JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Moms of Gradeschoolers (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f36-moms-gradeschoolers/)
-   -   Lying (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f36-moms-gradeschoolers/2681116-lying.html)

Peace.Love.Pepsi September 24th, 2013 09:07 AM

Lying

How do you handle Lying?

wefrogy September 24th, 2013 07:05 PM

Re: Lying

that's a tough one. I punish for lying in addition to or instead of the actual thing they do. for example if they break something and then try to hide it or straight up lie about it. I express to them that I am disappointed that it is broke, but accidents happen, but since you lied about it or tried to hide it you lose your ipod or whatever for two weeks. or if they get in trouble at school and lie about it I talk the situation out with them and then punish for the lying about it.

My 15 y/o son will lie and sneak if he thinks he's going to get into trouble. My 10 y/o daughter doesn't lie much at all and if she does she feels guilty about it and will come tell me later that she didn't tell me the whole truth. That has weight with me and usually she will not get in trouble and we will talk it out

Peace.Love.Pepsi September 24th, 2013 10:17 PM

Ive been doing that. He just seems like he dosent really care. I guess i havent found an effective punishment for it.
His teacher called today and told me that he hasnt turned in homework for two weeks. Hes been telling me he did it in his study hall. And i of course believed him. I guess that is my repeated mistake. I want so badly to believe him.

wefrogy September 25th, 2013 04:14 AM

with my son nothing got through to him as far as punishment for anything. We could ground him, take everything away, make him miss out on going with friends and events etc nothing worked. But around 4th grade we tried sentences. We would make him write a sentence x amount of times. That seemed to be the only thing that he hated. Over time it became less effective though.

My advice is to call him out on everything. If he says he did his homework make him show you. If he says he left it at school shoot the teacher an email that afternoon and ask if he turned it in. Explain to him that he has broken your trust and until he earns it back he needs to prove to you that he is telling the truth.

How old is your son? What grade is he in?

Peace.Love.Pepsi September 25th, 2013 08:16 AM

He is 9 and in 4th. I had to write sentences as a kid, maybe that would irritate him enough to stop.
This last weekend we dropped all our other kids off at their grammas and when he went to get out we told him he had to come with us because we couldent trust him to stay with her. That seemed to get through to him. He stayed in the back seat crying about it. So maybe that will help in the long run.

wefrogy September 25th, 2013 09:25 AM

it's a tough one. Good luck and I hope things get better for you and him

LvMyLaxKid September 26th, 2013 06:14 AM

Somehow he hasn't figured that out yet, and have never caught him lying. He always tells us the truth. At least I THINK he's telling the truth......LOL But seriously, I know my child. And I DO know that he's good about leaving certain details out, to make it sound better for his case. Like if he gets in trouble at school, he'll make it SOUND like he was innocent, just by wording it different, or leaving certain details out. But he's never said, "I never did that!" when he did, etc.

Peace.Love.Pepsi September 26th, 2013 08:22 AM

Thats how mine started. omitting details, then starting to change them, then it just got worse.