JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Moms of Infants (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f35-moms-infants/)
-   -   Just needing some advice (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f35-moms-infants/2656848-just-needing-some-advice.html)

amcashes June 7th, 2013 08:08 AM

Just needing some advice

I have a almost 4 mo old, 3 year old, 6 year old and a 8 year old. My 3 year old goes to a special school for special needs children, my 8 year old goes to public school and my 6 year old is home schooled. I just enrolled in school as I am a stay at home mom. As an adult learner for a high school education they want me to make time for 6 HOURS A DAY just for my school. I am scared I cannot do it. I need advice as to how to do it.

SWFLbaby June 30th, 2013 11:18 AM

Re: Just needing some advice

I commend you for trying to go back to school. It won't be easy, but it can be done. You may have to wake up a couple of hours before the kids do to get a few hours in. Then you can accomplish another couple of hours while the baby and 6 yr old nap - if the 6 yr old doesn't nap, let him/her watch a movie while the baby naps and you can get some school work done. Then in the evening, when your S.O. comes home from work, or after your kids go to bed for the night, you can finish the last 2 hours. If you break it up, it is doable. I went back to school when my daughter was in school, and I broke up my study time like that. After she went to bed I was up until the wee hours of the morning studying, but I knew it would be a short time that I would be making the sacrifice, and it would benefit me the rest of my life. So don't get discouraged - be strong, and press on!

SelinsMom July 9th, 2013 09:19 PM

Honestly, I do not have any advice for you. As I only have one child and not all that stuff on my plate like you did. But I want to commend you for taking all that on! Good luck and I hope you find a schedule that works for you.

judyblot September 19th, 2013 10:53 PM

Can you hire a baby sitter?

LUSHaye October 20th, 2013 07:02 AM

Six hours sounds about right. I'm assuming they are online classes since you have little ones at home. Sometimes online classes can be more time consuming than going into an actual classroom, but that's because you're essentially doing all of the work. A lot of it is reading. I agree with waking up a bit earlier to help shave off some of that time. Then try to get a half hour to an hour in every so often during the day. OR! You can try to get the majority of it done during the evening hours. Once the smaller ones are in bed, it could be easier for you to sit down and focus on whatever task you need to get done. Weekends could be a savior.
My mom worked and went to school full-time with three kids (she's a teacher now). I'm not sure how she did it, but I often saw her sitting at the kitchen table at night doing her classes. Pretty much any time she got a spare second she was doing schoolwork. I know it was hard for her, but she did it and now she's doing what she's always wanted.

icymommy December 1st, 2013 08:28 AM

Are you doing the homeschooling? What hours are the 3 year old going to school? Can you break up the 6 hours? Like take the class 3 hours at night when they sleep and 3 hours throughout the day?

sandradee December 7th, 2013 12:16 PM

I have a friend who got her bachelor's with 3 kids at home. I also went to college with someone who had two very small children, worked almost full time, and somehow managed to get her studying done. Studying when the kids are sleeping is one of the best methods.