JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Moms of Gradeschoolers (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f36-moms-gradeschoolers/)
-   -   Scholastic books? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f36-moms-gradeschoolers/2618098-scholastic-books.html)

Momof4Boyz January 24th, 2013 12:27 PM

Scholastic books?

Do you get the monthly scholastic flier from your GS'ers school?

If so, how often do you order from it?

We do and our teacher only does online orders which works out great for me but with each order I get another coupon for a free book which ends up making me order more the next month... well played lol.

SpazTaz January 24th, 2013 02:25 PM

Re: Scholastic books?

I'm not sure if we get it MONTHLY, maybe we do, but yes we get it multiple times a school year. I only order from it 1-2 times a year at best (they're pricey IMO). But, if there's something my son really wants and he wants to spend his allowance money, I don't mind if he does as it's his money. So, maybe every other month depending on if there's something he chooses to spend his money on or not.

Kimchi January 25th, 2013 04:20 AM

Our school used to do it and I would order every time. This year they stopped doing it and IMO it is really too bad. My kids miss it (and so do I!)

Buggymom January 25th, 2013 06:08 AM

Her school doesn't do it that often...only twice this year so far. I'm guessing we should get another one soon. We ordered the first time and forgot to the second time...so I bought her a book at Target. When she was in preschool we ordered every time too...they have pretty cute dollar books for kiddos her age.

Momof4Boyz January 25th, 2013 06:26 AM

I didn't think the prices were too bad. The book fair is expensive which I don't get because it's the same company? But the order forms, they always have a $1 book which you can't beat that and then typically most little kid books are under $5, but they always have a set of like 8 books for $10 or $12 and that's what I usually get. We go through SO many books every week (20 minutes of reading a day) and you can only read one book so many times before you want to poke yourself in the eye so we buy a lot of books lol.

SpazTaz January 25th, 2013 08:05 AM

I tend to skip buying books and check them out from the library instead. We have a great county public library, plus the school has a library as well and both are free to use. So, we've stopped wasting the money on books for the most part, and just check them out for free at the school or public library. Once in awhile I buy them, but I can get them online for no more than 50 cents with shipping included typically, or buy them from someone in my community for 50 cents or less.

clouise February 2nd, 2013 06:29 PM

I buy from them probably every other month.

UniqueHandle February 6th, 2013 10:20 AM

My kindy girl gets the fliers every other month and I usually order one or two books. If I remember, I check amazon first to see if the books I am purchasing are on point price wise.... usually they are! :)

kmath February 13th, 2013 04:53 PM

I don't usually order from them. Mainly because I buy books about once a month for me and get him books then. He gets plenty of books though so he can't complain. I usually give him $20 for the book fairs and he buys what he wants there.