JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f77-moms-and-expectant-moms-multiples/)
-   -   Excited to be expecting twins!!!! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f77-moms-and-expectant-moms-multiples/2534760-excited-to-expecting-twins.html)

MitchL28 June 3rd, 2012 11:16 AM

Excited to be expecting twins!!!!

Hi girls,
I wanted to take a second to introduce myself since I have been nervously stalking your board for the last week. :) My husband and I got the surprise of a lifetime last week when we went for our first ultrasound. We are expecting TWINS, due December 22nd, although the doctor said it is unlikely that I will carry to term. I am 30 years old and live in southern NH. These babes are our first!

I would really appreciate any and all advice you guys have. May I start with a general question?

What is the one baby product you can not imagine living without???

What is the one baby product you could have totally skipped?

XOXOXO
Amy

MIL2lissy8 June 3rd, 2012 03:59 PM

Re: Excited to be expecting twins!!!!

hi amy,
my DIL had twin boys for her first pregnancy. they were living here with us so i experienced it with her. i will ask her what she would answer to this question.

you probably will deliver a few weeks early, although not all the girls here did. i wish you Godspeed on this journey -- its a challenge but it is the most awesome blessing as well. BTW, her boys are 2.5 now and ptty=training.

~~terre

Rae-of-Sunshine June 3rd, 2012 06:48 PM

Congratulations Amy! I remember what a surprise that was for us also. DH and I would just look at each other for months and go "Twins!" They were our first also, and I can't believe they are over a year old right now. Welcome to the group :) The ladies here answered so many of my questions, and I am sure they/we will do the same for you. To answer the ones you started with:

What is the one baby product you can not imagine living without??? There are a lot, but from about 4 months until maybe 9-10 months when they outgrew them, our bumbo's were invaluable. I could never have started/fed solids to two babies who were not sitting on their own yet without them. They loved sitting in them, and I loved that they could sit up to eat (since many of the highchairs seem to recline them back at that age). Oh, ok, I can't stop at one. I have two more to give you:

If you are planning on bfing a twin nursing pillow was a HUGE help to me when they were small in positioning them and dealing with both at once. Considering I felt permanently attached to my couch until they were about 6-7 weeks old, this was a great addition. There are several kinds out there, but I have and love the Twins Plus Pillow from My Brest Friend breastfeeding twins with my breast friend twins plus pillow (you can often find a used one in your local twins club ... or if not Target sells them online, so you can register for one). I still use it when I snuggle them both before bed, though they have just about outgrown it at a year.

If you are planning to bottle feed or end up doing a combination (like us, b/c I went back to work at 9 weeks, and DH is a SAHD, but obviously doesn't have the right equipment to bf). The bebe bottle sling is AMAZING. We got them when the kids were around 3 1/2 months and DH used them for bottles during the day. At that age, he would still have to help them get the bottle back in their mouth if they took a break and pushed the nipple out of their mouth, but it was much less tiring on him than holding both bottles (they were SLOW eaters). By around 5 months, they had learned to push the nipple back in their mouth when they wanted it. They were also great for feeding on the go if you were out in a store and they were getting fussy. It depends on how you plan to feed them, but if you end up bottle feeding at all, something to keep in mind... Baby Bottle Holders | Teach to Hold Baby Bottle

What is the one baby product you could have totally skipped? For us it was the bouncer. I know a lot of moms swear by them. We only had one, and neither of our kids like it. Luckily we bought it used, and it came as a set with a swing (which we did use a ton), so I don't feel bad about buying it.

Congrats again!
Marjorie

MitchL28 June 4th, 2012 08:31 AM

Marjorie!
Thank you so much for all of your input, I LOVE and appreciate all advice. I have heard a lot about the Twin My Brest Friend and I plan on registering for one. Your Bumbo advice is interesting as I have been debating what items I need two of versus one. For example, two swings or one? Two bouncers or one? Two highchairs or one? HAHAHAHAH The list goes on. :) To be honest when I first found out I was expecting twins I even asked myself, two cribs or one? After doing some research it seems that both babies need their own crib. Looks like I will be registering for two bumbos, I think they are so adorable anyways!

Let me know when you are ready for some more questions. My latest research is on sleeping arrangements, breast feeding, and strollers! I would love to chat more with you and I also plan on joining a mother of twins group but most of them seem to take a break in the summer.

Thank you again. Hope to chat soon.

Amy

KMH June 4th, 2012 10:50 AM

Congrats, Amy! My name is Melissa, and DH and I are expecting twins this fall. We also have a 23 month-old daughter.

Obviously I am not a BTDT Twin-Mama yet, but I have gotten great advice from here and from a couple of twin families I know IRL.

