JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Moms of Toddlers (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f117-moms-toddlers/)
-   -   Swimming (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f117-moms-toddlers/2556152-swimming.html)

mommy2Breana+Brandon August 1st, 2012 08:19 AM

Swimming

Does your toddler know how to swim?

Have they taken swimming lessons at all?

Evenblindly August 5th, 2012 01:33 PM

Re: Swimming

nope. She thinks she can swim, and hates for me to hold on to her always pushing away. But at her preschool they offer swim lessons in the summer only to 3 and up.

littlenoell August 5th, 2012 07:55 PM

my toddler is afraid of swimming. :( gotta take him to swim soon.

SEAmama August 17th, 2012 05:08 PM

Does your toddler know how to swim? She is a TOTAL champ with water wings. She doesn't even want to be touched. "Just let me swim Mom" is her usual look.

Have they taken swimming lessons at all? She did when she was 4 months but I'm not sure it did anything.

Rozz-berry August 26th, 2012 10:39 PM

Since I became a SAHM we've been going to mommy and me swim 2-3 times a week. Before that I never had time. He likes swim classes, and the games and songs are great but I try to limit the dunking. The teachers kind of push you to dunk every time you have them "swim" to the wall and every time they "fall" off the wall but when he looks like he's frazzled and had enough I just let him stay above the water. I know its important to do repetition but I want to keep it fun for him.

Its kind of an intense swimming school and I take more the low pressure approach. He's improved a lot since we started going.

MellieB September 3rd, 2012 05:42 PM

Lucy will start lessons in a few months.

Familylover September 28th, 2012 06:18 PM

Yes! We started swimming lessons recently and it's been great for my daughter

Trish0102 March 26th, 2013 10:54 PM

My toddler hasn't learned yet but his dad is slowly teaching him since we live just a few blocks away from the shore.

lrowe70 April 8th, 2013 11:42 PM

He's getting there. We've been in lessons off and on since he was about 8 months old. He loves the water.

SWFLbaby June 22nd, 2013 07:14 AM

Yes, we live in Florida and are around pools all the time, so I started my son early. When he was 1 1/2 I did a group 'beginner' lesson, which taught him nothing. So last summer, when he was 2, I hired a private swim teacher. We met once a week, and in 8 weeks he was swimming on his own. Each time we'd go to the pool after the lesson, I would practice what she did with him, so he could strengthen his skills. This summer, he is now 3, and is a much stronger swimmer - he can now jump in and grab dive sticks off the bottom of the pool. Private lessons are a little pricier, but definitely the way to go. He listened to her and did exactly what she asked of him - he would never have done that with me!