JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Mommy Weightloss and Fitness (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f31-mommy-weightloss-and-fitness/)
-   -   Going Dairy Free (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f31-mommy-weightloss-and-fitness/2675451-going-dairy-free.html)

jhmomofmany August 29th, 2013 10:35 AM

Going Dairy Free

John is constantly having green poops, and from what I've read dairy in my diet is the most likely culprit. I think I have to eliminate dairy for at least three weeks to know if it makes any difference.

Anybody here dairy-free? Any tips for me? Most importantly, any recommended ice cream alternatives??

Now that I'm reading labels, I'm realizing dairy is in EVERYTHING.

pattyandthemoos August 29th, 2013 11:46 AM

Re: Going Dairy Free

Shawn had the exact same problem! He had this horrible diaper rash that I couldn't get to go away. If John is getting diaper rash from the green stools I would recommend probiotics. My doc had me mix half a capsule with breast milk.

Anyway, I went dairy free for a long time. I don't remember when I added it back but it took a few tries before I was able to. Every time I would add it back the green stools would come back. There's a lot of good substitutes out there. I really like the So Delicious coconut milk icecream. It's really good!

*Kiliki* August 29th, 2013 12:23 PM

what about having sherbert in place of icecream?

I do consume some dairy...but not a lot as it upsets my stomach...but I really don't try to cut it out of things...cause soy milk or almond milk...I just do not like in my food when I cook....I've tried them both...and I guess it just seems "off" to me LOL

ThaiSpice August 29th, 2013 12:41 PM

I don't have any good dairy free tips--I like almond milk ok, but I don't love it. Ice cream would be tough to give up, but it sounds like there are at least some other options out there.

I remember Grace having green poops as a baby. In her case, though, it was a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance situation, and when I started block feeding her, the green poop and discomfort went away. I'm glad, because giving up dairy would be a pain!

Anyway, good luck to you!

pattyandthemoos August 29th, 2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaiSpice (Post 27619769)
I don't have any good dairy free tips--I like almond milk ok, but I don't love it. Ice cream would be tough to give up, but it sounds like there are at least some other options out there.

I remember Grace having green poops as a baby. In her case, though, it was a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance situation, and when I started block feeding her, the green poop and discomfort went away. I'm glad, because giving up dairy would be a pain!

Anyway, good luck to you!

I did the block feeding too but ultimately ended up going dairy free. Shawn was a sensitive baby.

jhmomofmany August 29th, 2013 04:16 PM

Until just last week John was getting my milk in bottles only because he wouldn't latch.. then all of a sudden he decided to start nursing (happy dance)! But he had green poop when he was getting the bottles, so I'm pretty sure that eliminates the possibility of a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance as a cause.

Neither DH nor I have any food allergies, and none of the other kids did either. John isn't rashy, but I will watch out for that. He also isn't really fussy, no symptoms at all other than the green poop.

Anyway, I will try this and see how it goes. I like almond milk ok but only ever used it to mix my whey protein smoothies... obviously will be avoiding those. I don't like using a lot of soy. Naturally, the very day I decide I need to do this, I'm wanting pizza so bad it ain't funny.

Jessimaaka August 29th, 2013 04:58 PM

Good luck! I immediately thought fore/hind milk imbalance as well. I didn't do completely dairy free with Cam but for a few months, the only milk I had was a small dash in my coffee, no yogurt, cheese, etc.

You may want to check out Kellymom.com...tons of info on there for things to try and timelines of how long things take to get out of yours and then John's system.