain.html)

Jessimaaka April 7th, 2013 03:25 PM

Shoulder Pain

I don't know if this is from exercising or a general injury.

Basically I have shooting pain in my left shoulder/upper arm when I lift it, more so when I lift it up out front (both straight and bent) when compared with to the side (which still hurts but not quite as much). And even more so with something (erm...someONE) in my arms.

So if you touch your shoulder....right at the height of your arm pit, and right about in the middle of your arm...that's where the pain is.

I don't want to go to the doctor if its something that will go away in a few days of rest, but it is SUPER hard to pick up Cam (he's almost 8 months, about 20lbs), and he's up every 2-3 hours at night to nurse, and I can barely pick him up out of the crib and arrange him to nurse. I don't want to aggravate it further. It started this afternoon. I was planning to do my workout this evening, so I hadn't done anything vigorous today other than grocery shopping and picking up Cam.

Has anyone had any similar type of injury and have any advice? If nothing improves by Wednesday morning, I plan to call the doctor.

babyloves2dance April 7th, 2013 03:41 PM

Re: Shoulder Pain

(((HUGS))) So sorry your arm is hurting so bad! Sounds like it might be the muscle that you work when you do front raises? You could try icing it off an on throughout the day if it is the muscle. Where it is below the shoulder joint it could possibly be a pinched nerve. I hope that the pain goes away soon. If it doesn't then I'd definitely go have it checked out!

2pinks&ablue April 7th, 2013 04:23 PM

I don't know what it would be, but I hope it heals soon!

melissalaw April 8th, 2013 05:31 AM

I'm so sorry. I've never really had any shoulder pain but I would say to definitely go to the dr if it doesn't start feeling better soon. you don't want to make it any worse. Please let us know how you are doing.

pattyandthemoos April 8th, 2013 07:05 AM

I have had issues with different pains since I started strength training. I get a pain in my elbow and can feel it popping every time I do certain exercises. It started about a month into strength training and I never figured out if it was from an injury (I also fell around this time so I may have injured it) or if it was from working out. I started taking glucosamine and I think it has helped some but I don't know if it would help with what you are describing.

I've also had issues in the past with a pinched nerve so I think that could be what's going on as well. When I had a pinched nerve I had numbness and tingling in my fingers.

I also had pain just above my knee the other day and it was like a spasm almost and fairly painful. I looked that one up and I think it was from overuse. It went away.

If it were me, I would probably wait a few days to see if it goes away on it's own before making an appt with your doctor. I might just try ice or ibuprofen to see if that helps.

Jessimaaka April 8th, 2013 07:42 AM

I iced it last night and did some stretches, and today it feels a lot better. Not 100% for sure, but I did 30DS without significant issues this morning. It was so weird yesterday and I couldn't pin point when it started hurting, and it got progressively worse throughout the afternoon.

Thanks for the concern and advice ladies!! Hope it was just a one off thing!

melissalaw April 8th, 2013 12:34 PM

Hope it keeps getting better!!

babyloves2dance April 8th, 2013 01:15 PM

Glad to hear it was feeling better today! I hope it was just a 1 day thing and that you don't have any more problems with it!