JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Moms of Infants (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f35-moms-infants/)
-   -   Breast fed baby will not take bottle anymore (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f35-moms-infants/2593481-breast-fed-baby-will-not-take-bottle-anymore.html)

vanessa11 November 8th, 2012 06:35 PM

Breast fed baby will not take bottle anymore

Hi ladies,
I haven't been on in forever and I know this is where I will get some helpful answeres. My DD is 6 1/2 months and has been breast and bottle fed since birth. For the past 2 weeks she will not take a bottle from anyone. It is to the point where I CANNOT leave her with anyone because if she starts to get hungry she will cry until I breast feed her. I don't know what to do!! My doctor told me I need to let her cry it out until she takes a bottle I'm so Stressed out about this, I can't leave her at all!!!
Any advice from mother who had this problem or anyone who knew someone who had this problem? This is my first child and I don't want to do anything to upset her.
Thank you so much

Linda32 November 9th, 2012 12:57 AM

Re: Breast fed baby will not take bottle anymore

You should not spoil her. My friend's baby girl is just like yours. As the baby doesn't accept bottle, her mother in law always feed the baby with bowl and spoon. I think that's bad.

vanessa11 November 9th, 2012 09:15 AM

Sois it bad to let her cry it out ?

SJane November 13th, 2012 08:22 AM

Same goes for my DS -- he cries when he wont drink his milk from the bottle and wants mine instead. However, as the doctor has told you, leave her be. She will take the bottle anyway. Try to not be around her when she;s about to drink it though.

momie2b9-20-11 November 13th, 2012 09:33 AM

My girl is now 13 months old and never really did take to the bottle. It was very hard at times! Especially since she has a very fast metabolism and would eat every hour and half or two). We tried several things but none really seemed to work really well. I did notice though that if we did wait until she was super hungry that she was often so frustrated that she didn't even want to try and suck from the bottle. CIO (crying it out) can work for some things but with taking bottles I have found it not to work very well. I'd try maybe and offer her a bottle before she starts getting hungry. So, when you know it's about time for her feeding - offer the bottle then before she starts wanting boob. I noticed that Kynslee would sometimes drink an ounce or two then of pumped milk before wanting the breast. maybe keep trying to catch her before hungry and getting a few ounce via bottle in her and then every day try and slowly work on her getting a full bottle down - once she gets a few ounces down bf her as a way to "praise" her and then try and slowly stop offering the boob at the end. I wish I had worked at getting Kynslee to drink from a bottle more but I finally just gave up and wold bf her. I wish now that I had stayed at it and she would take a bottle.

proudMoM26 November 15th, 2012 08:53 PM

My DD never wanted a bottle (though I didn't really introduce her to a bottle/pacifier)...do you use pumped milk in your bottle? My DD never wanted a milk formula but when it is a pumped she will definitely drink it even in a bottle but not all the time just when she is not hungry or sleepy.