JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Mommy Weightloss and Fitness (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f31-mommy-weightloss-and-fitness/)
-   -   Fly by posting..... best traveling snacks.... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f31-mommy-weightloss-and-fitness/2650063-fly-posting-best-traveling-snacks.html)

plan4fate May 12th, 2013 07:41 PM

Fly by posting..... best traveling snacks....

My hubby is far away working, I'm driving down on Friday to see him. Since getting back on my thyroid meds I've been steadily losing weight (dh not around to wreck my diet helps a lot too)... and these trips are usually a good way to set myself back. Take out is our only food option while I'm there (DH lives in a hotel with only a microwave and tiny fridge), so I'd like to avoid an abundance of it while I'm driving (in total I'll be in the car about 20 hours).

I usually eat beef jerky because it does a good job of keeping me feeling full.. but I've been very careful with my Sodium intake.. and beef jerky isn't exactly low sodium.

I was thinking I'd get some cherry tomatoes... but other than that I'm drawing a blank. If you ladies had to drive 8-10 hours and had no cooler.. what would you pack? String cheese? Nuts? (if so, which kind is best?) apple slices?

I usually don't care about this when I travel, I figure vacation is vacation I'll enjoy myself... but watching that scale go down a few numbers every week really makes me want to NOT cheat. Especially since I'm likely to not get in much exercise while I'm there.

I will be going for dinner almost as soon as I get there, I'd just rather not hit up a dollar menu on the way.

Thanks ladies!

*edited* I pulled down our small cooler and opened it.. DH didn't put it away properly and it's full of mold. I'm asthmatic AND allergic, I'm not cleaning it. Not to mention the "ice" i'd planned on using were reusable ice cubes, the kind I'd put in a drink at home. I'm not putting those in a cooler that's had mold in it... the ick factor is just too high. I don't know if I'll go buy a new one or use a slightly insulated lunch bag. I could put more ice packs in the lunch bag, but they're not likely to be frozen still when I get to my destination.

pattyandthemoos May 13th, 2013 07:41 AM

Re: Fly by posting..... best traveling snacks....

Gosh I don't know. We usually just get snacks but then stop for actual meals. I've tried to do the packing food thing but it's never worked out for me. Maybe you could get some of those tuna fish kits that have everything in them and make tuna and crackers (if you like that). Or you could get some pita shells or some type of wraps and then bring cheeses and meats to put in them. If you needed everything cold you could freeze a ziplock bag with water or use one of those freezer packs and just keep it in a plastic bag with all the cold stuff. Sorry if that wasn't very helpful.

babyloves2dance May 13th, 2013 08:29 AM

If I plan snacks for longer trips, I will usually pack some apples, pretzel rods, popped (unbuttered) popcorn, or trail mix. I also make sure to pack a couple bottles of water as I try to drink some water before giving in to eating a snack (sometimes I can mistake just being thirsty for being hungry).

momie2b9-20-11 May 13th, 2013 01:07 PM

String cheese is what I usually pack. And, though they need to stay cold, they can be out of the fridge several hours before they even start to go bad. And, you can freeze several before leaving and then they stay colder longer but don't take that long to un-thaw. And, when going on a trip I like to pack cut up lettuce in several small containers and then pack raisins, low-sodium lunch meat and some graded cheese in a little ziplock bags and whatever type of dressing you use for salad (tomatoes, and cut up hard-boiled egg is also good on salad or even by itself for a snack). Then for a quick meal throw it all together and you have a salad!

Unsalted almonds and unsalted cashews is also usually a good healthier snack.

Jessimaaka May 13th, 2013 03:32 PM

Congrats on the weightloss! Its a wonderful feeling :)

I second the nuts and small things like that to snack on - easier to eat while driving!

I also posted this recipe in the subforum - I can have 2 of these and eat nothing else all afternoon. Each one is about 100 calories.
http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2...rgy-bites.html

I also would consider veggies and dip, but I usually buy hummus or greek yogurt dip instead of your typical ranch as it still gives you flavour but less calories and a bit higher protein (keeps you feeling fuller longer). A favourite lunch of mine is carrots, celery, cucumber all dipped in either hummus or greek yogurt, and then 10 almonds (unsalted), some cheese, and half of a toasted whole wheat pita that I also dip into the hummus or greek yogurt dip (its almost like chips and dip!). Depending on what time you leave, I would recommend that lunch on way down, it is just under 300 calories, but it is seriously delicious and I always feel full after it.