Must-haves:
Amazon.com: Summer Infant 2 Pack Cotton Knit Swaddleme, White/Pink, 7-14 Pounds: Baby
These Swaddle Wraps were the BEST when DD was little. She had to be swaddled to sleep, but she seemed to be able to work her way out of the blankets. DH called it her "baby strait-jacket" but it worked like a charm.

We didn't use our Bumbo seat almost at all, we used this high-chair for DD: Amazon.com: Fisher-Price 2012 Space Saver High Chair, Scatterbug: Baby. We started setting her up at the table with us at about 4 months so she felt included at meal-time, but she didn't start solids until 6.5 months. We loved it, and loved that it didn't take up any more space than our regular dining room chair.

That same twin nursing pillow was recommended to me as well by multiple people, so I'm thinking that will be a must-have as well.

DD LOVED her swing (Amazon.com: Fisher-Price Cradle 'N Swing, My Little Snugabunny: Baby). The batteries lasted a surprisingly long time, and she still tries to climb in it when we go into the nursery :) Most twin Mamas told me not to get a 2nd one until I know whether both like it or not...you can always order one when you get home and figure things out.

We invested in a video baby monitor, and it is still the best thing E.V.E.R.! When DD was napping I could go outside and sit or work in our garden and still be able to see her. Even now I still use it so I can see her at night instead of having to go all the way upstairs to check on her. Being able to see her chest rise and fall is such a comfort, and it is fun to see what she does when I'm not there (both good and bad...she once took her diaper off at naptime and was swinging it around which was not so great, but it is also fun to see her tuck her doggie in and kiss him goodnight :heart:).

Least-faves:

DD hated the bouncy-seat, too, so that was a total waste. Every baby is different, though, so I kept it in case one of the twins likes it.

Fancy bedding sets...a complete waste! Bumpers are not safe...they pose a suffocation hazard and can be used by older children to climb out of the crib. The baby quilts in the sets cannot be used by babies, either. We just bought plain crib skirts and the sheets that went with our theme and saved a TON.

LadyBugMommyof1 June 4th, 2012 06:02 PM

Hi & congrats!!!
I'm Susan, mom to a 3 year old DD and expecting surprise twin girls in the next several weeks!

Having been a BTDT mom, the most useful thing we had was the bouncy seat (I see two other moms didn't find it helpful)...personally we just picked up 2 more for upstairs and have 2 for downstairs...to me, they were lifesavers with my DD. I had one up in the bathroom so she had a safe spot to be when I showered and one down by the table...we'd put her in it and bounce it with our feet while we ate.

The least useful thing which I ended up returning was the diaper warmer.

(edited to say...diaper wipe warmer...a huge waste of $$$)

Rae-of-Sunshine June 4th, 2012 07:08 PM

Ask away Amy ... we will be more than happy to answer your questions:

two swings or one? Two bouncers or one? Up to you. Many people will tell you to just get one of each until you see what the babies like. We ended up with 2 different swings that we got at consignment sales and they were priceless for us in the first about 4-5 months (and the one bouncer that came with that which neither liked). I know moms that had 2 sets of bouncers (one upstairs and one down). I think it is a matter too of what you have space for in the house.

Two highchairs or one? Definitely two. They will enjoy eating at the same time with the family and you would go INSANE if you had to feed them back to back.

two cribs or one? Again, you will see LOTS of different opinions on this one. I kept mine separate from the beginning for a few reasons. We had a NICU nurse come speak at our local moms of multiples meeting while I was expecting and talked to us about how they were not even allowed to let them sleep together in the NICU anymore, beause it encouraged parents to do it at home and talked about some of the dangers of it (though not many when they are still immobile, but it gets harder to separate them) .. and also because our nursery room was small, so we ended up going with two mini-cribs instead of the regular size cribs. Not as much room in there for both even if we were considering it. Again, some people say their kids only slept well together... do your reading and decide what works for you.

I think the biggest thing I have learned with two is that advice is great. Listen to lots of different ideas, then take the ones that work for you and ignore the rest. Twins to me was all about managing our days and managing our sanity in whatever way worked best for our family. I think moms of twins are some of the least judgemental people I know, because we all know you do what you have to to get by.

Speaking of that .. my best piece of advice to you is to look into a local moms of multiples or moms of twins group near you. They are great for advice and hand-me-downs or resale. If they are affiliated with the National moms of twins clubs, then you can find a local club on this link National Organization of Mothers of Twins Clubs, Inc - Home or now days just google for it :P

michelle_m June 7th, 2012 09:52 AM

Hi, Amy, and congrats! Hope all goes well for you with the pregnancy!

Product we couldn't live without: swaddle blankets. We swaddled them until they were about 6 months old.
Product we didn't need: bouncers...neither girl liked them.