JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Mommy Weightloss and Fitness (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f31-mommy-weightloss-and-fitness/)
-   -   So insulted! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f31-mommy-weightloss-and-fitness/2669578-so-insulted.html)

meld10 August 1st, 2013 03:34 PM

So insulted!

I just came back from my week 3 day 1 C25K run and as I was arriving to my home, my next door neighbor's father was going out to his car. He is an older tchek gentlemen who is very talkative. Now I don't know him all that well cause firstly he only visits his son once in a while and secondly, I have only been in this home since March.

He first says hello and then ''nice you are doing some running, how is your eating with that?'' I just sort of jokingly said I eat as I want or something like that just to keep it short and stay friendly. He then said ''As I see it, you need to lose about 18 pounds, you should go on a vegetable diet''. I was... I have no word... I guess I was flabbergasted! :confused:!!! I simply laughed, kept my smile and said well that is quite more than I am aiming and said goodbye and went home.

I am honestly insulted and well quite mad, this was already not such a great day to start with. Not only was he out of line but I really doubt that I need to lose 18 lbs. I am 5'5, I currently weigh 144lbs and am aiming to lose about 7 pounds as I normally stay around 137lbs when I am healthy and toned.

I'm trying to not let it get me down as I know this man was completely out of line and... honestly who does that, but it's still quite of a downer :(.

Aenyx August 1st, 2013 03:43 PM

Re: So insulted!

People can be so rude! Plus men are usually terrible judges of weight and stuff.

And idk how you're built but I'm 5'5" and if I weighed 126lbs I would look awful and in dire need of a cheeseburger lol. So don't stress about it, if you look/feel healthy at 137 then stay at 137.

:hugs: Don't let him get to you! He's just a nosy old man sticking his opinion where it isn't needed.

shoppermom August 1st, 2013 04:18 PM

^^^ Totally agree. Don't let it get to you. He is no expert, and you know where you feel comfortable at. You know your body better than he does. I would've been insulted too---weight is a touchy subject. People should not put their nose in where it doesn't belong, especially if it isn't asked:mad:.

Lucy S. August 1st, 2013 05:54 PM

OMG how horrible!!! I am SO Sorry!!
From the sounds of it you obviously are fit (or getting there) and does he want you model thin?? :eek:

Jessimaaka August 1st, 2013 07:04 PM

Wow! Talk about forward!

145 is my 2nd goal weight and I'm about 5'4.5...and when I see pictures from when I was 125lbs...I look sick. That's on the very low end for your height.

Keep doing what you're doing and ignore him. At least he doesn't live there and you don't have to see him often!

*Kiliki* August 1st, 2013 08:17 PM

omg how rude!!!!

pattyandthemoos August 2nd, 2013 06:20 AM

Wow! How rude! Honestly, I have a bad temper and I tend to just blurt when I am angry. He might have heard God knows what. I am not always nice.

plan4fate August 2nd, 2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pattyandthemoos (Post 27559633)
Wow! How rude! Honestly, I have a bad temper and I tend to just blurt when I am angry. He might have heard God knows what. I am not always nice.

that's exactly what I was thinking Patty.... you never know what I would have come back at him with!!

I'm sorry he was a jerk to you sweetie.

meld10 August 2nd, 2013 10:19 AM

Thanks ladies! I still can't believe he said that. Man if I were 125-ish I think people would be stopping on the street and giving me food to eat (which would be just as rude as that guy :p). And even if I had 18 pounds to lose, I wouldn't want anybody to be telling me that off the street.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pattyandthemoos (Post 27559633)

Well said! When my BF arrived home later and I told him what happened, he gave me an earful because I did not tell the guy that he was rude and to mind his own busyness (he gave me examples that had quite stronger wording than what I am sharing here though :rolleyes:). I'm just too polite with strangers no matter what they say to me, I sometimes wish I could be meaner and set some limits.

At the same time I might have to see him again often (he apparently visits his son almost every day of the week) so at least it won't be too ackward when I see him but now I definitely know to keep it to a small wave or nod and that's it, no need for more small talk with that rude guy. Luckily his son is super polite and friendly, guess he had a good example of how NOT to speak to neighbors and strangers.

pattyandthemoos August 2nd, 2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meld10 (Post 27560289)
Thanks ladies! I still can't believe he said that. Man if I were 125-ish I think people would be stopping on the street and giving me food to eat (which would be just as rude as that guy :p). And even if I had 18 pounds to lose, I wouldn't want anybody to be telling me that off the street.

Well said! When my BF arrived home later and I told him what happened, he gave me an earful because I did not tell the guy that he was rude and to mind his own busyness (he gave me examples that had quite stronger wording than what I am sharing here though :rolleyes:). I'm just too polite with strangers no matter what they say to me, I sometimes wish I could be meaner and set some limits.

At the same time I might have to see him again often (he apparently visits his son almost every day of the week) so at least it won't be too ackward when I see him but now I definitely know to keep it to a small wave or nod and that's it, no need for more small talk with that rude guy. Luckily his son is super polite and friendly, guess he had a good example of how NOT to speak to neighbors and strangers.

Yeh all my kids heard me tell some annoying lady at the grocery store to "mind her own <insert bad word here> business". I called my dad all upset about it and he said it was great that I was teaching my kids to stand up for themselves. I tend to flip out and not think when people make me mad. I think I would be stewing over this for a while if it were me. LOL.

HeatherLopez August 2nd, 2013 03:58 PM

that's so rude. Sounds like my dad! He says things like that all the time and he thinks he is being helpful, but that is soooooooooo rude and not at all helpful. Jerk.

momie2b9-20-11 August 3rd, 2013 11:57 PM

HUGS!! I'm sorry! You are doing a great job and try and not let others ruin it for you. That's just down right rude of him

nurselochia August 5th, 2013 05:26 AM

What a jerk. I'm with Patty, I probably would have said something sarcastic and not very nice.

2pinks&ablue August 5th, 2013 10:28 AM

Wow, how rude! I would have given him a piece of my mind!