JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Moms of Gradeschoolers (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f36-moms-gradeschoolers/)
-   -   Cursive with everything now including tests for Third Graders? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f36-moms-gradeschoolers/2622221-cursive-everything-now-including-tests-for-third-graders.html)

Mom2Brendan February 5th, 2013 09:23 AM

Cursive with everything now including tests for Third Graders?

Any opinions ?

Any kid that was a Third Grader experienced this ?

SpazTaz February 5th, 2013 03:01 PM

Re: Cursive with everything now including tests for Third Graders?

Yep, it started in 2nd grade with my son. They started with regular printing in K and 1st and the first half of 2nd, then the second half of second they learned cursive, and by the last quarter they had to use it always. He's now in 5th, and it's the same way.

I don't see an issue with it. It was the same way when I was in school. I did not have the option to print or use cursive until I was in my freshman year of high school. At that point, we could type, print, or write in cursive. But between 2nd and 8th grade it was 100% cursive only on all school work.

Mom2Brendan February 5th, 2013 05:46 PM

Thanks

Momof4Boyz February 6th, 2013 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mommie2One (Post 27058134)
Yep, it started in 2nd grade with my son. They started with regular printing in K and 1st and the first half of 2nd, then the second half of second they learned cursive, and by the last quarter they had to use it always. He's now in 5th, and it's the same way.

I don't see an issue with it. It was the same way when I was in school. I did not have the option to print or use cursive until I was in my freshman year of high school. At that point, we could type, print, or write in cursive. But between 2nd and 8th grade it was 100% cursive only on all school work.

Same here! I expect Jay will start learning cursive next year - 2nd grade. My 6th grader has a choice though, he can print or write in cursive but the teachers preference is typed - probably because it's easier to read.

clouise February 6th, 2013 12:11 PM

I don't think they even teach it here. My daughter taught herself and prefers it. She is eight and in second grade.

kmath February 13th, 2013 04:51 PM

I'm not sure if they teach it in the public schools here. D started learning it in PreK at the private school he went to, so we have kept it up. I am pretty sure the older kids I take care of use print for assignments.