JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f77-moms-and-expectant-moms-multiples/)
-   -   Cars (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f77-moms-and-expectant-moms-multiples/2661083-cars.html)

kayakr June 24th, 2013 12:03 PM

Cars

What kind of car fits two car seats and a teenager and two adults? Not many :(

What do you guys have that you need three car seats?

LABs June 24th, 2013 12:25 PM

Re: Cars

A larger sedan would work. I could easily put myself and two car seats in my DHs Toyota Corolla. I've had two preteens and an infant seat in it and had plenty of room. An SUV would fit 3 across easily. It depends on how much gear you need to haul between the twins and teen. An 8 seater van can do 3 across. I have two huge carseats and can sit next to them. My 6'+ brother fits well too. Then you would have a ton of room for gear.

With a sedan make sure there is enough room for a rear facing seat depth wise. For an older baby you can have it at a steeper angle, but its still a lot of room. Rear facing is recommend until at least two. The nice thing is it gives more shoulder room for the teen/adult. Bad thing is the two yr old thinks its funny to kick your arm/shoulder.

LABs June 24th, 2013 12:25 PM

A larger sedan would work. I could easily put myself and two car seats in my DHs Toyota Corolla. I've had two preteens and an infant seat in it and had plenty of room. An SUV would fit 3 across easily. It depends on how much gear you need to haul between the twins and teen. An 8 seater van can do 3 across. I have two huge carseats and can sit next to them. My 6'+ brother fits well too. Then you would have a ton of room for gear.

With a sedan make sure there is enough room for a rear facing seat depth wise. For an older baby you can have it at a steeper angle, but its still a lot of room. Rear facing is recommend until at least two. The nice thing is it gives more shoulder room for the teen/adult. Bad thing is the two yr old thinks its funny to kick your arm/shoulder.

KMH June 24th, 2013 12:59 PM

We bit the bullet and bought a minivan :D We had an SUV that would have fit everyone, but it would have been a pain the way the seating was arranged. I never, EVER pictured myself as a minivan Mama, but it is amazing. There is loads of room for gear, car seats (we have 3 in car seats), and it gets much better gas mileage than my old SUV.

You can definitely do 2 car seats and a teenager in a larger sedan...definitely try the car seats before you buy!

JulieMc June 24th, 2013 08:03 PM

You're actually not quite as limited as you think. I, on the other hand, need something that fits 4 carseats and two adults!! When the twins are here, I'll also have a 3-year-old and a 4-year-old. Both of our cars seat only 5. Soooo...we have to get something with 3rd row seating. Options are minivan or other things like Honda Pilot, etc. I'm not sure what we're going to go with; it will depend on finances closer to the time of their birth. I really don't want a minivan though..unless there's one out there that's a little higher up than the regular ones, and that has 4WD. 4WD is a must in the winter!

loveneverfails June 25th, 2013 07:12 AM

I had an SUV w/ 3rd row but I still had everyone in the 2nd row 3 across. Two infant seats side by side and a booster outboard. Sadly my suv had issues and we traded it for a minivan. I hate to say it but it is SO much easier!

LABs June 25th, 2013 03:33 PM

Look into a Subaru outback. That would give you lots of room! You can fit three large car seats side by side.

I'm trying to fit 6 kids with four in seats into one vehicle. Its doable, but pretty ugly. I'm going to have to load my kids in a certain order and two are going to be "trapped"!

kayakr June 27th, 2013 11:57 AM

I was afraid you would say min van. :( I do love the mpg's on those way better then SUV or crossovers. We travel a lot too specially with a teenager that plays travel hockey. We will also need room for some of his hockey friends and possibly his girlfriend some day soon :( The thought of 15 mpg vs 25-29 just kills me!

I think getting a minivan will be my DH's worst day ever.

MIL2lissy8 July 19th, 2013 09:55 AM

Gretchen, I am a grandmother of twin boys age 3.5 as well as 7 other littles. I got a Hyundai Entourage (which is now a kia something) and I love it. I get about 300 miles to a tank, have traveled all over the place with it and can fit the twin stroller in the back as well as a single if needed. currently I have 3 car seats in place but have room for one more and could fit one more person (a smaller size in a booster maybe) between the two carseats in the back. there is really nothing I dislike about it EXCEPT I wish I had gotten a back-up camera. it is hard to back out of a parking space with all the upright car seats in. currently, i prefer to pull through to a spot so I don't have to back out, if at all possible. I would encourage you to check out your options -- being a mini-van momma is not really all the bad.

Just_Marie September 3rd, 2013 07:52 PM

I have five kids in carseats. I drive a minivan and a full size suv. Minivans rock!

amberbanegas February 3rd, 2014 04:58 AM

A lot of mini vans have cool features… However, I think I want an SUV with captain seats in the middle and 3rd row. I would put the two eldest in the very back and the car seat in the second row. That is my plan for now… I will let you know when we actually BUY something.

angelinal09 March 7th, 2014 07:28 AM

*sigh*We're getting a bus. Yes, a bus. Well, sort of like a bus. It's either this:NV Passenger Media Gallery - Nissan Passenger Van Pictures, Video this:Freightliner Sprinter: Passenger Van Highlights

kayakr March 7th, 2014 08:38 AM

BUS? wow! We ended up with a GMC Acadia with Captian chairs. It is doing the job and DH was happy to not have to drive away from the car lot with van.