JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Moms of Girls (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f188-moms-girls/)
-   -   Having "The Talk" with an 8 year old (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f188-moms-girls/2687107-having-talk-8-year-old.html)

GingerMomof3 October 20th, 2013 12:26 PM

Having "The Talk" with an 8 year old

My husband and I are TTC and have taken out my IUD this week so I've started a heavy period for the first time in 6 years. My 8 year old daughter has started asking questions about why I need pads that are in my bathroom. Why is my tummy hurting, etc. She also wants to know how me and her dad are "trying to have a baby." She's my first and only child so I'm clueless as to how to answer her questions while keeping it age appropriate?? Any suggestions on how you handled this or plan to? Thanks!

2pinks&ablue October 23rd, 2013 11:52 AM

Re: Having "The Talk" with an 8 year old

I think at this age it's more important to answer their questions honestly, without giving them any information that they aren't asking for. Basically, answer their questions truthfully, but keep the answers short.

MommytoZoeAlyssa November 7th, 2013 09:56 AM

My daughter is 7 and ask some general questions nothing to much yet but I know its going to happen soon. I was looking around online and I thought this might help with how to explain the period and why your using the pads. It has some useful info.
First Period Talk - Pick Your Day to Talk to Your Daughter | Kotex®

good luck :)

GingerMomof3 November 7th, 2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoes_Mommy (Post 27783903)
My daughter is 7 and ask some general questions nothing to much yet but I know its going to happen soon. I was looking around online and I thought this might help with how to explain the period and why your using the pads. It has some useful info.
First Period Talk - Pick Your Day to Talk to Your Daughter | Kotex®

good luck :)

Thank you for sharing that with me!! Her biggest question now is "How do ya'll try to have a baby?" And all I have done so far is change the subject, lol. I did tell her once that it was something that her dad & I pray about together & that satisfied her for the moment. But she still questions it on occasion.

Emma and Avas mommy November 8th, 2013 06:49 AM

A few months ago I talked to my daughter about puberty and starting her period just because I know that kids are starting sooner and sooner (this scares the crap out of me). My daughter is 7 now. I haven't talked to her about babies or anything yet just that change and hair and stuff. I don't know when I will talk to her about babies. I think she might be a little young for that.