JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f77-moms-and-expectant-moms-multiples/)
-   -   Wanted to say hi (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f77-moms-and-expectant-moms-multiples/2642334-wanted-to-say-hi.html)

LABs April 10th, 2013 08:45 PM

Wanted to say hi

We just got confirmation via u/s that we are having twins! my OB doesn't see patients until 12 weeks, so we went to an u/s place in the mall. not very diagnostic, but we saw two sacks with a baby in each and their heart beats. It was enough to confirm that I'm indeed carrying twins like we thought we were. I had a feeling this pg would result in twins (no family history or fertility meds) before I was pg. Then I got huge quickly and the HcG I had at 4 weeks nearly quadrupled! Nothing conclusive, but enough to make me want to know what we were getting into.

I think I'll need a new van! I need to play with car seats and see if I can fit 3 across my back bench.

KMH April 11th, 2013 09:34 AM

Re: Wanted to say hi

Hi and welcome! I'm Melissa, and I have 7.5 month old twins (and a toddler). Congrats on your babies!

The Car Seat Safety board is great at recommending seats if you tell them about your vehicle and your kids; you might want to check that out!

LABs April 11th, 2013 10:45 AM

Thank you! I need to get my hands on a Radian to see if it will work in the middle. Our large Britax seats won't work I'm sure. If a Radian works, then I can put an infant seat next to it. That would buy us a yr or so. The infant seat fits a baby up to 33 lbs. my huge toddler still fit in in at 15 months old. Not that I could lift it by that point! Then I can put the other baby in the middle of the middle seat. If my huge nearly 4 yr old fits into a Radian, then two side by side in the back might work. Then the twins can rear face in the middle row and we can keep the mini van. If that seat doesn't work, then we need a bigger people mover!

KMH April 11th, 2013 11:36 AM

For your 4-year old, a Britax Frontier might be a better option. It will last longer (higher harness slots and turns into a booster), and I think it might be as narrow or narrower than the Radian (just the regular Frontier, not the SICT version).

** I have never actually played with the Frontier in my vehicles, so don't quote me!

LABs April 11th, 2013 04:50 PM

He is in a Frontier! Its a big seat! Not any bigger than the Boulevard we have as it sits low. I love the Frontier! My oldest boy is huge and it has tons of growth room. I'd be moving him to behind the driver and put my 2 yr old (then 3 yr old) fwd facing in the middle back of the van. So I'd have a big girl, preschooler and baby in each row. That would work until the babies need rear facing seats. Then my older boy might be mature enough for a booster. It would be too hard to work a booster with a five pt harness next to it. The whole thing is a mess! If the center seats on both rows had 3 pt harnesses instead of lap belts then it would be easier! We need a land yaught!

Celry April 11th, 2013 07:04 PM

Diono may be another option. They have a 10 year expiration and I think they have one that goes from 5 lbs to 120. The 5 lb range might not work great with a twin though. We had to bring our car seats into the hospital for a car seat check before my twins could be released because they were considered preemies. They were born at 36w5d, but anything before 37w around here requires the check. Our seats went down to 4 lbs and one of my twins needed that since she lost weight before gaining again.
Congrats and welcome!

LABs April 11th, 2013 08:54 PM

Diono is what they renamed the company. We are talking about the same seat. I'm going to call a mom of triplets and see how she got them along the back of her van. She has 5 total.

KMH April 12th, 2013 07:59 AM

Our twins didn't fit into the Diono Radians when they came home at 5.5 and 6 pounds.

LABs April 13th, 2013 09:44 PM

I was thinking of the Radian for one of my boys! I know I can throw an infant seat back there as we did that with my last baby. That way I kept my 16 month old rear facing until he reached the rear facing weight at two yrs old and I brought the baby up to the middle and put the older fwd facing in the back. My 2 1/2 yr old is happily rear facing now as he is a much smaller child then his brother. I'd need to fwd face him if he goes to the back.

My youngest was 2 weeks early and weighed 6 lbs 8 oz at birth. He was under 6 lbs when we took him home. He fit into the Combi infant seat beautifully! He was under 18" too. The seat is rated 5 lbs + and I can totally see a tiny one fitting. The seat expands to hold a toddler, but they get cranky at that angle and want a convertible. The seat base does prop them up more at 20 lbs to try and compensate. I love the seat and hope it fits so I can buy two! I've been feeling too awful so far to go play car seats. I have been drooling over the new Nissan 12 passenger van online. Boy would that back bench be nice for bfing and changing diapers. Plenty of car seat tether points, headrests on every seat and side curtain airbags all the way back! I might have to test drive one!

KMH April 14th, 2013 07:14 AM

Ooh, that van sounds perfect for you!

Rae-of-Sunshine April 16th, 2013 10:49 AM

Hi and welcome! I am not help with big vans, because we only have the two, but I wanted to say congrats and welcome :)