JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Mommy Weightloss and Fitness (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f31-mommy-weightloss-and-fitness/)
-   -   Kinda personal, does money ever interfere with your healthy eating goals? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f31-mommy-weightloss-and-fitness/2674159-kinda-personal-does-money-ever-interfere-your-healthy-eating-goals.html)

pattyandthemoos August 22nd, 2013 11:37 AM

Kinda personal, does money ever interfere with your healthy eating goals?

I don't know about you guys, but eating healthy costs more than just eating whatever. Buying produce adds to your bill, eating leaner meats adds to your bill, etc. I have five kids and they can eat all the food I buy for a week in one day flat! So I do find that sometimes I end up eating less healthy than I'd like - peanut butter sandwiches, or things like that because that's what we have to eat. Usually we can eat well for a few days but the the groceries start running low. I'd like to start couponing again and really watching the sales to try to help with this but this takes organization and I just don't quite have it together right now. LOL.

Anyway, how about you guys? Do you find eating healthier costs you more? Any things you do to help lower the cost?

*Kiliki* August 22nd, 2013 11:46 AM

Re: Kinda personal, does money ever interfere with your healthy eating goals?

I try to shop the sales and stuff and it does get expensive...but I buy the healthy stuff anyways....cause its better and I found that now that I am in this freezer mom group...I spend way less money....for 4 families of 4 or more people when I shop for these meals (they are not overly unhealthy meals either) I spend probably 300 dollars and we make each 4 dinners and a breakfast so that is 16 dinners and 4 breakfasts in total for 300 dollars....not too shabby....so it not only cuts the cost of my grocery bill....it keeps me from having to cook every night when I can just throw something in the oven or crock pot LOL

melissalaw August 22nd, 2013 11:50 AM

I always coupon and shop the sales. I will look at the sale adds before I make our grocery list for the week and try to use the meats that are on sale for that week. It is costly to eat healthy though. Right now both my boys are still young so don't eat that much. I can only imagine how much it will cost to feed them healthy meals when they are teenagers.

I also meal plan for the week before I buy groceries so I have the entire week of meals planned out and I only buy what is on my list atleast when I'm not pregnant I do that..lol.

MidgeMadge August 22nd, 2013 11:54 AM

Eating healthy foods definitely has cost us more. I would say my grocery budget has gone up maybe $20-30 just in a week, so $80-$120 a month. Up for SURE. Not only have I added more veggies and fruits, which cost more... but I really watch what products I get. I still eat chips in moderation, but I get chips without added crap and just 3 ingredients. These cost $3.99 vs the $1.50 for the chips I used to get. Natural ketchup is $1 more. (without HFCS).. stuff like that has added up.

Thankfully, it's not an issue though. We just budget for the added cost, and have decided it's worth it. We pay less in doctor bills when we do this ;)

We also have just one child, so things in general cost us less.

Jessimaaka August 22nd, 2013 12:13 PM

It does when I forgot I bought it and it goes bad! But it actually helps us since I don't want to throw out food so we're less likely to grab something fast-food for dinner, which is good. Especially with having Cam eat food now too.

plan4fate August 22nd, 2013 01:29 PM

Not for us no. We do well with finances, and I'm a good shopper. But only I eat a lot of produce so it's not too bad. :)

Aenyx August 22nd, 2013 03:24 PM

It does cost us a bit more. I try to shop the sales and buy what I can in bulk. (Costco is my friend). I'll buy big things of meat and section it out and freeze it. Stuff like that.

momie2b9-20-11 August 23rd, 2013 02:16 PM

YES! We are Very tight on money currently and find it very hard to buy healthy foods. Boxed mac-n-cheese (which DH and Kynslee both love) with hot dogs is tons cheaper for us to budget than any actual meats and such. But, I'm trying my hardest to eat healthy on a budget. We only have $80 max a month for food so it's very hard. I don't like letting others know this but we sometimes will go to the food bank to try and get food to help provide meals. I only shop the sales and then add coupons to it. And, with meats I mainly try and buy the clearance meats (the ones that are about to expire) and then plan my meals around those. They still taste just as good and you can still freeze them for a bit. Healthy casseroles are a great way for us to go as they usually last longer for us and I can stretch meat out with them.

2pinks&ablue August 24th, 2013 08:16 AM

It does cost a bit more, but I don't think it's as much more expensive as some people think, or at least it doesn't have to be. I buy in bulk, coupon, and buy in season. Then I freeze what we won't use, or make freezer meals. And things like chicken/turkey- if I buy a full chicken/turkey, it costs us a bit more in the beginning but we can eat off of it for 3-4 days and still have leftovers!

jhmomofmany August 24th, 2013 09:17 AM

Our food bill is way higher every month than our mortgage payment. I am serious. Food is expensive up here, not a lot of stores to chose from, and I have nearly a dozen mouths to feed. We are on assistance, and I hate it, but I'd hate starving even more. So, I try to be careful.

Where do ya'll look for coupons that you can actually save money that way? The coupons they put in the papers here are a joke... save 25cents on three boxes of sugary cereal or processed dinner kits? It's way cheaper to not use the coupon and go with homemade alternatives to these foods, IMO.

Gamer_Princess August 26th, 2013 10:47 PM

I coupon shop like whoa but then again I have spent more money on eating out and crap I did not need for the house or myself and never felt too horrible in doing it. I think it is a matter or priority to the individual :) If you ever feel bad for how much you are spending on healthy food. Go back a year in your bank account and see exactly how much was spent on worthless things like fastfood or luxury items ;) It will make you feel a bit better about the extra funds going to the health of your family :D Those things add up. Since I have started coupon shopping I saved well over 1200.00 last year on groceries and household items :) One of my favorite places to get coupons is: Food, Baby & Grocery Store Coupons | Insert Coupons | Coupon Dede's

You can purchase the coupons you are going to use rather than simply clipping and buying because you can only find certain ones. Realistically we do well with our finances as well but coupon shopping allows DH and I to save money for things we really want like vacations and such. I hope this link helps a bit :)