JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f77-moms-and-expectant-moms-multiples/)
-   -   A question for the BTDT moms..... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f77-moms-and-expectant-moms-multiples/2313896-question-for-btdt-moms.html)

mommabirdof4 April 27th, 2011 02:49 PM

A question for the BTDT moms.....

If you exclusively formula feed your LO's what was your routine like (ie. did you premix formula in a pitcher, pre-fill bottles)? What routine did you have for night time feedings? Any other info you would share with a soon to be MoMs would be great!

nateandjenny April 27th, 2011 06:40 PM

Re: A question for the BTDT moms.....

I will answer prob tomorrow. Soooo tired today.

Just_Marie April 27th, 2011 09:41 PM

I mixed 24 hours' worth at a time, filled the bottles I had available (33-8 ounce bottles) and left the rest in a closed jug in the fridge.
I had a two storey and we had a bar fridge in the media room where the boppies and swings were kept up there, and put the night's worth in that fridge. I only fed my kids room temp formula, so I'd feed, then pull out two bottles for the next feed and they'd have three hours to warm up. I always used new bottles and nipples for all feeds, and set my d/w to sterilize mode, and used bottles and nips straight out of the d/w--no boiling or microwaving here, def no time for that.
I was thrilled when they hit 9 months adjusted and were big enough to switch to whole milk on my pedi's advice, we seriously did a little happy dance

Celry April 28th, 2011 04:35 AM

We didn't FF, but I can't imagine making individual bottles every time you need them. We did feed BM in bottles at night for a few months and we fed it to them at room temp. I think that's one of the best things you can do because then you dont' have to worry about warming up a bottle when you're out.

tgc219 April 28th, 2011 07:16 AM

We pre-made individual bottles for the night time feedings. Better than getting up, going downstairs to make bottles, and then back upstairs to feed! I think we made 6 to 8 4oz bottles and that got us through the night. We put all of the pre-made bottles on the dresser in the nursery. Didn't keep them in the fridge.

mommabirdof4 April 28th, 2011 08:56 AM

So another question...what bottles did you use?

nateandjenny April 28th, 2011 09:01 AM

In the begining we made formula up in a pitcher and warmed it up in a crock pot (which we are about to through away if you want to try it out. it's a mini crock pot). It takes very little time to warm the bottles up. we warmed them up before each feed because it was normally 3 hours until the next feed and it says on the container only to leave out for 2 hour before throwing away. We used the water out of our reverse osmosis filter and it comes out cool. Now we just boil the kettle and do 1 oz boiling water and 3 oz cool water and mix. When we go out we fill them 1/2 boiling and 1/2 cool.

Jara April 28th, 2011 09:03 AM

I mixed as I used the bottles.. didn't pre mix.. but at night I had my formula and bottles pre measured, so then when it was time to feed I just mixed the formula with water.

Rae-of-Sunshine April 28th, 2011 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommabirdof2.5 (Post 23760690)
So another question...what bottles did you use?

I am curious what bottles everyone liked also. I plan to breastfeed, but will pump also so DH can help feed, especially once I have to go back to work. What bottles worked well for you? There are so many different ones to pick from.

tgc219 April 28th, 2011 10:48 AM

Our dr recommended Dr. Browns bottles because they reduce the amount of air the baby takes in. Our babies were gassy so we just stuck with these and had no problems!

Celry April 28th, 2011 12:05 PM

We used First Years breastflow when they would take a bottle. In the beginning though we used the disposable nipples from the hospital over the tiny Medela pump bottles. We needed a nipple that was easier to suck out of since they were so bad at eating. Once they mastered that, we tried a bunch of different ones and they liked the first years ones. Each kid seems to be different as to their preference if they are BF and taking a bottle. You might have to try a few.

angeleyes04 April 28th, 2011 03:51 PM

I exclusively pump and we just give the girls straight breast milk right from the fridge. They have always taken it cold so we just leave it at that. It saves us time and energy since we don't have to warm it. As far as bottles are concerned, we use Playtex Drop-Ins because there are less parts to wash. The only downside is you have to keep buying liners but we found that the Target brand works pretty good and it is way cheaper. The only thing I don't like about them is that it is hard to get an accurate measurement so we use our Medela bottles to measure the milk before we pour it in. We also get bottles ready first thing in the morning so we can just grab it from the fridge when it is time to eat.

As far as nighttime feedings go we have always fed both babies at the same time (day or night). So if one is sleeping, and the other wakes up, we wake the sleeping one to feed her too. We tried to "play it by ear" one night and just feed on demand and we were up every hour. So that didn't work well for us. Now they are both on pretty much the same sleep/feeding schedules so it makes things much easier. So definitely try to feed both at the same time. It will save your sanity.

nateandjenny April 28th, 2011 06:55 PM

dr browns here. we love them.

babybatax2 April 29th, 2011 12:35 PM

WE pre-mixed our formula. The girl's were on preemie formula, but different calorie strengths.

So I would make Rylan's then fill her evenflo bottles, then Dakota's and fill her dr. brown's bottles. We just threw them in the microwave to heat.