JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Moms of Toddlers (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f117-moms-toddlers/)
-   -   traveling abroad for the first time (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f117-moms-toddlers/2576112-traveling-abroad-for-first-time.html)

MzzMommaD September 21st, 2012 01:43 PM

traveling abroad for the first time

Hi fellow mommies! I have some questions for you. My DH and I are planning to travel abroad to some central america villages that are quite remote and secluded. We would be traveling with friends who travel there for months on end regularily. We have never taken our son out of the country before and dont know what to expect. I understand we will have to get him a passport. But how else can we prepare to travel abroad? What safety and health measures should we take? Traveling ideas or tips? I will be scheduling him for his shots series soon and will also be speaking with his doctor, but we probably wont be traveling until next year.When we DO go traveling it will be in Nicaragua and we will travel down a river going village to village where our frines have lived. They have build homes with the locals for some of the families to live in, helped gather and grow foods, and much more, thye are very respected there. So we will be traveling in an area that our friends are very experienced with and know many of the villagers and the travel guides very well.

mommy2Breana+Brandon September 24th, 2012 06:31 AM

Re: traveling abroad for the first time

oh I am not sure. I have only traveled out of the country with Breana when she was 14 months old but that was on a cruise.

Good Luck and have fun.

I would ask your doctor.

Trish0102 March 26th, 2013 09:56 PM

I haven't travelled with my kids yet. I think they're not ready yet.

lrowe70 April 8th, 2013 10:41 PM

We've traveled quite a bit with our babe since he was 6 months old.
Aside from a Passport, there is nothing you really need. Nothing out of the ordinary.
Of course check the safety of the area you are going, not just crime but safety of drinking water. But you should do this with or without a child.

I always double check carseat laws and types of transportation(many places don't have vehicles with seatbelts for carseats, so it's a big waste to bring them).
We also check roads and sidewalks(ie: if there are a lot of cobblestones we don't take an umbrella stroller).
Weather and dress codes: there are some places where it is nearly expected for kids to run around nude or in only a diaper, while other places this is not the norm.

Not sure what type of river boat you will be in, but if it's small I would take a child sized lifejacket.

Have fun, we find travel as a family to be some of these bonding times for all of us. I'd never consider taking a trip without my son.

1stTimeParent May 21st, 2013 01:15 AM

We're planning on travelling to the US next year, would the airline allow me to put my son on my lap, I don't think we could carry a stroller AND a car seat on our trip...

janinag47 May 23rd, 2013 02:35 PM

wow, really enjoyed @lrowe70's tips. I will use these too for when we travel with my little boy :). My hubby is from Spain originally (though he's lived here for years), good to know!

SWFLbaby June 24th, 2013 05:25 PM

Since you will be traveling to a remote location, they may not have certain things readily available when you might need them, so be sure to bring bug repellent, anti-itch cream, band-aids, antibiotic ointment, fever reducer, etc...