Hope you have a nice visit :)

plan4fate May 13th, 2013 09:24 PM

Thanks ladies!

I probably should have specified that I need to be able to drive while I eat it. LOL. It's a 7-10 hour drive... that's with stops and traffic (I will be driving through both Milwaukee and Chicago lol). Stopping to eat just makes the day too long for me. I'm a sleepy driver as it is :(

I'm def going to pick up some string cheese. I wonder if freezing them will change the texture? I do have an insulated lunch bag to take with me that I will put cold packs in. It's not very big, but it will handle some cheese sticks no problem.

I'll be taking plenty of water. I'm hoping since I'm driving during the day I won't get as sleepy and won't be hitting Starbucks for a Frappe with 3 espresso shots. I've been trying to avoid artificial sweeteners, but I'd rather drink a boat load of Mio Energy than a Frappe.

I actually have Almonds, I didn't think I had any left that weren't honey roasted (bad me, I know :( ). They are lightly salted with seat salt, 1/4 cups of Almonds has 60mg Sodium, much better than Jerky!

Someone from my TTC board recommended cuties. So I think that I'll take a container of tomatoes, a container of peeled cuties, a handful of string cheeses, the almonds and a few Special K bars for some naughty sweetness (I have an abundance of Special K products, but I eat them sparingly. They make very nice 90 calorie treats that actually curb my desire to binge on chocolate.). And I should be able to buy most of it again on Sunday night (and I can take unpeeled cuties with me) to eat on the way home.

Jess I might make those bites too. I have all the ingredients except coconut and oatmeal already and I've been looking for good ways to sneak flax into my diet. I just had it on baked chicken.. nom! I think I might pick up some dried cranberries (or cherries if I can find a decent price on them) to go in them, and use dark chocolate :)

I'm going to have to hit the pool more often and walk the dogs with hubby's ex and my step son (yes, that sounds weird, but I'm actually friends with DH's ex... I think the best exercise I've ever done in my LIFE was walking her 70lb dog. It took me 4 days to recover from a 3.33 mile walk.. everything hurt because EVERYTHING got used. He's not used to a leash, so he'd pull, and I'd pull back. Arms, lower abs, legs.. everything complained) just to make up for this weekend!!!! I'm hoping to see 220 on the scale by Friday, since my goal was 222 by the 22nd of May.. so I won't feel bad if I go back up a few lbs then hit my goal again.

Jessimaaka May 14th, 2013 06:09 AM

Sounds like you have a great plan!

And yay for walking the dog! My sister walks with me, my son and our dog and she always wants to walk our 87lb dog because it works out her arms and core :lol:

momie2b9-20-11 May 14th, 2013 10:06 AM

That's wonderful you seem to have a plan in place.

String cheese doesn't really change texture (at least for me) after it's been frozen. DH works in food service delivery and they freeze string cheese all the time. He often brings several home and they take about 30 mins to unthaw and not different tasting at all.

plan4fate May 14th, 2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessimaaka (Post 27362584)
Sounds like you have a great plan!

And yay for walking the dog! My sister walks with me, my son and our dog and she always wants to walk our 87lb dog because it works out her arms and core :lol:

Yeah they have two dogs, a shepherd cross (my guess would be Rottweiler) and a lab/pit bull cross. I walk the bigger dog because he doesn't lunge, and he weighs in at over 70lbs. She works as a personal care worker, so has some arm strength, she gets the dog that likes to try and rush off, cause Ginger would just pull me face first onto the pavement. lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by momie2b9-20-11 (Post 27363304)
That's wonderful you seem to have a plan in place.

String cheese doesn't really change texture (at least for me) after it's been frozen. DH works in food service delivery and they freeze string cheese all the time. He often brings several home and they take about 30 mins to unthaw and not different tasting at all.

Awesome!! Thanks hun. :)