JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Mommy Weightloss and Fitness (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f31-mommy-weightloss-and-fitness/)
-   -   How fit/active were/are your parents? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f31-mommy-weightloss-and-fitness/2659877-how-fit-active-were-your-parents.html)

pattyandthemoos June 19th, 2013 01:59 PM

How fit/active were/are your parents?

Were your parents physically fit? How about now?

My dad has always been a couch potato and my step mom but my mom has always been fairly active. She was in the Navy for a good chunk of her life and now that she is out she still stays pretty fit. She does a lot of things like riding her bike and stuff like that, not videos or working out at home. I think she set a pretty good example for us. Although I didn't really do much myself until recently.

*Kiliki* June 19th, 2013 02:38 PM

Re: How fit/active were/are your parents?

not very fit/active...my mom recently has started becoming more fit/active...my dad on the other hand...I really wish he would... :(

ThaiSpice June 19th, 2013 03:49 PM

My dad was mostly a couch potato, other than golf. My mom was fairly fit for the most part when I was growing up. She walked 3 miles every day, rode her bike, did aerobics at home, rode stationary bike, did WW. And later on she did aerobics, water aerobics, and various other things at the gym. Now she's not nearly as active, but she still walks a mile most days, unless the weather is bad.

Jessimaaka June 19th, 2013 04:35 PM

My dad not really. He was entered into a Biggest Loser radio contest, lost 73lbs, won a lifetime gym membership and hasn't used it. He also needed hernia surgery shortly after the finish of the contest and never really got back into it.

My mom does a workout video almost every day and walks 5km several times a week. She swims on Mondays. Very active and it shows, she looks at least 10 years younger than she is.

2pinks&ablue June 20th, 2013 03:26 AM

My Dad always played on a hockey team when I was growing up (until 5 or so years ago), and he also has a physically demanding job. My Mom goes through spurts. Neither of them are really couch potatoes but neither are super active either.

HeatherLopez June 20th, 2013 07:03 AM

My mom has always been tiny (unhealthy tiny) I wouldn't call her fit, though. She doesn't eat enough.

My dad used to work out a lot. He was really buff for a while. Now he isn't as buff, but he is in shape.

I love my parents but I definitely feel that growing up with them the way they are/were was detrimental. When I saw my mom starving herself, I picked up on that, and figured that's how you get skinny. Seeing my dad work out and be determined should have been a good thing, but he was pretty obsessed with looks. My weight fluctuated up and down in my adolescence (hormones) and my dad always made sure to point out that I was getting fat. Thus I developed an unhealthy relationship with exercise. I used to work out so hard every single day that I would either throw up or feel like I was going to pass out.

pattyandthemoos June 20th, 2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherLopez (Post 27462509)
My mom has always been tiny (unhealthy tiny) I wouldn't call her fit, though. She doesn't eat enough.

My dad used to work out a lot. He was really buff for a while. Now he isn't as buff, but he is in shape.

I love my parents but I definitely feel that growing up with them the way they are/were was detrimental. When I saw my mom starving herself, I picked up on that, and figured that's how you get skinny. Seeing my dad work out and be determined should have been a good thing, but he was pretty obsessed with looks. My weight fluctuated up and down in my adolescence (hormones) and my dad always made sure to point out that I was getting fat. Thus I developed an unhealthy relationship with exercise. I used to work out so hard every single day that I would either throw up or feel like I was going to pass out.

You know I've read some studies that said dad's have a big influence on eating disorders. Apparently, dads have a lot to do with girls body image and have more of an affect on girls picking up an eating disorder than moms. I can't remember when/where I read this but it makes sense.

HeatherLopez June 20th, 2013 09:23 AM

Patty that is really interesting! Funny thing is, my dad just recently talked about how "oh I'm sorry, sometimes I say mean things as a way to motivate you." "Look, I made comments that you had gained weight, and then you lost it." "It worked."

....yeah because it was that easy. I was 14 years old and I hated myself. I felt so fat and gross, and he confirmed the bad things I thought about myself. I didn't lose weight because HE motivated me. He just made my depression worse.

Sneetch June 20th, 2013 03:01 PM

My dad has always been active and a healthy weight. He has several exercise machines at home that he uses every day, and he used to play basketball. My mom was not very active when I was growing up (except in spurts), but she is now. She walks and rides her bike all the time.