JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Moms of Teens and Preteens (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f38-moms-teens-and-preteens/)
-   -   When to get child a cell phone? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f38-moms-teens-and-preteens/2681604-when-to-get-child-cell-phone.html)

BrandyS September 26th, 2013 10:05 AM

When to get child a cell phone?

Okay, I have a 12 year old and 10 year old... Both want cell phones. I just can't wrap my head around the need. Other than letting me know about band, academic team and soccer for my oldest I don't think he needs one. I have unlimited text and talk. Both kids can use mine. My son wants more privacy, but I don't think he should be texting anything that I can't see. My husband and I have thought about giving him an old iphone(no sim) and getting a texting app so he can text me from school if schedules change... Help opinions and thoughts please!!

wefrogy September 26th, 2013 12:08 PM

Re: When to get child a cell phone?

My son who is 15 got his first cell phone for his 13th birthday. He started asking at 11, but we didn't feel the need for him to have one then and we had some behavior and trust issues with him. also he was not one that socialized much outside of school and was immature for his age. During the two years from when he first got it until recently we grounded him from it for months at a time due behavior issues. we've had an understanding with him since day one that I will read all his text and he is not allowed to delete anything until I see them. I have lightened up with that a little more recently.

my daughter who is 10 got hers for her 10th birthday this past March. she is very social and has been tying up my phone with calls and text for the past two years. she is also mature for her age and we do not have behavioral issues with her.

do your kids have ipods? if so they can get a free texting app on their iPods.

BrandyS September 27th, 2013 08:58 AM

No ipods(hense the iphone without sim). My daughter paid for a kindle this summer~ she has a calling app on it. She is very social. My son on the other hand is not as social. He is very bright and mature, it has always been a problem for him to find friends that are on his level academically. Sometimes it can be hard being that bright, but he is still a kid and he still acts like a 12 year old boy.

#5in2005 December 9th, 2013 08:02 AM

My oldest got hers sometime in grade 9. My other kids can get one in grade 9 too if they're ready and willing to buy one and pay for it. So my #2 is technically allowed, and I'm sure she'll get one sooner of later, but for now she's waiting.

cybele December 9th, 2013 10:57 AM

They have to buy them themselves. When they can afford one they can have one.

14 seems about the age they can come up with the money for some reason.